Speculation: Where Are We Going to be Able to get More 2015 Top 60 Draft Picks?

Drew75

Sep 5, 2005
Note to Mods: While I understand this could be a draft thread or offseason thread – I’m hoping you agree this specific topic deserves its own thread.

With the rebuild starting – it’s no secret that we are in need of more picks in the upcoming draft – especially with how deep this draft is shaping up to be! I thought we could look at which teams may potentially be willing to move a 1st or 2nd round pick – and what we have that may fit their needs.

Dallas: Currently holds 10th overall, and Detroit’s 2nd rounder. They are likely looking to go for the playoffs next year, and thus MAY be willing to deal in order to fill some holes. The likely candidate here would be Phaneuf, with an outside chance of a Kessel deal. They have the cap space to make it work, but we’d likely need to take on Hemsky in any deal. If they are intent on keeping their first, their 2nd may be in play as part of a smaller, say for a Polak.

Edmonton: Currently holds 2 1st round picks, and 2 2nd rounder’s as well. It’s pretty plain that they need to do something drastic in order to get themselves out of ‘rebuild’ mode as soon as possible – and thus may be willing to move some of those picks for established players that can help them right away. Phaneuf is a hometown boy, fills a big need for them, and MAY possibly be willing to go there – is there a possibility to get Pittsburgh’s 1st and maybe even one of their 2nd’s? I think it’s very unlikely they will move their top pick.

Columbus: Currently has a 1st that I don’t think they’ll move, but also 3 2nd’s (including ours). As the notion is they feel they are better than the standings shows, they are probably very willing to fill holes using one or even two of their 2nd rounder’s. Probably not a Phaneuf destination – but would a Bozak interest them if we took a shorter term contract back? Kessel would be a perfect fit for them, but as they’re a budget conscious team, I don’t see how his contract would fit.

Philadelphia: A team always trying to get over the hump with moves for the immediate, there could be a nice fit here as they have 2 1st’s and a late 2nd (from Chicago). A likely fit would be sending something like Polak or Reimer / Bernier + taking on a contract to give them some cap room – something we may have to explain to them what it means. Umberger (2 Years X $4.6) and Vinny (3 Years X $4.5) are potential guys we can fit in during the lean years to provide some mentorship to our youth. Would you consider bringing in an over-the-hill mentor if we could somehow pry that #7/8 pick from them? They may even be willing to pay for Phaneuf / Kessel if we took contracts – but they’d be stupid to considering their contract situation.

Calgary: After a great season – they are entering the draft with their own 1st – which they won’t move – but also 3 2nd’s. I think most likely they could be looking at a guy like Reimer as the rumours are they are not sold on their goaltending. They may also push hard for a Polak / Gardiner or even take a flier on a Lupul if we ate salary.

Honorable Mentions:

• San Jose – Changing directions after years of not cashing in. Still have their own 1st and 2nd, with rumours to be interested in either Phaneuf / Kessel
  • Winnipeg – On the cusp, with 2 1st’s and their own 2nd to play with – not to mention decent cap space to add pieces.
  • New Jersey – with a 1st and 2 2nd’s – who knows what uncle Lou is willing to do.

So where do you think we’d be able to grab extra picks for this draft, and what do you think are the needs of that team?

pooleboy

Dec 23, 2009
Ontario
I think this is a great thread idea and hope it doesn't get moved (as all the. Other threads are about specific prospects anyway)

I would target a top 8-12 pick. If we could get one of strome/hanifan/marner and then barzal/werenski/provorov/zacha/rantanen I would be very very happy

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
Florida might be a potential target with a bunch of youth already and willing to part with it for a vet. (ie like Kessel).

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
Florida is a team that probably will want to make a splash this off-season. Lot's of cap space and solid depth they can probably fork into upgrades.

Edmonton is definitely a team that will be desperate, or at least they should be. MacTavish is all ready on his last legs.

BertCorbeau

F*ck cancer - RIP Fugu and Buffaloed
Jan 6, 2012
Simcoe County
I think we'll have a better idea of potential trading partners once the playoffs are into a couple of rounds.

Teams that get bounced early might look to get eager to take the next step

Drew75

Sep 5, 2005
I think we'll have a better idea of potential trading partners once the playoffs are into a couple of rounds.

Teams that get bounced early might look to get eager to take the next step

Agreed - but due to the depth of this draft, I think even some of those teams will be unlikely to part with their 1st rounder's - likely offering their 2016 picks instead. IMHO, It will come down to teams with multiple picks (Philly, Winnipeg, etc), who can move a pick in this years for immediate help, while still being able to walk to the podium and grab a prospect themselves.

The only teams I see maybe being willing to move their only 1st is perhaps Boston, or a really late pick like Montreal / Anaheim. Even Detroit apparently balked at moving their 1st during the Phaneuf discussions.

Durrr

Sep 11, 2012
I think Florida will be keen to make a trade for a player like Kessel. Scoring was a big issue for them this season, and he fits that role perfectly. He wont be asked to be a leader, just to score.

MJ65

Jul 12, 2009
Toronto
Most likely Kessel to Florida and Dion to Detriot / Dallas / Edm (that's my guess)

MJ65

Jul 12, 2009
Toronto
Agreed - but due to the depth of this draft, I think even some of those teams will be unlikely to part with their 1st rounder's - likely offering their 2016 picks instead. IMHO, It will come down to teams with multiple picks (Philly, Winnipeg, etc), who can move a pick in this years for immediate help, while still being able to walk to the podium and grab a prospect themselves.

The only teams I see maybe being willing to move their only 1st is perhaps Boston, or a really late pick like Montreal / Anaheim. Even Detroit apparently balked at moving their 1st during the Phaneuf discussions.

Does not matter if it's 2015 or 2016, we just have to keep piling these draft picks

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007
While the fans of the two teams will never agree on value of a trade, there is a fit to send Phaneuf to Colorado for their approx. 8th overall pick. It comes down to how much salary is withheld for such a deal, and if anything else needs to be moved. I'd be happy just to do Phaneuf, withhold $1.5-2 for the 8th and call it a day.

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
What about Kessel to New Jersey for their first and some other assets? Lou hates to rebuild and Kessel can give them some scoring.

Mogo

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 26, 2002
Panthers GM and owners have already said they'd take Kessel only if he comes very very cheap. I dont see us trading a 1rst.
The best offer Panthers could do is in the ballpark of 2nd rounder, Hayes and Boyes. It's bad. I know

Last edited:

Teeder9

Free rent for Mo?
Oct 14, 2011
Ontario
I can't see Columbus or Calgary doing anything. Both can literally blame injuries for missing the playoffs, if Calgary indeed does. Clb's whole team and Giordano for the Flames. Can't see the Flames wanting Reimer when they have a comparable, but trending upward Ramo. Hiller is just better than Reimer anyway and is seen more than likely as a mentor at this point

The only thing I see Winnipeg maybe looking at would be a goaltender, but Reimer isn't better than what they have so only Bernier would be in the dscussion. They don't need dmen and they have Ehlers, and Armia most likely ready to go next season, plus Stafford and Tlusty to re-sign if they want someone cheap so likely not wingers either. They might look for a #3 center. No one we have is better than Little and they aren't moving Scheifele to make room for Bozak/Kadri when he could be better than both by next year.

Philly could be interesting. They made some nasty defense mistakes the past few years. Schenn trade, signing MacDonald long term. Streit has been their best dman by a country mile but is pretty old and only has one year left. They don't have any impact def. prospects close enough to make a difference in the next couple years either. The interesting question becomes, are you willing to take Vinny's contract back in a trade?

I think both the Sharks and Devil's have had enough with trying to make a difference. No trades to be done there except for teams trying to make the playoffs, or go further in them and want vets

Legion34

Jan 24, 2006
Panthers GM and owners have already said they'd take Kessel only if he comes very very cheap. I dont see us trading a 1rst.
The best offer Panthers could do is in the ballpark of 2nd rounder, Hayes and Boyes. It's bad. I know

I feel like this interpretation is a pretty big leap from what was said

Teeder9

Free rent for Mo?
Oct 14, 2011
Ontario
I feel like this interpretation is a pretty big leap from what was said

Tallon:

I think we're going to stay the course. We have a good blueprint, we know what we're doing, we have a brilliant future ahead of us, we’re still in the (playoff) hunt and we're going to just keep moving forward in the direction we planned three or four years ago.

This doesn't say anything about value, and the only other thing I could find is they aren't interested in trading Ekblad, Barkov or Huberdeau, which came from mackenzie

Mogo

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 26, 2002
Tallon:

This doesn't say anything about value, and the only other thing I could find is they aren't interested in trading Ekblad, Barkov or Huberdeau, which came from mackenzie

Let's put it this way. Rumour flying around Huberdeau in a deal for Kessel. One of the Panthers owners goes public on twitter and calls it "Manure"

Teeder9

Free rent for Mo?
Oct 14, 2011
Ontario
Let's put it this way. Rumour flying around Huberdeau in a deal for Kessel. One of the Panthers owners goes public on twitter and calls it "Manure"

The rumor or the trade? I wouldn't trade Huberdeau either mind you, just curious since nothing that has been said by anyone I can find refuted anything at all, just offered their take on what was said by others.

darrylsittler27

Oct 21, 2002
lol @ Florida

Nonnis informed Pitts they would take Malkin but only for their 2nd rounder.

"Panthers GM and owners have already said they'd take Kessel only if he comes very very cheap. I dont see us trading a 1rst.
The best offer Panthers could do is in the ballpark of 2nd rounder, Hayes and Boyes. It's bad. I know.."

Florida, who needs Kessel, foolishly took themselves out of the sweepstakes.We don't have to trade Kessel at all, how about this idea,get him a Center!?

Kessel can shelter Nylander and play much better with a real C. I don't see Tor. trying to lose next year nor give the playoffs to a division rival,its just Florida smoking funny stuff.

Tor has informed Florida they will take Ekblad but only if it is for free....puff pufff, nothing more than Brewer,McKegg and maybe a 3rd rounder coming back to us..

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
Florida tried to rip off the Leafs and now they're going to miss the playoffs again. Good on them!

Teeder9

Free rent for Mo?
Oct 14, 2011
Ontario
Florida tried to rip off the Leafs and now they're going to miss the playoffs again. Good on them!

The difference between them almost making the playoffs and picking top 3 is Luongo. They better hope he does it again next season

TribalPhoenix

Former TribalPhoenix
Dec 2, 2005
Toronto
What about Kessel to New Jersey for their first and some other assets? Lou hates to rebuild and Kessel can give them some scoring.

I've been thinking about this as well. This would be something that would probably suit Lou's thinking, since he's just not the rebuilding type and could probably squeeze it under the cap.

Something around Kessel for Clowe, Larsson, NJD 1st 2015, FLA 2nd 2015.

We take back a big, ugly contract in Clowe, get a formerly highly thought of defence prospect who will either sink or swim, plus a couple of top 60 picks.

Though that all said, the Devils may not want to move that pick if a guy like Marner is kicking around.... they need a #1 C as much as the Leafs.

Last edited:

buttman*

Florida is a team that probably will want to make a splash this off-season. Lot's of cap space and solid depth they can probably fork into upgrades.

Edmonton is definitely a team that will be desperate, or at least they should be. MacTavish is all ready on his last legs.

Edm only needs to finish last a few more years and then imagine the team they'll have...

Drew75

Sep 5, 2005
I can't see Columbus or Calgary doing anything. Both can literally blame injuries for missing the playoffs, if Calgary indeed does. Clb's whole team and Giordano for the Flames. Can't see the Flames wanting Reimer when they have a comparable, but trending upward Ramo. Hiller is just better than Reimer anyway and is seen more than likely as a mentor at this point

The only thing I see Winnipeg maybe looking at would be a goaltender, but Reimer isn't better than what they have so only Bernier would be in the dscussion. They don't need dmen and they have Ehlers, and Armia most likely ready to go next season, plus Stafford and Tlusty to re-sign if they want someone cheap so likely not wingers either. They might look for a #3 center. No one we have is better than Little and they aren't moving Scheifele to make room for Bozak/Kadri when he could be better than both by next year.

Philly could be interesting. They made some nasty defense mistakes the past few years. Schenn trade, signing MacDonald long term. Streit has been their best dman by a country mile but is pretty old and only has one year left. They don't have any impact def. prospects close enough to make a difference in the next couple years either. The interesting question becomes, are you willing to take Vinny's contract back in a trade?

I think both the Sharks and Devil's have had enough with trying to make a difference. No trades to be done there except for teams trying to make the playoffs, or go further in them and want vets

I really think Philly could be in consideration, but I wonder if giving them cap-space is enough, and we can keep our big assets like Phaneuf for another deal.

If we took Umberger AND Levavelier off their hands, say for Polak + - and they throw in their 2015 1st (Provorov, Crouse, Ratanen(sp) or imagine even Barzal) . I mean - that's giving a team that is right up against the cap a solid top 4 D, AND about $5million of cap space. Remember - they still have another late 1st from Tampa, so they won't be leaving the draft empty handed either.

Umberger has only 2 years left, and could be moved for a mid draft pick in his last year, and who knows if getting #2 Centre ice time can rejuvenate Vinny enough that his $4.5 actually becomes moveable? If we truly tear it down and move out Kessel, Phaneuf, Bozak, and potentially Lupul, we'll have plenty of space for the next 3 years - and these two, while not putting up the points they used to, are decent vets to mentor the youngin's.

gordonshumway

Sep 18, 2010
Highly doubt Philly would part with their own 1st in a salary dump move like this... Tampa's pick maybe but not their own.

Shwaguy*

Honestly if we got a second pick between 8-12 I'd like Crouse

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad