Where do we stand?

MasterD

Giggidy Giggidy Goo
Jul 1, 2004
We should make a cup run, but not sacrifice our young guys (or not too many).

If we can move guys like Plekanec, Prust, Emelin, Desharnais, possible Tinordi to acquire the missing pieces (ie 1st/2nd line RW) then you do it. I'm open to sending young guys like Tinordi, Beaulieu or Andrighetto if we can acquire a solid piece that is not a rental. Our window is right under our nose, with PK and Price and Pacioretty at their peaks.

Takeru

Oct 6, 2014
Should we trade our core for picks/prospects or should we trade our prospects for established players? It'd be stupid to commit to one or the other approach.

Whether a trade is good always depends on what you get in return, and MB's been very good in that regard. Should we trade Pleks? If it's for a top 10 pick, of course, but for a second rounder, then no. Should we trade our first rounder? For Kessel, maybe, if we can make room for him on the cap, but not for Sharp.

The Petry and Vanek trade were great in that regards. We gave away 2nd rounders to gain the edge in signing players we needed long term (no matter what happened afterwards). On the other side, Gorges for a second was great too. I hope MB continues to handle things just the way he's been doing it.

Unless you wish to stay in transitional limbo as we've been the past few years, you do have to lean more strongly towards one approach at some point in time. You can't just wait for prospects to develop while you get the occasional talented player through trades every three years. The rise of our prospects will be balanced with the decline of our veterans or vets-to-be if we keep doing things the same way.

You need to decide at one point when it is time to step on the gas and get more talent while sacrificing something that may hurt you down the road, in order to get over the top.

CanadienShark

Dec 18, 2012
I think we have a good enough foundation that we could make a run this year and still develop our prospects. I just don't want any bandaid moves or rash decisions made. No quick fixes. I also want to see our young guys being given every opportunity at least at the start of the season.

Give Hudon and Andrighetto chances with the big club to start the year. Galchenyuk at centre. Tinordi up with the Habs as well.

optimus2861

Aug 29, 2005
Bedford NS
We're not losing Price anytime soon, but you're kidding yourself if you believe he'll keep posting .937 seasons for the next decade. He'll still probably be very good, but his prime won't last forever.
And even during his prime, it's unfair to expect .930+ any given season. .920+, absolutely, but .930+ is Hasek-level dominance. A number like that, for a lucky few goalies, tends to happen once in a career, and we've seen Price notch his.

.933 masks a lot of on-ice problems. .923 would have left us with 20-21 more goals allowed, and we only had a +32 differential to begin with.

I digress, I suppose.

The time to go for it is NOW. Price, Subban, Pacioretty, all signed and at their peak. A chance like this doesn't come around very often, and it has to be maximized.

But Therrien.

We'll piss it away because of our coach alone. Until Bergevin understands that, nothing else really matters.

studDUGY

Apr 10, 2015
Ottawa
We're in a very awkward middle that might jeopardize our team, tbh. Sorry for being the debby downer here.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad