Where do you see fighting/hitting in the future?

Slats432

Jun 2, 2002
hockeypedia.com
What if they allow refs to punch/get punched as well? A lot of potential fights are stopped too soon by refs getting in the way and grabbing onto fighters. Maybe once an official grabs a hold of someone they should be considered free game?
This is one of the worst takes I have read in a long time. Open season on refs? Ridiculous.

JETZZZ

Oct 27, 2010
Winnipeg Manitoba
This is one of the worst takes I have read in a long time. Open season on refs? Ridiculous.
Welp, somethings gotta change with how they approach scrums. A lot of times, they jump in there before people start throwing fists. If people want more fighting, the officials have to police a little less and let things escalate more.

Reactions: McDonald19

Big Phil

Nov 2, 2003
I agree. But anymore, anything that has any type of testosterone involved is offensive and “toxic” sorry man, when they outlaw hitting and fighting, which is soon... women will be in the league.

She might be the 2nd woman to earn a CFB scholarship

Probably never thought you’d see this.

In 10 years, the game will resemble women’s Olympic Games. Why wouldn’t Kendall be an asset? Faster than most players, and can’t be hit. [MOD]

Good luck, nhl.

If you put it that way, who knows. What a joke the NHL would become then.

I don't think co-ed is the right word. I think a solitary female might crack a roster for a cup of coffee in the next 25 years.

I truly hope since I plan on being alive then, that the NHL hasn't become that watered down that this happens.

cliffclaven

Nov 29, 2018
Yes and no. Arena attendance might be up in certain U.S. markets but the NBCSN TV ratings are down.
There’s also a difference between ‘paid’ and ‘actual’ attendance. Florida has averaged 13,000 this year. Lmao. Anyone that’s seen a panthers game on tv knows that’s like 5 games worth of actual attendance. 10000 of those 13k are corporate seats.

Reactions: Centericedone

Centericedone

Mar 17, 2019
Hockey fights are history. The league wants a nicer gentler game. Look at the flyers now...They never fight!!!!! The avalanche fight more than philly. I'm ashamed of philly! Games are compromised anyway.

Centericedone

Mar 17, 2019
Fights are history. Too rough for this timid generation..Flyers rarely fight..Too dangerous I guess;) I'm cancelling center ice. Watching ping pong is much more exciting.

Thedogo

Dogs are superior to humans in every way
Mar 16, 2019
Chicago's south side
These are things I think or at least hope will happen.
1. A star player gets popped and bitches to his GM to get protection and it starts an arms race.
2. Attendance goes down drastically and they're force to put it back
3. Since other sports are softening things up, its a phase and the NHL breaks out of it.
It could be worse in my mind they could have gotten rid of it completely yet fights are still a 5 minute major. I mean if 99% of players still want it I think we'll be ok, its just I dont watch as many NHL games as I used to i watch more minor league games because there's more tough guys down there.
Also what bugs me isn't the fight numbers per se but the fact that when a guy gets hit from behind they just stand there.

Last edited:

FaceWash

Jun 3, 2018
what's going to happen is instead of being sent to the penalty box for five minutes for fighting, they'll instead be sent to a "safe place" with a mediator. there they will try and resolve the conflict peacefully through dialogue. After a few tears and some hurt feelings, the combatants hug each other and return to their respected benches. :laugh:

Centericedone

Mar 17, 2019
what's going to happen is instead of being sent to the penalty box for five minutes for fighting, they'll instead be sent to a "safe place" with a mediator. there they will try and resolve the conflict peacefully through dialogue. After a few tears and some hurt feelings, the combatants hug each other and return to their respected benches. :laugh:
Perfectly said!!!!! Love it!!!!

cliffclaven

Nov 29, 2018
Nope, repetitive body checking causes CTE.
Correct. Want to see where the league is headed? Yotes/Tampa and hawks/nucks tonight are a perfect example.

The hawks game, I haven’t seen an actual “hit” in two periods. I’ve seen plenty of guys on both teams with their head down that should’ve gotten wrecked.

Magic Man

Mar 30, 2012
Your Worst Nightmare
The league has the power to correct their mistake. Like taking out the standing in the crease rule after recently putting it in, they can change the rules back, even if not all the way, some of them. Remove the instigator rule and if two players fight there is no extra penalty for two willing combatants. It allows for the players to help police the game and start fights at all times of a game. They could take it further and eliminate the instigator in the last 5 minutes rule, which leads to suspension. Taking away a potential loss in pay will make it more financially advantageous to fight. They could eliminate the mandatory visor rule. Players were going in the direction of visors without the leagues help. Not making it mandatory allows for tougher players to leave it off and take part in more fights. This would protect the fighters hands and make it easier to connect with the face through punching. They should reduce suspension length. I also think using the option of fining players more and not suspending them from games would allow players more freedom to try to make body contact through hitting. More hitting then there is more fighting, more fighting and there is more hitting. It leads to more passionate games and rivalries. It also gives a losing team a reason to watch blowout games and their team in a losing season. The league should promote physicality more. Giving the players a reprieve on the rules should see a return of passion. With the high scoring games similar to that of the 80's, a faster game with a high level of physicality may be the best hockey to ever be played.

I don't think they'll ever come back on plays targeting the head because of concussions. But, reducing suspension length and not over penalizing plays not targeting the head may see a resurgence in body contact. If it pays for the player to play more physical they are likely to. I also find it unlikely they go back to the days of Peter Worrell and Matt Johnson style heavyweights. Players being able to play hockey should be necessary for NHL level play, if you can't keep up and are a serious detriment, I think they've moved past it. That has no bearing on fighting not making a comeback though. I think you can sacrifice the size and effectiveness of the fighters on teams to make sure that they can first play the game at an NHL level.

I think a serious fan pitch. Some type of petition that gets media attention that gets to all fans begging the league to make the league more physical may get the ball rolling on this idea. There are more positives than negatives for the league if they were able to make it more physical. Violence sells in hockey and they would receive more fan fare. If they can maintain a high scoring game they may be able to challenge other major sports in popularity in the US and it would certainly become more popular in Canada as well. More eyes is a win for them. Them providing the most entertaining product and not the most safe product is most important.

cliffclaven

Nov 29, 2018
I agree with all of this. It’s a pipe dream, however. Fighting is all but gone. So is hitting. And it’s not coming back. And it shows in attendance at games.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad