Where do the Sabres finish?

mgeise

May 20, 2006
Fargo, ND
I'll still say 30th. I think that without Miller, without their best defenseman from last year, and without a substantially improved offensive attack, they will not too much better this year. They would need Reinhart to make an instant impact, for Myers to emerge as a #1 defenseman, and for one of Enroth and Neuvirth to emerge as a legitimate #1 option to climb out of the basement IMO.

haseoke39

Mar 29, 2011
I'm going out a limb here and saying 28th, with a hard range of 26th-30th.

Risto, Pysyk, and Myers all have the potential to be average top 4 defensemen immediately.

Enroth isn't a bad goalie, he's just not Miller. Neuvirth would have to be average to beat him out, IMO.

Our forwards aren't any better at the top end, but they're deeper in the middle echelon. Reinhart should join Ennis and Hodgson as guys who can put up 40-50 points up front. Girgensons is an elite 3rd line center waiting to happen. Moulson is still a legitimate top 6 player for an average team. Stafford is having a contract year, and we know how he treats those.

I think Tim Murray has made some work for himself to get this team into last, and I'm not convinced he's committed to doing it, or if he wants to see the team improve a little right away.

In short, there's just a little too much on this team that I can point to and say "average" for me to think we're a lock for last.

jBuds

pretty damn valuable
Sponsor
Apr 9, 2005
Richmond, VA
We won't be record setting bad like we were.

Gorges, Meszaros, Benoit, Pysyk/Ristolainen is a certain upgrade.

We just won't score goals. So 22-26th

mgeise

May 20, 2006
Fargo, ND
Dealing the better goaltender of Enroth/Neuvirth, Stafford, Stewart, and Meszaros and/or Benoit (if they play well and hold any value at at the deadline) wouldn't be too difficult. I think Murray will do this both to maximize future assets and ensure that this team will be bad enough down the stretch to be there at the bottom.

RobertR

Jul 5, 2012
19th

All players improve.

Risto with a top4d performance.
Reinhart wins Calder 18+38
Moulson scores 30 goals.
Myers puts 40pts.
Girgs becomes nightmare to play against for every player.
Ennis and Cody both have ~55pts, also their defensive game improves.
Both golies with a career years.

:naughty:

allsilverdreams

Jan 17, 2011
year 2 with Teddy i think we improve
we may be lacking goal scorers and a top end golie.but the system Teddy plays should keep us in plenty of games.i see us in the early 20's to mid 20's.but maybe the Islanders suck it up that we still get the #1 or #2 pick

Girgensons28

Jul 23, 2014
Portage, Indiana
19th

All players improve.

Risto with a top4d performance.
Reinhart wins Calder 18+38
Moulson scores 30 goals.
Myers puts 40pts.
Girgs becomes nightmare to play against for every player.
Ennis and Cody both have ~55pts, also their defensive game improves.
Both golies with a career years.

:naughty:

No way in hell this team is good enough offensively for ours players to put up those point totals.

Bottom three, but probably dead last.

labbatt

Feb 27, 2014
I picked 30th because I don't believe we will score very many goals this season and that our goalies can't keep us in close game. That being said, not having guys on our starting roster named Scott, Lieno, Konapoka, Conacher, and the rest of the waiver pickups, will make the team more competitive, so they'll be in the 27-30 range.

Paxon

202* Stanley Cup Champions
Jul 13, 2003
Rochester, NY
year 2 with Teddy i think we improve
we may be lacking goal scorers and a top end golie.but the system Teddy plays should keep us in plenty of games.i see us in the early 20's to mid 20's.but maybe the Islanders suck it up that we still get the #1 or #2 pick

Anyone thinking we're better than the Islanders is a homer.

DolanPlsGoSabres

スカンデッラ
Mar 17, 2013
Nagoya
It's really hard to say, and I'm more of a guy who likes watching things play out than make preds all the time...but here goes my rationale.

Risto, Pysyk, Meszaros >>>>> Sulzer, McBain, Scott
I think this difference will make a greater positive impact than the negative impact of losing Ehrhoff. It's not like this team lost Ehrhoff and is replacing his spot with Sulzer.

I think there's much more forward depth than last season, with no more Omark, D'Agostini, Conacher, etc. but instead having servicable vets playing the 3rd line.

As most people would think, goalie would be the biggest question mark. Neuvirth did stand on his head a couple games he played here, if he shows flashes of brilliance like that, the goaltending wouldn't be as bad as some may think...

So I say still a bottom 4 team, but no guarantees on last.

My Cozen Dylan

Feb 21, 2014
Jacksonville, FL
League-Known Talent

Last season: Miller, Ehrhoff, Vanek (to start), Ott

This season: Umm... Moulson maybe?

While I agree our D has certainly improved, we still won't be scoring the goals we need. I predict we will be much more competitive, however, in terms of on the ice play (not standings). Teams will have to earn a win.

That said, we are still a dead last team. Last season we were 14 pts below 29th and 25 pts below 27th. Given the loss of talent, yet gain of compete...We will close that gap but still be last. My season prediction: 28-45-9, 65 points, 30th place. (2013-14: 21-51-10, 52 pts)

DolanPlsGoSabres

スカンデッラ
Mar 17, 2013
Nagoya
League-Known Talent

Last season: Miller, Ehrhoff, Vanek (to start), Ott

This season: Umm... Moulson maybe?

While I agree our D has certainly improved, we still won't be scoring the goals we need. I predict we will be much more competitive, however, in terms of on the ice play (not standings). Teams will have to earn a win.

That said, we are still a dead last team. Last season we were 14 pts below 29th and 25 pts below 27th. Given the loss of talent, yet gain of compete...We will close that gap but still be last. My season prediction: 28-45-9, 65 points, 30th place. (2013-14: 21-51-10, 52 pts)

I would say Ennis and Hodgson at least are league known players, maybe can add Myers to that mix.

Paxon

202* Stanley Cup Champions
Jul 13, 2003
Rochester, NY
I guess I could have phrased it better? All-star performers may be a better term?

Sure, but then you have to drop Ott, because he's nowhere near that level or the level of the guys you listed. There are several guys on the team as good or better than Ott.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad