Where do you rank Crosby and Ovechkin's rivalry all time?

ImporterExporter

"You're a boring old man"
Jun 18, 2013
Oblivion Express
I was just marveling about how fortunate I feel to have been able to see about every game of this storied rivalry.

We're talking about one guy who's knocking on the door at top 10 all time status and another who's found his way into the top 20. And both are still producing elite level seasons post 30.

4 Cups between them. A slew of Hart's, Art Ross's, Lindsay's, Smythe's, etc etc.

Plus it's a legit team rivalry not to mention their careers at the exact same time. Pens owned Washington forever but the Caps finally slayed that dragon last year and won their first Cup ever.

Not sure there are too many that meet all the characteristics of this head to head matchup.

Dingo

Jul 13, 2018
In my time, it’s right there with Gretzky and Lemieux.

There isn’t another one.

Roy vs Hasek is a product of Hfboards revisionism, as Hasek was clearly better while they were playing.

MadLuke

Jan 18, 2011
Gretzky-Lemieux almost never played game that matter against each other right ?

Roy Vs Hasek history was one game in the Olympics (a great goaltending dual too) and one playoff series in 2001-2002 when they were getting quite old, both won by Hasek.

Crosby/Ovechkin has the element of starting in the league the same year, but facing each other so much all the time, many meet up in best on best different team intl, 4 playoffs series and still going.

They also have been arguably on the 2 best team of the era they playing or at least both top 5, making a lot of ingredients for a nice rivalry.

Last edited:

Tuna Tatarrrrrr

Here Is The Legendary Rat Of HFBoards! ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Jun 13, 2012
In my time, it’s right there with Gretzky and Lemieux.

There isn’t another one.

Roy vs Hasek is a product of Hfboards revisionism, as Hasek was clearly better while they were playing.
1449327716428.gif

For the Ovechkin-Crosby rivalry, it will be remembered through the history like the Gretzky-Mario Lemieux one.

The Panther

Mar 25, 2014
Tokyo, Japan
For the Ovechkin-Crosby rivalry, it will be remembered through the history like the Gretzky-Mario Lemieux one.
As player comparisons go (I refuse to call them "rivalries" -- what meaningful games did Gretz/Lemieux play each other in?), I don't think Crosby/Ovechkin is very similar to Gretzky/Lemieux. For one thing, Gretzky was originally compared to Dionne and Trottier, and Lemieux only arrived in Gretzky's 6th season. Also, Lemieux only reached a comparable level to Gretzky around his fourth season, at which point Gretzky was in his last season with Edmonton and had already won 8 straight Hart trophies. Not to mention that Crosby/Ovechkin's domination of scoring, while impressive, isn't at the Gretzky/Lemieux level. Those two guys won every scoring title from 1979-80 through 1993-94... and two more in '96 and '97.

Crosby/Ovechkin is probably more comparable to Howe/Richard, or Jagr/Lindros.

Tuna Tatarrrrrr

Here Is The Legendary Rat Of HFBoards! ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Jun 13, 2012
As player comparisons go (I refuse to call them "rivalries" -- what meaningful games did Gretz/Lemieux play each other in?), I don't think Crosby/Ovechkin is very similar to Gretzky/Lemieux. For one thing, Gretzky was originally compared to Dionne and Trottier, and Lemieux only arrived in Gretzky's 6th season. Also, Lemieux only reached a comparable level to Gretzky around his fourth season, at which point Gretzky was in his last season with Edmonton and had already won 8 straight Hart trophies. Not to mention that Crosby/Ovechkin's domination of scoring, while impressive, isn't at the Gretzky/Lemieux level. Those two guys won every scoring title from 1979-80 through 1993-94... and two more in '96 and '97.

Crosby/Ovechkin is probably more comparable to Howe/Richard, or Jagr/Lindros.
I agree with you on this, more Richard/Howe than Lindros/Jagr though because I don't consider the latter like a rivalry at all.

Reactions: Dennis Bonvie

MXD

Original #4
Oct 27, 2005
When I think of "rivalry", I think of something like Maurice Richard c. Ted Lindsay. Pens and Caps (and their respective fans) is/are a rivalry. AO vs. Crosby feels more like a parallel story.

Reactions: bobholly39

bobholly39

Mar 10, 2013
When I think of "rivalry", I think of something like Maurice Richard c. Ted Lindsay. Pens and Caps (and their respective fans) is/are a rivalry. AO vs. Crosby feels more like a parallel story.

Exactly

Great to see their careers unfolding at same time and there's absolutely a ton of talk and hype around fans and media about whose better - and this has happened throughout their careers.

But when i think rivalry i think 'aninosity'. Dont think theres ever been any between them - on-ice or not. Giroux/Crosby was probably more of a rivalry

Admiral Awesome

Jun 8, 2015
If we're talking about two comparable players who were the faces of their respective franchise and whose teams consistently met in big games/series, I'll have to mention Sakic and Yzerman.

Reactions: Jim MacDonald

Jim MacDonald

Oct 7, 2017
If we're talking about two comparable players who were the faces of their respective franchise and whose teams consistently met in big games/series, I'll have to mention Sakic and Yzerman.

It would've totally been acceptable to type "drops the mic" at the end of your sentence! lol!

sr edler

gold is not reality
Mar 20, 2010
It felt artificial 10 years ago and still does. These guys doesn't even play the same position.

Big Phil

Nov 2, 2003
It felt artificial 10 years ago and still does. These guys doesn't even play the same position.

For quite some time I thought the same thing. They had that classic series in 2009 and I just thought that they'd be doing this a lot with each other year after year but they didn't. Some of it felt manufactured. The Olympics in 2010 comes to mind when Canada and Russia played in the quarterfinal. Canada wins 7-3 in a blowout but neither player got a point in that game.

They were swapping scoring titles at the beginning but with Crosby's injuries and Ovechkin's mid career hiccup it seemed like it was going to fade. Then three straight meetings in 2016, 2017 and 2018. They are the only captains to win the last three Cups and did it at each other's expense. Plus there has long been a Pens/Caps rivalry stretching back to the 1990s, so they were on the right team.

Historically we will look back fondly on this one. And we know for sure that as fans we were debating it end over end as it was happening. So it isn't a revisionist thing. I think people will be debating who was better for quite some time.

dr robbie

Let's Go Pens!
Feb 21, 2012
Pittsburgh
It's one of those things that I don't think we will appreciate until after their careers. Mario and Gretz are probably the closest thing we've had in recent memory, but their careers didn't overlap as much and both are clearly better overall than Ovi/Crosby. I mean, think about it - Both players were 1OA picks and still got to play their rookie seasons in the same season (thanks lockout!). That in itself is crazy rare and only starts their intertwined story. They've both had the upper hand at points in their careers and have been insanely polarizing to fans. 4 Cups between them and in each case they've had to go through the other one to get there. This is one of those rivalries that will be remembered as one of the greatest in the history of the sport.

ImporterExporter

Jun 18, 2013
Oblivion Express
Yeah, honestly it was more artificial at the beginning. Rivalries involving players are largely media driven but I do think there is absolutely a serious, professional rivalry there between the two. I agree with others who have said they probably aren't best buds (this has been confirmed by multiple media personalities over the years) but don't actually loathe one another.

BUT, with that being said, they came into the league together, play in the same division (on teams that have a long standing rivalry against one another btw), have had numerous, and some epic battles in the postseason (4) already and neither looks to be slowing down much 14 years later. It's pretty neat that all 4 of their playoff battles have resulted in each wining team in that head to head going on to win the Cup (Pitt 3, Wash 1).

Both are generational players and have strong shots to go down as top 10 players all time when their careers are finally over. I think this is a head to head match up that will really grow on folks the further we get in time. I for one, feel pretty fortunate to have seen both dominate during my 20's and 30's. I grew up loving hockey because of Mario but he and Wayne never truly were much of a rivalry. Different conferences, rarely played each other. Never went H2H in the postseason that I can recall.

It's going to be one of the very greatest H2H's of all time IMO.

FinProspects

Sep 15, 2007
Historically we will look back fondly on this one. And we know for sure that as fans we were debating it end over end as it was happening. So it isn't a revisionist thing. I think people will be debating who was better for quite some time.

Will they, though? I dont think there has been a real debate for quite many years on that. It's also hard since they are totally different players, playing different styles, different positions. But if we look at being "better", then there is only one answer really. I think Sid is in top10, Ovie is around top20 currently. When its all said and done, I think Sid is closer to 5th than 10th and Ovie is knocking on the top10.

Merya

Jokerit & Finland; anti-theist
Sep 23, 2008
Helsinki
I don't think hockey really has than kind of rivalries. First five years it was maybe an issue, but it lamed down to not many anymore caring. This is cudos for hockey, because fan driven player rivalry is really stupid.

Midnight Judges

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 10, 2010
Will they, though? I dont think there has been a real debate for quite many years on that. It's also hard since they are totally different players, playing different styles, different positions. But if we look at being "better", then there is only one answer really.

Indeed, and it's the player who has 200+ more goals in the same number of seasons.

ImporterExporter

Jun 18, 2013
Oblivion Express
Indeed, and it's the player who has 200+ more goals in the same number of seasons.

Number of seasons vs number of games are 2 entirely different things. But of course you know that already.

Just like you also know that scoring goals is worth the exact same valuation as recording an assist.

One of these players is top 5 in goals per game and 1st in assists per game since 2005-06 and one is #1 in goals and nowhere worth mentioning in assists.

Balance and all around play favors the Canadian by a massive margin. God it must be hard to read that.

Midnight Judges

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 10, 2010
Just like you also know that scoring goals is worth the exact same valuation as recording an assist.

Eh, you are entitled to your wrong opinion.

Some NHL Stars Get More Assists At Home Than They Deserve

What is the objective value of an assist?

Simplify scoring: drop the pointless secondary assist

The Second Assist: Statistic or Gift?

https://www.tsn.ca/the-noise-surrounding-secondary-assists-1.1134501

ImporterExporter said:
One of these players is top 5 in goals per game and 1st in assists per game since 2005-06 and one is #1 in goals and nowhere worth mentioning in assists.

Ovechkin is 11th in the NHL in assists over that span.

Ovechkin isn't just first in goals, he takes a giant dump on 2nd to the tune of 48%.

Crosby has 39% more assists, so actually Ovechkin is closer to Crosby in terms of assists than Crosby is to Ovechkin in terms of goals - and that's before we remove all Sid's arbitrary secondary assists.

Big Phil

Nov 2, 2003
Will they, though? I dont think there has been a real debate for quite many years on that. It's also hard since they are totally different players, playing different styles, different positions. But if we look at being "better", then there is only one answer really. I think Sid is in top10, Ovie is around top20 currently. When its all said and done, I think Sid is closer to 5th than 10th and Ovie is knocking on the top10.

I take Sid too, and I think it is clear by now he's been better his whole career. But there will still be that debate.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad