Where do you rank Columbus defense in the NHL?

Where would you rank it ?

• Total voters

Mar 26, 2010
Top 3 defensive team in the NHL easily.

You have to give credit where it is due... they are tough to play against! Just ask the Lighting from last season and Leafs this season! Both very potent offensive teams shut down.

Pierce Hawthorne

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2012
Caverns of Draconis
Definitely Top 10... I struggled to put it Top 5 but I think you could make a pretty damn good case for it and I ultimately did say Top 5.

Carolina
Tampa Bay
St. Louis

I would say those 3 are for sure better... After that, Boston, Columbus, Vegas, Nashville, Colorado, Dallas, Minnesota... They're all pretty close to one another but I'd have CBJ towards the top of that group.

So ya, Top 5. Heavily influenced by the 2 absolute studs in Werenski and Jones carrying the top. I dont like the overall depth of that group as much as a couple other teams like Nashville, but the top 2 just make them so damn good when both guys can play almost half the game for you.

Pitaya

Prince of the Alps, Nico Hischier
Dec 14, 2019
Their actual defense isnt top-5 at all but their team defense and system are top-5

Since I saw the question as their actual
defensive lineup they are outside the top-10 but I said top-10 based on including the system they play in

Kind of like the Islanders - amazing defensive team whos actual defensive roster isnt that great

ViD

#CBJNeedHugs
Sponsor
Apr 21, 2007
Blue Jackets Area
Their actual defense isnt top-5 at all but their team defense and system are top-5

Since I saw the question as their actual
defensive lineup they are outside the top-10 but I said top-10 based on including the system they play in

Kind of like the Islanders - amazing defensive team whos actual defensive roster isnt that great
I think the second pairing is grossly underestimated.

Gavrikov and Savard are arguably the best shut down pair in hockey outside of first pairings. They came out of the Leafs series with team leading +4 rating each

ClevelandUke

Aug 4, 2020
not enough credit being given to the Savard-Gavrikov pairing

But it's hard to argue with the data. Per MoneyPuck, the Savard/Gavrikov pairing has the 11th best expected-goals for percentage in the NHL (among pairings with 700+ minutes), at 51.8%. That's one spot ahead of the Zdeno Chara/Torey Krug pairing in Boston.

a guy like Ryan Murray is playing the #5 role right now.

wintersej

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 26, 2011
North Andover, MA
not enough credit being given to the Savard-Gavrikov pairing

But it's hard to argue with the data. Per MoneyPuck, the Savard/Gavrikov pairing has the 11th best expected-goals for percentage in the NHL (among pairings with 700+ minutes), at 51.8%. That's one spot ahead of the Zdeno Chara/Torey Krug pairing in Boston.

a guy like Ryan Murray is playing the #5 role right now.

Chara and Krug is not a pairing.

abo9

Jun 25, 2017
Honestly, I thought it was a poll to flatter CBS ego after winning against the Leafs (and maybe it is). However, the results speak for themselves. As a team, they had the 3rd lowest goals allowed in the NHL this year. 11th last year and 9th the year before.

Considering that Zach Werenski, Seth Jones and Vladislav Gavrikov are key cogs and all 24 and under, I think it's fair to assume that they're a top 10, or even top 5 D today?

Sounds like a surprise every time they win a series, but that team is coming together nicely even on paper :O

Regal

Mar 12, 2010
Vancouver
Striking out, right. lmao

I'm pretty sure you read Carlo wrong. Here's a screenshot of all the Bruins defense pairings from that site:
Screenshot_20200810-184926_Chrome.jpg

No Krug-Chara.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com
Everyone knows Chara pairs with McAvoy.

Also LOL at Savard - Gavrikov being the best shutdown pair in the league. JFC.

Columbus was barely in the playoff picture and a ton of their metrics show that their goaltenders were a huge reason for their defense play. Just like every Trots team.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad