Where Does Bossy Rank On Your List of Greats Goal Scorers

FASTHANDS*

He's one of the greatest, but where does the great Mike Bossy rank on your list of the greatest goal scorers?? It's a travesty that his carrer came to an early end, as he was hampered with back problems.

TheDevilMadeMe

Aug 28, 2006
Brooklyn

Doug Harvey and Dominik Hasek were better goalscorers than Bossy? :sarcasm:

Bossy is obviously behind Gretzky, who played at exactly the same time and scored a good amount more goals in that time frame

I think the only guys who are definitely ahead of Bossy in the goal scoring department were Bobby Hull, Mario Lemieux, Gordie Howe, Wayne Gretzky, Maurice Richard, and Charlie Conacher.

Bossy is probably #7 on the list, but there are a few others who contend for the spot like Cy Denneny, Nels Stewart, and Phil Esposito.

Ogopogo*

Gordie Howe
Bobby Hull
Maurice Richard
Phil Esposito
Wayne Gretzky
Mike Bossy
Cy Denneny
Cecil "Babe" Dye
Nels Stewart
Mario Lemieux

jkrx

Feb 4, 2010

Bossy is obviously behind Gretzky, who played at exactly the same time and scored a good amount more goals in that time frame

I think the only guys who are definitely ahead of Bossy in the goal scoring department were Bobby Hull, Mario Lemieux, Gordie Howe, Wayne Gretzky, Maurice Richard, and Charlie Conacher.

Bossy is probably #7 on the list, but there are a few others who contend for the spot like Cy Denneny, Nels Stewart, and Phil Esposito.

Oh sorry was a bit tired when I read his post. Thought he just wanted a ranking of Bossy.

Dennis Bonvie

Dec 29, 2007
Connecticut

Funny, I don't think of Mario, Gordie & Gretzky as being goal scorers. Seems like they scored tons of goals because they are 3 of the 4 greatest players ever, far better than the rest.

Hull, Richard & Conacher fit my definition of goal scorers and Bossy is on the same level. Probably ahead of Conacher. And Pavel Bure should also be right there.

Psycho Papa Joe

Porkchop Hoser
Feb 27, 2002
Cesspool, Ontario
Visit site
Best shooter I've ever seen. Imagine what his goal scoring numbers could have been had he been allowed to play pond hockey by Arbour like Gretzky and Lemieux were able to. I said it back then and I'll say it now, on the Oilers, playing pond hockey in the 80's, IMO he would have scored 100 goals.

Look at his playoff goal scoring numbers during the Isles dynasty years. Nobody touches that type of dominance in the goalscoring department. 61 goals in 72 playoff games. Not even Gretzky during the Oilers cup years scored goals at that rate.

Last edited:

TheDevilMadeMe

Aug 28, 2006
Brooklyn
I realize that Bossy was a more versatile goal scorer than Gretzky. Probably the most versatile goal scorer of all time (Hull and Conacher specialized in the slapshot, neither Gretzky or Lemieux was the guy to stand in front of the net being punished). But Gretzky still found a way to put in more goals, while playing at the same time. The "if Bossy were allowed to play like Gretzky" is a good point though. Perhaps Gretzky was so good at controlling the pace of the game and creating offense (through playmaking more than anything) that he was allowed to play in a way that also inflated his goal totals?

pappyline

Jul 3, 2005
Mass/formerly Ont
TheDevilMadeMe;(Hull and Conacher specialized in the slapshot said:
Not quite true. Hull may have been known for his slapshot & certainly scored a lot of goals that way but if you watch the games, you will see he scored a lot on wrist shots & on dekes. Hull was a very versatile goal scorer & a damn good playmaker too.

I have Bossy up there. trailing Hull, Howe, rocket & mario.

Last edited:

FASTHANDS*

Certainly in my top 5. He only failed to score less then 50 goals once, and that was his last season in 1986-87, when his back was a wreck and he had 38 goals in 63 games, a pace that translates to 48 goals in 80 games. In the Isalnders run to 4 straight cups, he scored 17 goals three times. To bad injuries put a premature end to what already was a brilliant carrer.

Infinite Vision*

1. Lemieux
2. Gretzky
3. Ovechkin
4. Hull
5. Richard
6. Howe
7. Bossy

habsfan92

Jun 5, 2005
winnipeg
what is the criteria exactly? Longevity combined with goal scoring? Howe should not be up there. If Howe is there, then Gartner, Dino C., and Andreychuk should also be. I would think that prolific scoring during the career, so.....
Gretzky, Lemieux, Bossy, Richard, Hull, Kurri, Lafleur, Ovechkin (will probably move up as career progresses), just to start the list.

revolverjgw

Oct 6, 2003
Nova Scotia
what is the criteria exactly? Longevity combined with goal scoring? Howe should not be up there. If Howe is there, then Gartner, Dino C., and Andreychuk should also be. I would think that prolific scoring during the career, so.....
Gretzky, Lemieux, Bossy, Richard, Hull, Kurri, Lafleur, Ovechkin (will probably move up as career progresses), just to start the list.

Why would Howe not be up there? He's one of only 6 players to lead the league in goals 3 straight years. He's one of only 6 players to lead the league in goals in 5 different seasons.

habsfan92

Jun 5, 2005
winnipeg
It is myself personally, I do not feel that Howe was a great goal scorer. I would think that since the thread is about Bossy, who was a natural scorer, that the others I would put in that grouping would be also great natural scorers. I suppose that Charlie Conacher should also be there, as Howes' equal with 5 goal scoring titles, 3 of which were consecutive, the other two back-to-back.
Bobby Hull had less scoring titles than Howe (I assume) but I would not say that Bobby was less a goal scorer than Howe. Bure was great, Bondra was great, let's face it a lot of them were great.
But personally I feel based on pure scoring ability, Howe should not be top five.
Just my opinion. Bossy is top five though. Esposito is in there also.

Dark Shadows

Jun 19, 2007
Canada
www.robotnik.com
It is myself personally, I do not feel that Howe was a great goal scorer. I would think that since the thread is about Bossy, who was a natural scorer, that the others I would put in that grouping would be also great natural scorers. I suppose that Charlie Conacher should also be there, as Howes' equal with 5 goal scoring titles, 3 of which were consecutive, the other two back-to-back.
Bobby Hull had less scoring titles than Howe (I assume) but I would not say that Bobby was less a goal scorer than Howe. Bure was great, Bondra was great, let's face it a lot of them were great.
But personally I feel based on pure scoring ability, Howe should not be top five.
Just my opinion. Bossy is top five though. Esposito is in there also.
Bobby Hull has more goal scoring titles than any other player

jkrx

Feb 4, 2010
Bobby Hull is probably the best goal scorer I've seen and thats what we are talking about, right? Bossys ranking in goal scoring abilty alone? Ofcourse Gretzky is up there too I can't really rank them but I think I would put Bossy just outside the top 6 after Hull, Howe, Esposito, Gretzky, Richard and Lemieux. I won't put Ovechkin ahead of Bossy, yet. I'm pretty sure he will top him after next season though.

habsfan92

Jun 5, 2005
winnipeg
Bobby Hull had more, I beg your pardon.
So-top five in no order:Gretzky, Lemieux, Bobby Hull, Esposito, then who?
Brett Hull? Conacher? Howe? Richard? Why not Bossy?
I am in my 40's, and I have not had the pleasure of seeing Howe in his prime, or Esposito, or Conacher, or Richard. But I can sure attest to the goal scoring abilities of the ones I have mentioned. I would definately have Bossy up there as one of the best scorers in my lifetime.

habsfan92

Jun 5, 2005
winnipeg
Just to throw some numbers out there:
Bossy: 573 gls in 752 games=0.76 gpg
Gordie: 801 gls in 1767 gms=0.45 gpg
Espo:717 gls in 1282 gms=0.56 gpg
Marcel Dionne:731 gls in 1348 gms=0.54 gpg
Lafleur:560 gls in 1127 gms=0.50 gpg
Gretzky: 894 gls in 1487 gms=0.60 gpg
Mario:690 gls in 915 gms=0.75 gpg
Brett Hull:741 gls in 1269 gms=0.58 gpg
Bobby Hull:560 gls in 1063 gms=0.53 gpg

Not to use stats as a be-all-end-all to deciding who should be up there, but it is interesting that the guys with the higher goals to game average are in there.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad