Speculation: Where Do The Canucks Finish?

geebaan

7th round busted
Oct 27, 2012
So reading a lot of the GM threads, and various prospect threads, there seems to be a lot of debate of what the roster might look like starting next season.

Regardless of what happens(barring some trading/prospect miracles), where do people see the Canucks finishing in the Western Conference this coming season, with the said roster of current and potential new coming prospect/players?

canucks10

Jan 15, 2014
Over the Rainbow
Hard to tell before free agency etc. But as things stand now probably between 7-9 in the west I think some teams Calgary/Nashville/St. Louis will take a step back next year and teams like LA/San Jose/Dallas/Colorado will be better then last year.

But if we were to move a Vrbata or a Hamhuis we could very well be worse

VibinCanuck

No doubt about it, I am ready to get hurt again
Sep 13, 2014
Vancouver
This is a question for late August and into September.

We barely have any idea what the roster will be like for next season with the draft, trades and free agency still a factor in changing up the roster.

I hope the Canucks miss the playoffs just to provide a reality check ownership needs to start a youth movement. Not truly tanking because the Sedins won't let that happen, but more of a stable set up to get some great prospects for the future.

Hardyvan123

tweet@HardyintheWack
Jul 4, 2010
Vancouver
too early to tell but as much as the Canucks over achieved last year they might fall back more than people think, except Willie is alot like AV, a regular season whiz and can get more out of a group than many coaches can.

That being said the west is very competitive and anywhere from 6-12th is possible as other younger teams find their way.

Cupless44

Jun 25, 2014
I have a hard time seeing them making the playoffs in the west next season

coastal_nuck

Jun 28, 2006
Hard to predict with this team. For all we know, they could sneak in and surprise us like they did this year. The Sedins are not regressing as fast as people think and as long as they are here, we will be somewhat competitive.

NoShowWilly

Apr 4, 2010
North Delta
Edmonton will likely finish 7-8th.

Without some drastic changes, the Canucks miss the playoffs.

first year of connor mcdavid does not improve the Oilers 35 points. They have a long ways to go before even finishing 7-8. They let in 276 goals this year. That team is really one dimensional.

Look at Dallas. Team scored the second most goals in the league and finished out of the playoffs.

If the Canucks field a similar team to last year they'll be a bubble team again.

Numbers

Sep 26, 2011
Sedin - Sedin - Kassian
Burrows - Bonino - Vrbata
Baertschi - Horvat - Hansen
Virtanen - Vey - Dorsett
Grenier
Kenins

Edler - Tanev
Hamhuis - Weber
Sbisa - Clendening
Corrado
Stanton

Miller
Lack

Trade
Bieksa
Higgins
Markstrom

I assume there will be at least 1 injury out of training camp that is why my roster is 24. Retain a little salary on the trades if need be. If some of the young players improve I can see the Canucks being a little better next year. If not will be a little worse. Overall I see them competing for the 2-3 spot in the division or wild card.

Bourne Endeavor

Apr 6, 2009
Montreal, Quebec
Depends on what happens during the off season. Optimistically, we have a similar run to what we just had. Realistically, I think we'll miss as Dallas and Colorado make a charge. LA is also a threat, though less than most might think.

If the rumors of Benning souring on Vrbata and asking Burrows and Higgins to waive turn out true. We're not a playoff team.

Hammer79

Jan 9, 2009
Kelowna
I want to see what this team look like a few days into July before I'm ready to make a prediction. I think there will be some big trades with roster players moving on. They have to decide what they are going to do with Hamhuis, Lack and Bieksa, who are approaching their contract years.

GPNuck

Nov 25, 2013
Edmonton will likely finish 7-8th.

Without some drastic changes, the Canucks miss the playoffs.

They Damn well better.. IF the Oilers finish bottom 5 again next year and have a shot at Auston Matthews i'll be pissed

GPNuck

Nov 25, 2013
Sedin - Sedin - Kassian
Burrows - Bonino - Vrbata
Baertschi - Horvat - Hansen
Virtanen - Vey - Dorsett
Grenier
Kenins

Edler - Tanev
Hamhuis - Weber
Sbisa - Clendening
Corrado
Stanton

Miller
Lack

Trade
Bieksa
Higgins
Markstrom

I assume there will be at least 1 injury out of training camp that is why my roster is 24. Retain a little salary on the trades if need be. If some of the young players improve I can see the Canucks being a little better next year. If not will be a little worse. Overall I see them competing for the 2-3 spot in the division or wild card.

No way is Kenins the 14th forward. He'll be on the roster for sure

donut

Sep 5, 2012
IMO we'll be in the 18-22 range in the standings. Just hoping a miracle happens and we win the lottery :laugh:

BimJenning

Feb 17, 2008
Vancouver
IMO we'll be in the 18-22 range in the standings. Just hoping a miracle happens and we win the lottery :laugh:
This is honestly where I see the team. We're set to lose a lot of depth with the lack of cap space, and I really don't see any of the young players not on the team being major contributors, though I do think guys like Corrado and Stanton are better than some of the people arguably higher valued by the current regime.

That being said, much like this year, they're a Henrik Sedin injury away from being a potential lottery team.

Numbers

Sep 26, 2011
No way is Kenins the 14th forward. He'll be on the roster for sure

I'm not so sure he makes the team for sure because he had a strong start and then started to fade. However I did say that there is usually at least 1 forward injured out of training camp and if that's the case Kenins could easily slot into the opening night roster.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad