Where do we stand?

Kraken Jokes

May 28, 2010
Going into 2015-2016, there seems to be two different trains of thought among HF Habs fans. Either we need to make a push for the Cup while our core is still young OR our core is still young enough that we should manage our assets and continue to draft high and develop our prospects.

Our core`s effective ages: Patches 26, Subban 26, Galchenyuk 21, Gallagher 23, Petry 27, Eller 27, Price 29, Weise 26 (arguably)

Still earning their spot: Beaulieu 22, De La Rose 20

Significant veterans: Plekanec 33, Markov 37

Top Prospects: Sherbak 19, McCarron 20, Tinordi 23, Reway 20, Hudon 21

The implications are this: If we are pushing for the Cup then we are keeping Markov and Plekanec and making our picks and prospects available in order to gain those pieces that will take us over the top. If we have time to continue our build, then we hold onto our picks and prospects and perhaps guys like Plekanec and Markov could be available for more picks or prospects.

We can`t be inbetweeners and hope that we can move players not listed above for significant assets, while waiting to see how guys like Galchenyuk, Beaulieu and our prospects develop.

Last edited:

Fozz

Aug 1, 2002
Ottawa
Visit site
Wish I could vote for both options because making a run doesn't prevent you from keeping and developing your young players.

Lebowski

El Duderino
Dec 5, 2010
Wish I could vote for both options because making a run doesn't prevent you from keeping and developing your young players.

Pretty much this. I think we need to be patient, but that doesn't mean Bergevin should sit on his hands ad infinitum. I think we need to target players that fit within our core's age bracket rather than older vets. If those players are unavailable or their price tag is too rich for Bergevin's blood, I rather wait and see what happens with our younger guys than pay a premimum for guys like Thornton or Marleau.

Gamble80

Sep 23, 2014
" and continue to draft high"

You realize that we are consistently drafting late in the first round with the exception of Galchenyuk a few years back, right?

Riggins

Jul 12, 2002
Vancouver, BC
If we had a bunch of blue chip prospects ready to contribute soon I would take a more patient approach. But none of what we do have has any guarantee of being big contributors at the NHL level.

M.C.G. 31

Damn, he brave!
Oct 6, 2008
Ottawa
When have we drafted high with the exception of the Galchenyuk draft? Our last top-5 pick before that was Price in 2005.

We should make a run for the cup now. That doesn't mean we can't develop prospects, though.

Takeru

Oct 6, 2014
We have a good core and decent support cast. If Galchenyuk has the 4th season he's supposed to and we can land a relatively high-end piece, I see no reason not to go for it next year. And trading away some of our best forwards won't help us reach that goal.

dkd

May 4, 2012
Canada
I am honestly not sure. Obviously I am all for going all the way every year, but we are missing a couple pieces before we can actually contend.

S Bah

Nov 7, 2010
victoria bc
I believe the Habs will stay with their regular draft strategies again this summer, but I would like to see them focus on the ultra high end talent for a change. Kylington(LD) or the character of Jake Debrusk which is more likely in the 1st round. A 2nd if they get one for either Aleksi Saarela(C) and 3rd David Kase(C/RW) two very good options IMHO, if not these types, go for Erik Foley(LW)2nd round & Jesse Gabrielle(LW)3rd round, the high character players with extremely hard work ethics. In the Habs history of championship teams, the character/leader type of player has always been abundant throughout their lineups, as shown in these SC playoffs once again these players are the difference makers. Quite often teams gain an advantage with superior players in the 3rd & 4th lines, in close 1 goal games the edge is very slim. Chicago's system being far deeper than their competition, as it always was in the Habs dynasty years, the team concept always comes to the top like cream. Bergevin's staff is very aware of what it takes to become the champions, as does Yzerman(Detroit & Holland), Bowman & Chicago, as does former Chicago boss and GM Dale Tallon, all very good horse traders in the NHL SC race.:nod:

Kraken Jokes

May 28, 2010
" and continue to draft high"

You realize that we are consistently drafting late in the first round with the exception of Galchenyuk a few years back, right?

I meant hanging on to out 1st and 2nd round picks. I'm also saying that if we are moving guys like Plekanec and Markov for picks, prospects and young players not ready to fill their shoes, we'll likely be drafting higher too.

Kraken Jokes

May 28, 2010
I think going all in would mean using our high picks (1st and 2nd rounders to avoid having to clarify that again... why do I bother?... I'm too old for this crap) and prospects to fill our needs... 2 legitimate, ready top-6 forwards and maybe a 2-way 3rd line LW for offensive depth.

But another option may be to just try and grab one piece for now and then re-evaluate at the deadline. A couple of significant future pieces for one available top-6 guy, then sit fairly still. This would be the active but cautious approach.

I feel like Plekanec's status is a huge factor in all of this though. He plays a huge role on this team and is a UFA this upcoming season. Obviously we couldn't trade him and get the same on-ice-right-now value in return. If we could it would be a lateral move anyway so what would be the point? If he walks next season and we didn't make a run for it, it's gonna be one more hole to fill, kicking the can further down the road. So oddly enough, the reason I think we need to make a run for it this year... Plekanec.

But if Galchenyuk reaches that next level this year and say one of our forward prospects is much more ready than we thought, that would be the best case scenario.

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
Our rebuild was around 2010. Now is the time to contend. How many teams in the league have Subban Pacioretty and Price ? Best goaltender in the league for christ sakes!

ohmyjlord

Fan...with a brain.
Mar 9, 2008
Montreal
We're still missing too many pieces for us to be a real Stanley Cup contender in my opinion.

We'll never be one as long as we have Plekanec and Desharnais as our top-2 centers. One of them has to go, and I personally would be much more comfortable with Plekanec as our 2nd line center, than Desharnais.

Then we gotta find a legit 1st line right wing. I like Gallagher, a lot ! But he's not what you want on the right side of your first line. He's an okay 2nd liner, or a very very good third liner for me.

This is why I think we're still 2-3 years away from being potential contenders. By then, hopefully Galchenyuk will be the first line center we all expected him to be when the Habs picked him 3rd overall, guys like Desharnais, Parenteau and Gilbert will be off our books. Guys like De La Rose, Beaulieu and Tinordi will all have a couple of years under their belts, while younger guys (with cheaper contracts) like Scherbak, McCarron could give us good production, while giving us the cap relief we need to go for a couple of key UFA and/or trade deadline acquisitions for a deep playoff push.

Zorba

May 26, 2011
DELTA BC
We're still missing too many pieces for us to be a real Stanley Cup contender in my opinion.

We'll never be one as long as we have Plekanec and Desharnais as our top-2 centers. One of them has to go, and I personally would be much more comfortable with Plekanec as our 2nd line center, than Desharnais.

Then we gotta find a legit 1st line right wing. I like Gallagher, a lot ! But he's not what you want on the right side of your first line. He's an okay 2nd liner, or a very very good third liner for me.

This is why I think we're still 2-3 years away from being potential contenders. By then, hopefully Galchenyuk will be the first line center we all expected him to be when the Habs picked him 3rd overall, guys like Desharnais, Parenteau and Gilbert will be off our books. Guys like De La Rose, Beaulieu and Tinordi will all have a couple of years under their belts, while younger guys (with cheaper contracts) like Scherbak, McCarron could give us good production, while giving us the cap relief we need to go for a couple of key UFA and/or trade deadline acquisitions for a deep playoff push.

3 years away with price , pacs and subban? What a load of crap. That what bergevin wants fans to think hence his transition year speech. He doesn't wanna work hard and make the tough moves. He's all about easy moves and when the team doesn't win he will say I told you we're in transition. It's time for the GM to get off his ass and get some offence

BaseballCoach

Dec 15, 2006

We are already a contender. Lost in Semi-Finals in 2014 with Price out, lost to Tampa Bay in 2015 despite outplaying them in 4 out of 6 games.

Finished second overall in the league in 2015.

We are already a contender but of course, there is always room for improvement. TB went to the finals and lost in 6 games yet was almost ousted by Detroit in round 1 and by the Rangers in round 3.

There are many good teams, and the Habs are one of them, but if we want to increase our odds to 1-in 2 or 1-in-3, we need more scoring.

A leap forward from Galchenyuk and a contribution from either Scherbak or McCarron and we may already be almost there. Otherwise, we will need help on the trade market, as I doubt we have the bucks for a big UFA (are there even any?).

Spearmint Rhino

Sep 17, 2013
I think we either have to move some prospects/picks for immediate help or move some players to free up roster spots for the prospects and suppressed roster players to be the short-to-mid range answers, the actual transition year we were supposed to do last season where we take a step back if we have to for a year to take 2 steps forward, instead of going to war with the same troops that have been non-factors in the playoffs last couple of years

This includes getting our coach in the mindset of developing talent instead of just winning regular season games

DAChampion

May 28, 2011
WE have Carey for as long as we want to keep him ~ he isn't going anywhere, unless we think he's declined (....and I doubt that's happening before 5-7 is up)

There's a common assumption on this board that the purpose of contracts it to hold players hostage, and that they will all leave the minute they can.

DAChampion

May 28, 2011
2016 will mark the third consecutive season of the Habs Stanley Cup window.

The window will be wider if we get rid of DD.

Teufelsdreck

Sep 17, 2005
The Habs aren't good enough to be serious competitors in 2016. On the other hand, their prospects aren't that great compared to certain other NHL teams. I think the Habs have to add more high caliber prospects, but it'll take several years. They pick at #26 in 2015 and they don't have a 2nd rounder.

Habs

We should have drafted Michkov
Feb 28, 2002
MB hasn't a clue about what team he wants to build, or how to build it.

vokiel

#MolsonIsntWine
Jan 31, 2007
Montréal
Habs are a team in eternal transition. There is no way they can make a run this year or the next with what they can do on the ice.

Bourne Endeavor

Apr 6, 2009
Montreal, Quebec
Compete now. We have enough good prospects we can afford to trade some without skipping a beat. Hell, Scherbak was drafted in the latter rounds, proving we can find good pieces again to replace him. Price is playing at a level nearing superhuman. Why not take advantage of that? With a team that could actually score, we'd be a frighteningly difficult opponent.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad