Where do we finish next year

Reverend Mayhem

Lowly Serf/Reluctant Cuckold
Feb 15, 2009
Port Coquitlam, BC
This is going to sound quite funny, but I thought the poll was 'what pick will we have next year?' for some reason, so instead of 6-10, I meant to vote for 21-25.

HankieDankie

Feb 24, 2012
Vancouver
Austin Matthews here we come...

Unfortunately, I don't see this team finishing bottom 10 unless there's injury, or if we trade off Vrbata/Hamhuis...which I'm really hoping we do.

Losing Lack, Bieksa, Richardson, Matthias isn't going to cause this team to drop that much. Richardson will be replaced by Horvat, and Bieksa sucked last year anyway.

As long as we still have Sedins, Edler, Tanev, Hamhuis and Vrbata, this team will compete and remain outside the top 10.

Unless Miller just completely ***** the bed...then look out Austin Matthews.

iceburg

Don't ask why
Aug 31, 2003
Unfortunately, I don't see this team finishing bottom 10 unless there's injury, or if we trade off Vrbata/Hamhuis...which I'm really hoping we do.

Losing Lack, Bieksa, Richardson, Matthias isn't going to cause this team to drop that much. Richardson will be replaced by Horvat, and Bieksa sucked last year anyway.

As long as we still have Sedins, Edler, Tanev, Hamhuis and Vrbata, this team will compete and remain outside the top 10.

Unless Miller just completely ***** the bed...then look out Austin Matthews.

Would not be surprised if Edler goes this summer. They are off-loading assets for pittance under the guise of 'change'. Hamhuis may go too. I'm actually all for these moves provided they get reasonable value in return...which they won't as long as Benning is in charge.
The Sedins will stay because they are not 'boat rockers'. They will put on the happy face "for the good of the franchise".
If Edler and Hamhuis go, there is no amount of Sedinery that can salvage higher than a bottom 5 finish - the defense is challenged even with Edler and Hamhuis.

just22

Aug 2, 2009
Even healthy I don't think this team will make the playoffs. Add some injuries to defense (almost guaranteed) and we'll likely pick in the top 10.

Unless Henrik gets injured I don't think we'll be able to pick top 3, but who knows, I sure didn't expect the drop that we had in 13-14 to 6th. We'd have to be that terrible for the entire year to get a top 3 pick.

stuffradio

Oct 3, 2012
Vancouver
Unless Virtanen, Shinkaruk, Gaunce et al come up, make huge splashes at camp and turn into top 6 players, and unless JB somehow pulls 2-3 top 4 dmen out of his ass, we're getting slaughtered in our division.

Bottom 10.

Tanks ahoy.

We would still be slaughtered in our division. Those players don't become so successful in their first year.

vanuck

Now with 100% less Benning!
Dec 28, 2009
They were already due for a regression next year if most of the team remained the same. Now that Benning has gone and actually worsened this team I think they have a good chance of finishing around 20th or worse.

Horse McHindu

They call me Horse.....
Jun 21, 2014
Beijing
Hoping for 30th but unfortunately we'll be a fringe team and draft somewhere around 15-20.

You might get your wish. With LA, Colorado, Dallas, Calgary, and Edmonton all pretty much shoe-ins to be significantly better next season, I would not be surprised to see the Canucks in 2nd last place in the Conference (only ahead of Arizona).....not because we are necessarily worse than last season, but because all of the aforementioned teams will have improved dramatically.

If we're flailing at the deadline, guys like Hamhuis and Vrbata will be sold at a premium (1st round picks), and I'm sure a guy like Higgins will land a 2nd.

Abaddon**

Like last year, this team will compete for a playoff spot.

There's a lot of good energy around the team right now, with distractions like Kassian gone and new leadership in guys like Prust. Veterans from the 2011 run continue to be jettisoned, speaking to a new era for the club.

I honestly think this team will surprise a lot of people and be competitive. There's not much lost from last year's team. Miller will be better, given more time with his new technique. Guys like Vey and Sbisa can hopefully up their consistency, as both had bright moments last year. We'll see who sinks or swims from the group of youth orchestrated by Benning that are now definitely competing for roster spots.

Still think Jim has a couple more aggressive moves up his sleeve to complete his vision for the squad next year, but as it stands, looks good!

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
They're a lottery team for sure, and if the injuries pile up, they could get a top six draft pick.....the positives in all this? Well, they'd be actively dumping veterans at the trade deadline for picks, and would likely go through a coaching change by the end of the season.....let the Travis Green coaching era begin.:handclap:

Canuck16

that's curtains!
Apr 11, 2011
Winnipeg, MB
Jim Benning thinks this is a playoff team. The crazy thing is, he wasn't campaigning or politicing or whatever you want to call it.. he meant it.

Lets see... I honestly think the Blackhawks, Kings, Ducks, Blues, Preds, Flames, Avalanche, Jets, Oilers, Sharks, Stars and Wild are better than the Canucks at this point. That only leaves the Coyotes and us battling for the bottom of the division. I do think the BlackHawks will start slow and fight for a playoff spot much like the Kings did this year.
Anyways, I voted for the 21-25 range like the majority of us.

To pinpoint, I say 25.

CherryToke

Oct 18, 2008
Coquitlam
the question is where will they finish, not where do you want them to finish. :laugh:

nobody wants to admit the truth that they will be fighting for a playoff spot again.

Wilch

Unregistered User
Mar 29, 2010
Out of the playoffs.

On the other hand a couple of injuries can propel the Canucks into the playoffs.

Yeah, if Sbisa suffer a season ending injury, this team might actually squeeze into the playoffs.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad