Where do you rank Ovechkin in his era (post 05 lockout)

where do you place ovie?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

slapKing

Feb 12, 2020
Canada
Honestly, when it comes to ovie, everyone has their opinion about him. some like him, some don't, and some are in between. I don't think anyone is going to change their opinion about him I think, it is what it is. As like where do you place him in his era. is he the best or not? everyone has already solidified their opinion of where he ranks, but let's see how the results will turn out.

Ovie's resume:
3 hart trophies (1 of 8 people to win at least 3 harts)
3 lindsay awards (all consecutive)
calder
1 art ross
1 conn smythe
9 rockets (has lead the league in goals the most time in nhl history)
4 100+ point seasons
8 50+ goal seasons
as a left wing (7 first all stars, 3 second all stars) and right wing (1 first and second all star)
lead the league in ev goals 5 times, and pp goals 6 times
#7 all time in goals, and # 36 all time in points
#9 all time in ev goals, #3 all time in pp goals

I can add more but you get the point. where do you place ovie?

GlitchMarner

Typical malevolent, devious & vile Maple Leafs fan
Jul 21, 2017
Brampton, ON
Shouldn't this simply be re-worded into yet another "Crosby vs Ovi" thread?

At least until McDavid has been around long enough to possibly make a race of it.

Voted #2

Will it really be that surprising if some people say Datsyuk is better than one or both?

He has his crew on here.

filinski77

Feb 12, 2017
Will it really be that surprising if some people say Datsyuk is better than one or both?

He has his crew on here.
He has a crew of like 4 or 5 diehards sure, so no it wouldn't be surprising if they come in here. But Datsyuk is not in the same tier of Crosby/Ovi, and that's not a slight at him, more so illustrating how great Sid and Ovi are.

Fataldogg

Mar 22, 2007
Based on hardware, I'd have him and Crosby equal. Crosby has had more team success. Ovechkin has achieved more individually. A Cup can no longer be held against him in these arguments.

I do not have a problem with someone saying Crosby. I do not have a problem with someone saying Ovechkin. They both have their arguments to be labeled the best of their generation. Its a 1a/1b situation.

Randyne

May 20, 2012
The Best,
Two behind him bumped each other (365 overlapping points), if they were on other teams their trophy cases would be even shorter.
39Re14Y.jpg

Last edited:

RedLeader

Feb 13, 2008
Second best player but over time Ovechkin will be brought up more as a reference point than Crosby given his GOAT status as a goalscorer.

Lebowski

El Duderino
Dec 5, 2010
Ovechkin’s peak is probably the best non big-4 peak. I highly doubt McDavid will top that. He has to win all 4 major awards to be on equal footing and that is not easy

That’s all very debatable.

At the end of the day, Ovechkin was a contender for “best player in the league” for 3 years out of his entire career. I could easily see McDavid maintaining himself at the top of the hierarchy a lot longer than Ovechkin did.

KoozNetsOff 92

Hala Madrid
Apr 6, 2016
That’s all very debatable.

At the end of the day, Ovechkin was a contender for “best player in the league” for 3 years out of his entire career. I could easily see McDavid maintaining himself at the top of the hierarchy a lot longer than Ovechkin did.

3 years? 6x lindsay finalist is in contention for best player in the league only 3x? Let me guess, Crosby has been a "contender" his entire career right?

KoozNetsOff 92

Hala Madrid
Apr 6, 2016
Ovechkin--Crosby

Hart: 3--2
Finalist: 5--7
Top 10: 9--9
Lindsay: 3--3
Finalist: 6--5
Smythe: 1--2
Calder: 1--0

Ross: 1--2
Top 10 pts: 8--11
PPG leader: 3--5
Top 10 PPG: 8--12

Rocket: 9--2
Top 10 goals: 13--4
GPG leader: 9--2
Top 10 GPG: 13--4

1st AST: 8--4
2nd AST: 4--4
Awards: 18--11

Crosby has 2 more nominations but OV has 1 more hart. OV has an extra lindsay nomination. Crosby has an extra smythe. Usually calders aren't a big deal, but considering OV won in a landslide vs Crosby (124-4 first place votes), it matters here.

Crosby has an extra ross and better pt finishes, but I don't think anyone disputes him being the better pt producer throughout their careers.

OV has 7 extra rockets and 7 extra GPG wins, but I don't think anyone disputes him being the better goal scorer throughout their careers. However, it's worth noting that, based on finishes, the gap between their goal scoring is way bigger than the gap in pt production.

OV has 4 more 1st ASTs and 7 more awards.

Arguments for Crosby: better/more consistent prime (1 of the best ever), better/more consistent pt finishes, best playoff performer of the generation (1 of the best ever), more team awards, better defensively

Arguments for OV: GOAT goal scorer, better peak season (best of the 21st century), sustained his peak for multiple years (his 08-10 stacks up against anyone outside the big 4), huge lead in individual awards, physicality

OV has the best peak of the century so he is #1.

Last edited:
Reactions: Mitch nylander

filinski77

Feb 12, 2017
I think a fair assessment would be:

Best Peak of the era: Ovechkin
Best player over the course of the whole era: Crosby
'Greatest' player of the era: Ovechkin (due to his accomplishments)

CanadienShark

Dec 18, 2012
I'm voting 2nd best, but he has a legit argument for the best. He's pretty much irrefutably top 2 and would have been a unanimous #1 if not for coming into the league at the same time as another all time great.

hamzarocks

Jul 22, 2012
Pickering, Ontario
2nd best

Crosby simply out produces him by to much for OV ti be head despite being superior in goals

Ovechkin could have ended up ahead of Lemieux if he didnt fall off point wise after 2010. Imagine him winning another 2 ross/harts/Lindsay's along with his insane goal scoring

His game style rapidly changed and he became a goal scoring winger rather than a truly dominant play driving winger with a few exception season (13, 15, 19)

Brucelenok

Aug 9, 2016
Ovechkin number 1 pretty clearly - the face of NHL internationally. Crosby fans can only make the "shoulda, coulda, woulda arguments".

Reactions: Randyne

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad