Speculation: Where Are We Going to be Able to get More 2015 Top 60 Draft Picks?

silentbob37*

top 60........definate maybe

Top 10.......seriously doubt it.

The Apologist

Apologizing for Leaf garbage since 1979
Oct 16, 2007
Leaf Nation Hell
I would tend to agree with your trend of thought and also add that these are budget teams that tend to develop by building (drafting) versus buying.

I would move Florida and Blue Jackets over into this category as well. Jackets have won a lot of games in last month and have a solid winning streak going for them lately. They are actually a good team, but ran into a pile of injuries early in the season, and thus the season was a write off.

Florida I think are a young team that will get better on the basis of their young talent alone. I see a lower cost veteran forward on a short term as a better fit for them e.g., Jagr.

As for Phaneuf, the teams on his list will dictate a lot, and does anybody even know if Edmonton is on his list? I can see reasons why Edmonton would not be on his list.

Just my idea or 2 cents so to speak.

I can see one reason. I dot buy the whole 'attention' thing. And yes, Edmonton does need a Phaneuf. They're one of few teams that make the Leafs look tough.

LeafalCrusader

Oct 3, 2013
Winnipeg
Could see Colorado Dallas or Edmonton as good fits for Phaneuf. All 3 desperatley need to improve their blueline if they hope to challenge for a playoff spot next year.

For Kessel as others say I think Florida's the best fit. Not sure who else.

Bozak could be anyone looking to add a 2/3 center.

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
Kessel is the only player I can realistically see on the roster that will get us a top 12 pick. I don't see any team trading a top 6 pick this draft.

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
Follow up on to dealing Kessel.

I would have to think Philly, Florida, SJ, may be interested in him. They do not seem to be rebuilding teams. May want to expedite contention.

Would they deal their 1st rd picks?

pucci2001

Jun 3, 2012
The difference between them almost making the playoffs and picking top 3 is Luongo. They better hope he does it again next season

The question is do they know/do they believe Luongo is the only reason they were almost in the playoffs? Bjugstad and Barkov are looking great for them and Ekblad is the real deal so maybe they think they are more ready than they really are?

Quares27

Apr 3, 2013
I can see Bozak getting traded at the draft. I'm sure a bunch of teams will be looking for a secondary center option and i'm sure he could pull two 2nds or something like that considering he's signed long term. Other than that I don't think anybody will be traded before the 2015 draft.

For Kessel and Phaneuf we're not going to get a top 10 pick simply because teams with top 10 picks aren't going to be looking for guys like that. I think it's more likely for someone like Kessel we get a great prospect/young player + a late 1st from a contender

We're going to suck so we can easily retain and that will get us some extra value and be able to turn something like a 2nd rounder into a 1st rounder. Right now we're retaining for Winnik and Gunner and Winnik's a UFA this year so that will expire

Teeder9

Free rent for Mo?
Oct 14, 2011
Ontario
The question is do they know/do they believe Luongo is the only reason they were almost in the playoffs? Bjugstad and Barkov are looking great for them and Ekblad is the real deal so maybe they think they are more ready than they really are?

Huberdeau has been their best forward offensively, but even with their young guys getting better without luongo it was never even close. Think us. That said, it was a pretty damn good move bringing in luongo to give them a chance to fight for the playoffs so I have to think they know. Whether they believe Kessel or even JVR is worth parting with pieces is hard to know, but they won't get anything for free.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad