Where do we finish next year

lawrence

May 19, 2012
Yeah, if Sbisa suffer a season ending injury, this team might actually squeeze into the playoffs.

Squeeze into,playoffs just to get our ***** handed to us? I rather salvage the pain of watching our team get wasted by a inferior opponent and get a earlier pick.

PM

Glass not 1/2 full
Apr 8, 2014
With the way this team is going I wouldn't be surprised to see them finish in Seattle or Kansas City.

82Ninety42011

Jul 2, 2011
Abbotsford BC
I say players revolt and most veterans agree to be moved at deadline. We finish bottom 5. At least this is what I hope then we fire Linden and Benning. Burke comes back to save ship and interviews get interesting again!

ginner classic

Dammit Jim!
Mar 4, 2002
Douglas Park
I say players revolt and most veterans agree to be moved at deadline. We finish bottom 5. At least this is what I hope then we fire Linden and Benning. Burke comes back to save ship and interviews get interesting again!

Burke: " This looks like a job for me, so everybody just follow me..."

Aphid Attraction

Jan 17, 2013
Are you drunk? Because I know I am.

Just expect to see the flames fall back to a more normal stat range with some slumps... ANA will struggle and face tough times. And we did not get any worse then least seasons team... Since KB3 is over the hill and Kassian didn't make an impact last season...

I know it is not popular to think this way but when I look at the team that was iced for most games last year we will be a slightly better team this season season..potentially that is...

I am toxic

. . . even in small doses
Oct 24, 2014
Vancouver
Like last year, this team will compete for a playoff spot.

There's a lot of good energy around the team right now, with distractions like Kassian gone and new leadership in guys like Prust. Veterans from the 2011 run continue to be jettisoned, speaking to a new era for the club.

I honestly think this team will surprise a lot of people and be competitive. There's not much lost from last year's team. Miller will be better, given more time with his new technique. Guys like Vey and Sbisa can hopefully up their consistency, as both had bright moments last year. We'll see who sinks or swims from the group of youth orchestrated by Benning that are now definitely competing for roster spots.

Still think Jim has a couple more aggressive moves up his sleeve to complete his vision for the squad next year, but as it stands, looks good!

This is from last summer when predictions were being made.

I honestly think this team did not surprise a lot of us, and was not competitive. So much has been lost in the past two seasons and our key players are two years older. Miller is still average, and stopped listening to Rollie at the beginning of the season. Vey couldn't make the team out of training camp and cleared waivers while Sbisa - well, with a 1-0 lead against the Sharks a couple nights ago, Sbisa turned it over to Pavelski in the 3rd period who tied the game which we went on to lose 4-1, and no one is surprised. As for competing for roster spots, we had a kid who was 21 years old, top 5 in scoring in the AHL, who was shipped out for someone who will have to clear waivers at the end of the season. We also had a 22 year old RHD with upside - who played through a Calder Cup playoff run with a separated shoulder and broken hand for us - who we didn't have to waive, but we did waive, and is now making the players around him better in TO.

Finally, it doesn't look like Benning has anything up his sleeves. While other teams found a seller's market and 1st and 2nd round picks, Benning found a buyer's market, with him selling his highest scoring prospect in the AHL. As it stands - well, words are simply not up to the task of describing the complete fustercluck that is the Linden/Weisbrod/Benning management team.

Last edited by a moderator:

Rotting Corpse*

Sep 20, 2003
Kelowna, BC
Currently 22nd, exactly where the majority of posters thought we'd be.

Oh wow, maybe fans who follow the team intimately really do know more than Hockey "Experts" on TV! Not to mention the dingbats in charge.

Cancuks

Former Exalted Ruler
Jan 13, 2014
At the EI office
Canucks will be dead last in the West unless they manage to draft Matthews or Laine and sign Stamkos or something ridiculous.

Street Hawk

Feb 18, 2003
Visit site
Out of the playoffs in the top 10 of the draft.

What I would like to see is the management and ownership get on the same page and commit to a direction. That's why the Hamhuis TDL blew up in their face. They were too wishy washy the entire season about retooling and making the playoffs. One has to take precedence over the other.

I say out of the playoffs next season because they have to look at what they have right now and decide the course of action to take.

Veterans
Daniel & Hank - 2 years @ $7 mill - not going anywhere. Too tough a deal to make IMO
Sutter - 5 years @ $4.3 million - barring the team winning the lottery and getting Matthews, he will be back and starting his NTC contract. If the Canucks do win the lottery, then they have Sedin, Matthews, McCann and Horvat down the middle. I think at that point, better to move Sutter in a deal to land a Dman rather than move him to RW.
Hansen - 2 years @ $2.5 million - he will be back. Could be a big return come the coming deadline though
Dorsett - 3 years at $2.3 million - he is overpaid and not likely to be highly sought after.
Burrows - 1 year @ $4.5 million - potential buyout if the Canucks need cap room
Higgins - 1 year @ $2.5 million - buyout candidate

ELC
Horvat & Gaunce - final year of ELC
Virtanen & McCann - 2nd year of ELC

RFA
Vey - likely not retained given the RFA rules
Barts - will be retained
Granlund - will be retained
Etem - likely retained
Rodin - sounds like they want to sign him. I would guess his contract would include an out clause to return to Europe if he doesn't make the team. Don't see him in the AHL next season

Canucks have 7 vets, 4 youngsters, and 5 RFAs to make decisions on. That puts them at 16 forwards. If they land a top 3 pick, Matthews and one of the Fins will be in the lineup next season.

Moves to make to clear up roster spots up front are:

Trade out Sutter, Burrows, and any RFAs that they don't want to fully commit to
Buyout Higgins and/or Burrows if cap space if needed
Walk away from retaining any RFAs

So, there are decisions to be made.

In nets, it's going to be Miller and Markstrom.

Blue line, Edler, Tanev, Luca, Hutton have contracts. Likely to sign Larsen. Biega is signed to a 1 way deal, but he's a depth guy. So #7 and in a battle with Pedan for that role. So, unless they deal one of Luca or Edler, they have 1 spot open for another Dman. Whether it is brining Hamhuis back or getting someone else back there. Think the big Russian will play in the AHL next season full time.

Out of the playoffs because the defence lacks talent and depth. Goaltending is average. Forwards have potential.

BassMason

Dec 1, 2006
Currently 22nd, exactly where the majority of posters thought we'd be.

Oh wow, maybe fans who follow the team intimately really do know more than Hockey "Experts" on TV! Not to mention the dingbats in charge.

Ya during my time following the Canucks I have always been wary of reading too much into what the forum experts say. I mean there's no way that the layman can really understand the team better than the experts and professionals. That was until Benning came along. It's very clear to a large group of people, and has been since basically the start, that this organization has been infected with incompetency. It's infuriating.

SgtToody

Mar 16, 2013
24th, but a team below us will win a top-3 pick in the lottery so we'll pick 7th and it will be another Virtanen situation where there's a clear drop-off in talent after the top-6.

:popcorn: (<--- really glad this is a default emoji now)
Bottom 4 probably. Canuck karma unfortunately keeps us from last (and acquiring a game-changer)...

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
Actually Henrik had a pretty dire warning for this team down the stretch....said they can't be a team that plays it loose and trades chances, and unless "they play the right way" it will creep into the way next year's team plays......this is the second time that Henrik has questioned the system they're playing, and I'm beginning to wonder how enamoured some of the key players on this team are with the coaching.

M2Beezy

Objective and Neutral Hockey Commentator
Sponsor
May 25, 2014
Unless we get Matthews or Boeser lights it up for next year and we get another couple top dmen like we got Hutton this year this team is headed for thee basement again esp with Miller for ANOTHER year :shakehead

MikeK

Nov 10, 2008
Earth
Have to think the Sedin's at some point will start to show age. I am not very confident in this teams abilities and have zero faith in management. I see next year very similar to this one. We're a bottom tier team.

LeftCoast

Aug 1, 2006
Vancouver
We could be back in the playoff mix next year, but it requires a few things to go right.

The Sedins have to carry us again. They are still our best players and if they are both healthy, they put a bottom end on how bad we can be. Markstrom and Miller are also going to have to play at least as well as this year.

Continued development of the young players - Horvat, Hutton, Baertschi, Virtanen, McCann, Gaunce, Etem, Vey, Granlund, etc. It's not certain all of these will be on the team, but those that survive the summer (QO's) and training camp / pre-season need to show linear, continued development. Horvat in particular has proven he can score, he now has to improve his defensive game at the NHL level.

Benning and Linden need to target the right free agents in July. The first and most obvious is Dan Hamhuis - the only way to even partially salvage the inexcusable inaction at the TDL is to extend Hammer ASAP. With Vrbrata, Prust, Bartkowski and Weber off the ledger, we probably have room for 1 more significant salary - and it should be spent on the back end. If our top 4 are healthy for most of the year, they will be sufficient - Edler, Tanev, Hamhuis and Hutton, but as Mike Gillis said - you need 9 NHL ready defensemen in the Western Conference. I think Yandle will be too expensive, but there are a number of mid-tier guys such as Polak, Russell, Demers, Schenn, etc. who might hit the market. The problem is, most of these guys are not going to sign here to play in the #5 spot. So maybe that means we don't sign Hamhuis and we go hard after Yandle.

Above all, Benning has to avoid making a bad UFA signing - like Lucic or, Erikson.

Unless we win the lottery, it is unlikely anyone we draft will be an impact player next season, but it is still important that Benning drafts well, and doesn't make any crazy 'now' moves at the draft.

Trades - Benning was pretty clear that he is looking for a young defenseman. We have a crowd at C and, if Rodin comes over, on both wings. This is a good thing, but it also offers a chance to turn a surplus of forwards into a young defenseman - IF Benning can pull of a trade without getting hosed in the process.

Injuryies - if our top 4 D, the Sedins, Sutter and Horvat remain healthy, we should improve on this year. We have the depth to handle injuries up front (other than Henrik), but not on the back end.

So, even though Benning has squandered the opportunity to reload with picks at the TDL, if he doesn't mess up anymore, there is enough here to be in the playoff hunt next year. If he continues to bleed assets though it could get really ugly.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad