Speculation: Where Are We Going to be Able to get More 2015 Top 60 Draft Picks?

Babcocks Marner

It's a magical time
Mar 3, 2015
Toronto
I would put money on the Leafs getting another 1st.

I mean they could get another 3-4 top 60 picks, depends on who they move.

If this was Vegas odds, I would peg the Leafs at -600 to add at least one more 1st.
Kessel/Bozak/Phaneuf/Kadri/JVR (Not that I agree to all those players) but someone is bringing back a 1st.

deletethis

Mar 17, 2015
Toronto
Edmonton is a natural thought but they've got to be on everyone's no trade list. Maybe a smaller trade for a 2nd rounder for a guy like Polak. I don't want to move Kadri but Edmonton might be a fit for him since they lack legit NHL centers. I guess there's also Reimer and Bernier but I'm perfectly content to keep they both on the team for next season. While they both could've played better this season, they aren't the main issue with this team.

Rather than their draft picks, I'd like to get our hands on some of Detroit's recently drafted prospects if they're still kicking tires on Phaneuf.

I suspect all of Dallas, New Jersey, Colorado and San Jose are in that "buy now" mode where they'll be in the market to upgrade immediately this summer. I would think of any one of them putting draft picks into play.

darrylsittler27

Oct 21, 2002
I'm betting one more first.

But if it is for Bozak it will be very late. Phaneuff could land us a first also. Kessel won't be traded, nor will Lupul.

Babcocks Marner

It's a magical time
Mar 3, 2015
Toronto
Edmonton is a natural thought but they've got to be on everyone's no trade list. Maybe a smaller trade for a 2nd rounder for a guy like Polak. I don't want to move Kadri but Edmonton might be a fit for him since they lack legit NHL centers. I guess there's also Reimer and Bernier but I'm perfectly content to keep they both on the team for next season. While they both could've played better this season, they aren't the main issue with this team.

Rather than their draft picks, I'd like to get our hands on some of Detroit's recently drafted prospects if they're still kicking tires on Phaneuf.

I suspect all of Dallas, New Jersey, Colorado and San Jose are in that "buy now" mode where they'll be in the market to upgrade immediately this summer. I would think of any one of them putting draft picks into play.

Add Philly to the list of buyers. Make playoffs next year or they are all fired. They might be the most desperate of the bunch.

HoweHullOrr

Oct 3, 2013
The key is which teams are on the player's list. That is a big filter in all of this.

stymie

Oct 15, 2014
I'd throw as much as it takes to get Edmonton's first.
Take you pick of any defenceman not named Rielly.
Take as many as you like.

HoweHullOrr

Oct 3, 2013
Panthers GM and owners have already said they'd take Kessel only if he comes very very cheap. I dont see us trading a 1rst.
The best offer Panthers could do is in the ballpark of 2nd rounder, Hayes and Boyes. It's bad. I know

I feel like this interpretation is a pretty big leap from what was said

Tallon:

This doesn't say anything about value, and the only other thing I could find is they aren't interested in trading Ekblad, Barkov or Huberdeau, which came from mackenzie

Let's put it this way. Rumour flying around Huberdeau in a deal for Kessel. One of the Panthers owners goes public on twitter and calls it "Manure"

Panthers like many other budget teams that have been patiently rebuilding will certainly have alternatives other than taking on our $8 m player.

HeroNtF

Jul 9, 2012
Phaneuf, Reimer to Edmonton for Purcell, Schultz, Edmonton 2nd (33rd currently), Conditional 2016 2nd (Oilers make playoffs, Reimer plays 40 games)

Purcell presents option for Kessel's absence or for second line, and relieves some cap for the Oilers. From my experience Oilers fans would give Schultz away for nothing, He is a RFA this summer, and has struggled, I wouldn't mind giving Schultz and Gardiner a go together, at worst they are bad and put up huge minuses going into a rebuild.
Picks are always a tricky part, I think Phaneuf is worth a late 1st with a cap dump coming back, and the second is equal enough value.

Is value close enough there ?
Get our direction changed, pick up a stop gap to potential kessel trade / a young dman who could spark with Gardiner again or deadline asset / the chance to grab a 1st round faller with early 2nd / Then a pick next year apon improvement to Oilers lineup with these additions.

deletethis

Mar 17, 2015
Toronto
Add Philly to the list of buyers. Make playoffs next year or they are all fired. They might be the most desperate of the bunch.

This is certainly true. Philly usually rush to make a big splash in the summer following a playoff miss. Quite often big names come into play as well. I do wonder what their capacity to take a huge contract like Phaneuf's or Kessel's would be. I bet they'd like to acquire Phaneuf. He plays the type of game they usually like.

tooncesmeow

May 3, 2013
Melbourne, FL
The difference between them almost making the playoffs and picking top 3 is Luongo. They better hope he does it again next season

They also have one of the best up and coming defensive cores with Ekblad, Gudbranson, Kulikov, Matheson, Petrovic and have one of the better center groups not to mention a great young winger in Huberdeau.. and they have Luongo. That team is going to be real scary, real soon, their wings are just terrible. I dunno. That low ball just sounds like typical beginning of negotian stuff.

Babcocks Marner

It's a magical time
Mar 3, 2015
Toronto
This is certainly true. Philly usually rush to make a big splash in the summer following a playoff miss. Quite often big names come into play as well. I do wonder what their capacity to take a huge contract like Phaneuf's or Kessel's would be. I bet they'd like to acquire Phaneuf. He plays the type of game they usually like.

This is where we take on a bad contract to pry the 1st out of them.

If the Leafs are truly rebuilding, than one of our biggest assets is being able to take dumps for 2-3 years for prospects, picks, or to add massive value to a player.

The Apologist

Apologizing for Leaf garbage since 1979
Oct 16, 2007
Leaf Nation Hell
While the fans of the two teams will never agree on value of a trade, there is a fit to send Phaneuf to Colorado for their approx. 8th overall pick. It comes down to how much salary is withheld for such a deal, and if anything else needs to be moved. I'd be happy just to do Phaneuf, withhold $1.5-2 for the 8th and call it a day.

Id be willing to do Phaneuf for the 8th-9th whichever, but if we're retaining too, there better be more coming back. Odds are not great they get anything as good as Phaneuf with that pick, nor will we. For us to also eat contract is just plain dumb.

I think its more likely we see him in Edmonton. Im not sure Edmonton wouldn't deal that 1st for the right package and Phaneuf is something they sorely need.

The Apologist

Oct 16, 2007
Leaf Nation Hell
Phaneuf, Reimer to Edmonton for Purcell, Schultz, Edmonton 2nd (33rd currently), Conditional 2016 2nd (Oilers make playoffs, Reimer plays 40 games)

Purcell presents option for Kessel's absence or for second line, and relieves some cap for the Oilers. From my experience Oilers fans would give Schultz away for nothing, He is a RFA this summer, and has struggled, I wouldn't mind giving Schultz and Gardiner a go together, at worst they are bad and put up huge minuses going into a rebuild.
Picks are always a tricky part, I think Phaneuf is worth a late 1st with a cap dump coming back, and the second is equal enough value.

Is value close enough there ?
Get our direction changed, pick up a stop gap to potential kessel trade / a young dman who could spark with Gardiner again or deadline asset / the chance to grab a 1st round faller with early 2nd / Then a pick next year apon improvement to Oilers lineup with these additions.

I don't like this deal at all.
We don't need Schultz, we already have Gardiner and Rielly and both are arguably better than him.
If Im not getting a first back for Phaneuf Im not doing the deal. I don't do that package for Phaneuf alone. It doesn't do anything for us.
And why are we throwing in Reimer?

The Apologist

Oct 16, 2007
Leaf Nation Hell
But if it is for Bozak it will be very late. Phaneuff could land us a first also. Kessel won't be traded, nor will Lupul.

Agreed. I still think Toronto and Edmonton do something this summer around Phaneuf. Edmonton needs to take that next step AND need a big physical dman to protect their budding stars. They have trouble attracting FAs. Phaneuf is the hometown boy, and I have to imagine that this guy wants out of this circus.

As for Bozak, I love the guy, but I see no possible way he gets a 1st, even a late one. I can see him getting a late 2 though.

YorkshireRose

Apr 9, 2014
Halifax, England
I think the chances of landing picks from young teams like the jets, oilers or flames are pretty slim.
The flames and jets will likely stand pat and add a little free agent depth whilst developing the prospects they already have, and i think its more likely that the oilers deal prospects that arent exactly thriving to fill gaps whilst maintaining their current picks.

I think its question mark teams who are on the bubble like the sharks, flyers, panthers, blue jackets, stars and canucks who we should be targeting, the right piece here and there could turn most of these teams into legitimate playoff teams.

The_Chosen_One

Jul 4, 2006
Melbourne, Australia
I don't like this deal at all.
We don't need Schultz, we already have Gardiner and Rielly and both are arguably better than him.
If Im not getting a first back for Phaneuf Im not doing the deal. I don't do that package for Phaneuf alone. It doesn't do anything for us.
And why are we throwing in Reimer?
Well said. The proposals are above are clearly underselling Phaneuf. If he's moved, we'll be getting a lot more.

ITM

Out on the front line, don't worry I'll be fine...
Jan 26, 2012
Phaneuf will not waive to stay in Canada. S.cal or North of Mexico

Most of the noise was coming out of Detroit though wasn't it? Dallas seemed to be the next best option after LA.

Drew75

Sep 5, 2005
I think the chances of landing picks from young teams like the jets, oilers or flames are pretty slim.
The flames and jets will likely stand pat and add a little free agent depth whilst developing the prospects they already have, and i think its more likely that the oilers deal prospects that arent exactly thriving to fill gaps whilst maintaining their current picks.

I think its question mark teams who are on the bubble like the sharks, flyers, panthers, blue jackets, stars and canucks who we should be targeting, the right piece here and there could turn most of these teams into legitimate playoff teams.

I agree that none of those teams are likely to trade their high 1st rounder's, but these teams have multiple picks -

I can see Winnipeg willing to move St. Louis' 1st in the right deal, or the Oilers moving Pittsburgh's 1st. Calgary has 3 2nd's, and will likely be willing to move at least one of them to fill a hole.

gabeliscious

Jan 8, 2009
Most of the noise was coming out of Detroit though wasn't it? Dallas seemed to be the next best option after LA.

i could see dallas parting with their 1st + a salary dump (maybe hemsky?) for phaneuf. i cant see detroit offering something better.

im not sure how you figure LA is a good option. i can understand why phaneuf would want to go there but they have enough defenseman.

doughty
sekera
martinez
muzzin
voynov
greene

JayDog17

Dec 23, 2014
Can also get inventive and start taking salary dumps and good picks in return for future considerations from the cap strapped teams. Bruins Savard and a second for future considerations (or a 7th). Something like that. As we are in a rebuild, take on bad contracts up to cap as long as we get good picks with them.

TheKingSlayer

He was in the way!
Mar 12, 2008
Ottawa
Can also get inventive and start taking salary dumps and good picks in return for future considerations from the cap strapped teams. Bruins Savard and a second for future considerations (or a 7th). Something like that. As we are in a rebuild, take on bad contracts up to cap as long as we get good picks with them.

Bruins don't need to move Savard, nor do the Flyers need to move Pronger. They would only trade those contracts to teams needing to get above the cap floor - they would likely RECEIVE something for them, not give up. At the very least it is a crap for crap scenario.

darrylsittler27

Oct 21, 2002
Phanueff wont go.

Agreed. I still think Toronto and Edmonton do something this summer around Phaneuf. Edmonton needs to take that next step AND need a big physical dman to protect their budding stars. They have trouble attracting FAs. Phaneuf is the hometown boy, and I have to imagine that this guy wants out of this circus.

As for Bozak, I love the guy, but I see no possible way he gets a 1st, even a late one. I can see him getting a late 2 though.

Even before he blocked the deal out West I had heard he doesn't want to play in Canada anymore,"Too much pressure". Edmonton might want Phaneuff but he doesn't want to play in a circus like Edmonton either.His 12 teams will be stateside.

HoweHullOrr

Oct 3, 2013

I would tend to agree with your trend of thought and also add that these are budget teams that tend to develop by building (drafting) versus buying.

I would move Florida and Blue Jackets over into this category as well. Jackets have won a lot of games in last month and have a solid winning streak going for them lately. They are actually a good team, but ran into a pile of injuries early in the season, and thus the season was a write off.

Florida I think are a young team that will get better on the basis of their young talent alone. I see a lower cost veteran forward on a short term as a better fit for them e.g., Jagr.

As for Phaneuf, the teams on his list will dictate a lot, and does anybody even know if Edmonton is on his list? I can see reasons why Edmonton would not be on his list.

Just my idea or 2 cents so to speak.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad