Speculation: Where Do The Canucks Finish?

I in the Eye

Drop a ball it falls
Dec 14, 2002
Miss the playoffs, somewhere around 12th pick...

This season, the core had something to prove (that the previous year was an anomaly). They squeaked in. Once in, there really is no excuse why they lost. They should have won, and they beat themselves, IMO. If they were going to prove a capable playoff team, that this core still had it, it would have been this year. I'm betting that the team now knows it too. It's getting old... It's getting stale. Just making the playoffs seemed good enough for everyone involved... And yet, the new being brought in to bring life isn't going to keep the engine going, nevermind move things to bigger and better from the present. This Canucks team has been outstanding... but can't just plug and play new players in. To keep this heart of a Canuck running would take the skillful hands of a surgeon... Not the simple hands of a butcher.

Next season, this motivation has lost some of it's "pull". The Sedins rumbling about ice time (and a few other players) to me implies frustration in the room. For everything we hear, there's a lot more that we don't. I'm also betting that the team is going to run with Miller and Markstrom. Miller either regresses a bit, or is injured a lot, and Markstrom doesn't do as great a Lack impression in the absence. More responsibility for Sbisa, more playing of the non-waiver eligible group, and questionable roster deployment decisions... I think adds up to around 12th place overall. If Hamhuis is traded, and Sbisa is counted on to be his replacement, could get into the top 10.

If I'm a Benning advisor, my advice is to keep all of his 2016 picks. With multiple members of the core hitting UFA next year, it does seem like the right time to officially announce the closing of the old book... through trading those impending UFA's for picks at the deadline. Fully appreciate what this team has done... It's been a lot of fun. But, time can be both great, and cruel... and this time, it's time to get the shovels and rope.

Last edited:

Rick Rocket

Regetstred User
May 22, 2008
with the roster as it probably stands, just miss the playoffs.
with a couple good trades, we make the playoffs for sure.

LeftCoast

Aug 1, 2006
Vancouver
The only shoo-ins for the playoffs in the Western Conference will be Chicago, Anaheim and St. Louis. There is so much parity beyond that that 2015-16 it will likely come right down to the wire for 4 or 5 teams in the West.

Nashville is always a contender. Winnipeg and Calgary are on the rise. San Jose is rebuilding. Where does LA stand?

I think we will right on the edge of the playoffs and either make it or not in the last 2 or 3 games.

ginner classic

Dammit Jim!
Mar 4, 2002
Douglas Park
The only shoo-ins for the playoffs in the Western Conference will be Chicago, Anaheim and St. Louis. There is so much parity beyond that that 2015-16 it will likely come right down to the wire for 4 or 5 teams in the West.

Nashville is always a contender. Winnipeg and Calgary are on the rise. San Jose is rebuilding. Where does LA stand?

I think we will right on the edge of the playoffs and either make it or not in the last 2 or 3 games.

Dallas (RD) and Colorado (LD) are one player each from being playoff teams. I can't imagine that Dallas won't be able to find a suitable backup goalie this year.

Locks
Anaheim (1)
St Louis (1)
Chicago (2)
Minnesota (3)

Likely
LA (2)
Nashville (WC)
Winnipeg (WC)
Calgary (3)

Challengers
Dallas
Colorado

Confused
Vancouver
San Jose

Emerging
Edmonton

Awful
Arizona

Only way we make it is if two of Calgary, LA and San Jose finish behind us. I don't see that happening. In my opinion, Vancouver making the playoffs will be 80% based on where we finish relative to Calgary.

Last edited:

mdobbs

Oct 21, 2010
Dallas (RD) and Colorado (LD) are one player each from being playoff teams. I can't imagine that Dallas won't be able to find a suitable backup goalie this year.

Locks
Anaheim (1)
St Louis (1)
Chicago (2)
Minnesota (3)

Likely
LA (2)
Nashville (WC)
Winnipeg (WC)
Calgary (3)

Challengers
Dallas
Colorado

Confused
Vancouver
San Jose

Emerging
Edmonton

Awful
Arizona

Only way we make it is if two of Calgary, LA and San Jose finish behind us. I don't see that happening. In my opinion, Vancouver making the playoffs will be 80% based on where we finish relative to Calgary.

Canucks have as good a shot as Calgary, San Jose, Colorado or Dallas to make the playoffs next year. If we don't make the playoffs it's gonna be a close miss.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad