Where do you rank Columbus defense in the NHL?

Where would you rank it ?

• Total voters

Regal

Mar 12, 2010
Vancouver
Krug and Chara might be the one combination that has never happened.

I figured it might be there with under 100 minutes together or something, with the odd shift here ans there together, but there's nothing. I checked naturalstattrick.com, and it shows them playing 3:22 together all season at 5v5, which must be overlap of shifts or whatnot.

ViD

#CBJNeedHugs
Sponsor
Apr 21, 2007
Blue Jackets Area
Everyone knows Chara pairs with McAvoy.

Also LOL at Savard - Gavrikov being the best shutdown pair in the league. JFC.

Columbus was barely in the playoff picture and a ton of their metrics show that their goaltenders were a huge reason for their defense play. Just like every Trots team.
The only reason Columbus goalies are having these numbers over 82 games is because of the defense. I think it’s hockey 101 by now.

ClevelandUke

Aug 4, 2020
Everyone knows Chara pairs with McAvoy.

Also LOL at Savard - Gavrikov being the best shutdown pair in the league. JFC.

Columbus was barely in the playoff picture and a ton of their metrics show that their goaltenders were a huge reason for their defense play. Just like every Trots team.

JFC, who in the f*** ever called them the best pairing? LMAOOOOO

Uncle Scrooge

Hockey Bettor
Nov 14, 2011
Helsinki
Not really. Ekblad has actually panned out eventually.

Jones gave up 13 high danger chances to 0 against the Matthews, Tavares, Marner line on Sunday.

Yet, he is the best player in the series or something stupid.

Im curious, how exactly does a stat tell you Seth Jones is at fault for the team giving up 13 high danger chances ?

Uncle Scrooge

Hockey Bettor
Nov 14, 2011
Helsinki
According to Corey Sznajder's tracked data, he allowed the Leafs to carry the puck in on his side 69% of the time and only broke up an entry attempt against him 8% of the time.

Per Jfresh on twitter

I guess that's interesting, although i thought the Leafs made some really nice plays particularly on zone entries all night long. With the skill that they have that's what they should be good at, can't be just one defenseman responsible for breaking up entries. But if the narrative here is that Jones isn't as amazing defensively as some people think, i can probably relate to a degree.

That being said, i remember him breaking up some plays from Matthews and co. in this series that i thought was impressive work from him.

But i think overall it's tough to judge his impact on the game based on stats. When you're a dynamic do-it-all type of guy trying to be all over the ice for 25 minutes a game you're bound to have subpar nights in one aspect of the game, whether it's in your own end or on the offensive side of things. Nobody can be dominant everywhere on the ice each and every night.

All i know is he's a difference maker for this team. Got hurt Feb 8th against the Avs and the Jackets had 3 wins in 14 games without him afterwards, while going 18-2-3 before that stretch. Comes back after the break and they're now 4-1-1 with the exhibition game against Boston included. It's not all because of him of course, but you can feel how much more confident this team is with him on the ice and that's not something stats will ever be able to tell.

Last edited:

BB06

Jun 1, 2020
According to Corey Sznajder's tracked data, he allowed the Leafs to carry the puck in on his side 69% of the time and only broke up an entry attempt against him 8% of the time.

Per Jfresh on twitter

Jfresh also says Devin Toews is worth 9.5M dollars and more valuable than Barzal .......

Kshahdoo

Mar 23, 2008
Moscow, Russia

Per Jfresh on twitter

Hockey is a team game, and when you try to find the place of a personal skill in it with sheer statistics, you're doomed to failure.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com
I guess that's interesting, although i thought the Leafs made some really nice plays particularly on zone entries all night long. With the skill that they have that's what they should be good at, can't be just one defenseman responsible for breaking up entries. But if the narrative here is that Jones isn't as amazing defensively as some people think, i can probably relate to a degree.

That being said, i remember him breaking up some plays from Matthews and co. in this series that i thought was impressive work from him.

But i think overall it's tough to judge his impact on the game based on stats. When you're a dynamic do-it-all type of guy trying to be all over the ice for 25 minutes a game you're bound to have subpar nights in one aspect of the game, whether it's in your own end or on the offensive side of things. Nobody can be dominant everywhere on the ice each and every night.

All i know is he's a difference maker for this team. Got hurt Feb 8th against the Avs and the Jackets had 3 wins in 14 games without him afterwards, while going 18-2-3 before that stretch. Comes back after the break and they're now 4-1-1 with the exhibition game against Boston included. It's not all because of him of course, but you can feel how much more confident this team is with him on the ice and that's not something stats will ever be able to tell.

I think we all note Seth Jones is a great defenseman. That being said, this thread is about best D cores and Jones is the stereotypical big guy who makes fancy plays.

I’d easily have him right outside the top ten D in the league. He carried Werenski defensively, but at the same time Werenski carries him offensively.

teravaineSAROS

Jul 29, 2015
So ya, Top 5. Heavily influenced by the 2 absolute studs in Werenski and Jones carrying the top. I dont like the overall depth of that group as much as a couple other teams like Nashville, but the top 2 just make them so damn good when both guys can play almost half the game for you.

How is Nashvilles depth better? I'd argue Nashville is the top heavy one with Josi/Ellis/Ekholm being amazing but their #4 to #7 Ds arent as good as Columbus. Savard, Murray and Gavrikov are all good top 4 defensemen, I really don't get the top heavy argument.

Reactions: Stealth JD

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad