Where are we at? What is the potential? What needs to be done?

ReggieMoto

Nov 24, 2003
Manchester, NH
We have a strong core of proven players who I love to root for. We have holes right now at first line RW and top four defenseman. My opinion is that the one at forward is the most glaring. If it is solved, this team will look SUBSTANTIALLY stronger than it currently does.

What needs to be done?
First and absolutely foremost, we have to see if the answer at RW is on this roster.

I would add that the answer to the 2nd pairing dman is also not on the roster.

My opinion is basically the same as yours with one exception: I think filling either position (wing or dman) makes the team substantially stronger, but in no case is filling only one position enough. I believe that both positions must be filled or the team will not go far in the playoffs, and I don't believe it's assured the team as presently constituted can make the playoffs.

This is why I think the Boychuck trade was so ill-advised. The team already had the one hole and another one got created, needlessly in my opinion. And there was obviously no immediate plan to resolve that. I question whether there is much of a plan right now outside of the team has picks and some rooks that *may* look good enough come the trade deadline.

Just spit-balling here, but I wonder if moving Boychuck before the start of the season was calculated based on an equation that projected the Bruins being an even more weak and vulnerable team by the trade deadline? Chia has already said that he was struggling making deals he would have been satisfied with, due primarily I think because the other GMs knew he needed to make moves. Imagine the difficulty of moving someone like Boychuck at the trade deadline if the team was struggling and vulnerable. Chia would have been bent over a barrel and there probably wouldn't have been much he could do about it.

bruinsfan001

Apr 2, 2010
A goal scorer for the top line, better in game attentiveness for 60 minutes, conservative emotions and better leadership from certain players. This team has the potential to be very good if they just stick with it and improve on these things.

BRUINS since 1995

May 10, 2010
Au pays de la neige
If CJ system has work with depth and Rolling four lines, his system might need to adjust to our actual line up. If Soderberg is that good, why is he on the third line?

If we lack of a good RW on the first line.... why do we put a rookie or a guy who didn't play for 1 and a half year.

If we have problem scoring, why spread our good players?

If Chara is aging and Seidenberg having problem, others need to take advantage. If Miller, or Bart can't - is there somebody younger that can have a look in our backyard (don't know in Providence - just asking)

My thoughts.

You wait and be patience, give the guy's time. 20 games or so. That would still be my first option. Reducing the bench faster though in tough games. I still trust CJ and the Bruins Core event with my questionning. If it doesn't work and if no trades are interesting you might need to adjust: see below line up

or

Change your line up:

Lucic - DK - Bergy
Marchand-Soderberg-eriksson
LW-Kelly-Smith
Paille-Campbell-Spooner

Role 20+ the first line etc....

BRUINS since 1995

May 10, 2010
Au pays de la neige
Seids and McQuaid - coming back from season ending injuries
Krug - no camp
Hamilton - pressure of increased responsibility

These defensive issues are hitting Rask's confidence too. I expect us to be in full swing soon enough, it's just going to take a little time. The loss of leadership in the dressing room surely hasn't helped either

---------
On your first comment regarding the D core I agree. It is my main Bruins concern since the loss of Fernece and Chara aging.

On the bold part (RASK) I disagree.

Rask is THE D leader. He is actually THE one to add confidence to his D core and the Bruins. If he can't do it (which is not what I think) then he IS not Worth a 7 Millions keeper and is in no way (if that is the case which I do not beleive) to be names a top 5 goalie.

RASK needs to be better and save the D core's ass a little bit more than what I've seen since the beginning of the season. I contender team needs a top goalie. (see the Pens in the past post season - with M-A F.)

PatriceBergeron

Apr 7, 2014
MA
If CJ system has work with depth and Rolling four lines, his system might need to adjust to our actual line up. If Soderberg is that good, why is he on the third line?

If we lack of a good RW on the first line.... why do we put a rookie or a guy who didn't play for 1 and a half year.

If we have problem scoring, why spread our good players?

If Chara is aging and Seidenberg having problem, others need to take advantage. If Miller, or Bart can't - is there somebody younger that can have a look in our backyard (don't know in Providence - just asking)

My thoughts.

You wait and be patience, give the guy's time. 20 games or so. That would still be my first option. Reducing the bench faster though in tough games. I still trust CJ and the Bruins Core event with my questionning. If it doesn't work and if no trades are interesting you might need to adjust: see belowe line up

or

Change your line up:

Lucic - DK - Bergy
Marchand-Soderberg-eriksson
LW-Kelly-Smith
Paille-Campbell-Spooner

Role 20+ the first line etc....

Claude would be fired if he ever moved Bergeron to Right Wing. Gagne or Smith should be there. Kelly Soderberg and Eriksson need to be together right now.

BRUINS since 1995

May 10, 2010
Au pays de la neige
Claude would be fired if he ever moved Bergeron to Right Wing. Gagne or Smith should be there. Kelly Soderberg and Eriksson need to be together right now.

----------
CJ will be fired if nothing works and if the Bruins don't win - whether or not he moves PB on the rw or not.

My thoughts were and still remain: give the guys (core) a chance to change things. Give Chiarelli time to figure out a move (Gagne might be the solution - well see on back to back - 4 game in 6 days)

But if nothing happens, and they are 5 W 15 L in 20 games - with no option....moving Bergeron or not... CJ might be anyway fired.

Where I disagree most with your post is that Bergeron is in no way more important than the Bruins. If moving Bergeron to the RW brings success, that move must be done! If Chara is no more a top 4 - Bruins need to manage so - and if Rask can't play MTL, put Sverberg! Bruins is what's important...not players ego!

BruinDust

Aug 2, 2005
I posted this line-up in another thread but I'll toss it in this discussion too. There is no Top 6 RW coming Boston's way via trade anytime soon. LD might be a bigger issue come deadline day but we'll see.

Anyways for now I'd like to see:

Lucic - Krejci - Smith
Marchand - Bergeron - Gagne
Kelly - Soderberg - Eriksson
Campbell - Spooner - Paille

Extra: Fraser

To Providence: Griffith

Chara - Hamilton
Krug - Seidenberg
Bartowski - McQuaid

Extra: Miller

Rask
Svedberg

northeastern

Apr 16, 2009
boston
The d isn't my concern the team did well last year workout mcquaid and sieds so although we'll miss jb it isn't impossible to win with this lineup.

We need a goal scorer, lucic to wake up, the rust on the d to fall off and marchy to stop trying to do too much. And a top 4 dman wouldn't hurt.

Baddkarma

El Guapo to most...
Feb 27, 2002
Midland TX
This is a good thread topic but I am more interested in what the Bruins do with regard to re-loading or rebuilding.

The Bruins have managed to be contenders for the last five years and in that time span have been very successful in that role. They have made trades and player acquisitions that were geared to that end. At this point the question is can this team re-load is it time to rebuild.

The problem imho lies with a guy who could do no wrong for the first five years or so in Boston and that of course is Chia. He traded guys and signed players that would build a powerful nucleus for an amazing five years. At this point this roster seems to have grown quite stale and the Brins have to ask can they afford to re-load or is it time for a rebuild?

Chia must admit his recent moves are nothing short of disastrous and have left this team with gaping holes mainly on the top six wings and middle pair D. I do not want to directly revisit the Seguin, Ferrence, and Boychuck deals but there is constant theme with them and that is the players the Bruins received in return fail to meet the needs of this team and organization which is amazing since Chia's rep is that of a cap genius and roster tweaker extrodonaire.

With the current cap situation, the fact that Bruins need to sign some more guys long term and in light of the current state of the team the Bruins should ride this out until November and see if this team has anything left. If it is as dead as it appears, then pray to God Chia won't screw up any more deals. I am not trying to be controversial here but his recent returns on his moves are no even debatable in terms of was the return good or not, they are borderline idiotic.

I doubt we will see much improvement. The Bruins as a group of players have endured five grueling years of regular season marathons and playoff wars. I think we are seeing the death throws of a roster and I truly have questions right now if Chia and his brain trust are the people to oversee what could possibly be the end of the line for any number of players like Chara, Lucic, Campbell, etc in Boston.

Last edited:

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002
my line after going to two of the three Boston and Providence games, bunch of practices, and exhibition games of both these teams

Lucic-Krejci-Smith

Gagne-Bergeron-Marchand

Kelly-Yeti-Loui

Paille-Campbell-Knight

Chara-Dougie
Bart-Seids
Krug-McQuaid

would get Joe Morrow up here in a couple of weeks- time to see what he has- kid may be the defensive version of Spooner to Claude but make no mistake he is all over the place and can really skate.....wish he shot right

BNHL

Dec 22, 2006
Boston
my line after going to two of the three Boston and Providence games, bunch of practices, and exhibition games of both these teams

Lucic-Krejci-Smith

Gagne-Bergeron-Marchand

Kelly-Yeti-Loui

Paille-Campbell-Knight

Chara-Dougie
Bart-Seids
Krug-McQuaid

would get Joe Morrow up here in a couple of weeks- time to see what he has- kid may be the defensive version of Spooner to Claude but make no mistake he is all over the place and can really skate.....wish he shot right

Sorry Dan,that's 2 line disruptions too early. I am beginning to dislike Kelly on the Soderberg line but that's too early too.

Trap Jesus

Feb 13, 2012
At least try Eriksson with Krejci and Lucic. I'm not a fan of the guy, but no one else on this team has the potential to be a top six RW alongside Smith. Griffith and Fraser brought absolutely nothing to the table, and while Gagne has actually looked pretty good, we're kidding ourselves if we think he can be a top-line option with a line that we rely very heavily on for offense. It's great that Eriksson looks OK with Soderberg, but it's much more important to get the top line going.

The defense is an issue as well. It's not just that mystery final top 4 spot that we need to pin down, it's the entire top 4. Chara has been kind of meh, and the other 3 (Seids, Hamilton and McQuaid) have simply been awful. I like what I've seen from Miller and Krug, but that's the bottom pairing. What I'd try to do is just shake it up a bit:

Chara-Miller
Seidenberg-Hamilton
Krug-McQuaid
Bartkowski

Obviously a big jump for Miller, but he's still looked good this year. Just try him out up there and have Chara babysit him. While I'm very concerned that Seids' troubles are due to his injury, Dougie has no excuses. Maybe a shift back with his old D partner will be good for him. McQuaid should never see top 4 minutes. He's a solid #6, and that's it.

Mr. Make-Believe

The happy genius of my household
I would add that the answer to the 2nd pairing dman is also not on the roster.

My opinion is basically the same as yours with one exception: I think filling either position (wing or dman) makes the team substantially stronger, but in no case is filling only one position enough. I believe that both positions must be filled or the team will not go far in the playoffs, and I don't believe it's assured the team as presently constituted can make the playoffs.

This is why I think the Boychuck trade was so ill-advised. The team already had the one hole and another one got created, needlessly in my opinion. And there was obviously no immediate plan to resolve that. I question whether there is much of a plan right now outside of the team has picks and some rooks that *may* look good enough come the trade deadline.

Just spit-balling here, but I wonder if moving Boychuck before the start of the season was calculated based on an equation that projected the Bruins being an even more weak and vulnerable team by the trade deadline? Chia has already said that he was struggling making deals he would have been satisfied with, due primarily I think because the other GMs knew he needed to make moves. Imagine the difficulty of moving someone like Boychuck at the trade deadline if the team was struggling and vulnerable. Chia would have been bent over a barrel and there probably wouldn't have been much he could do about it.

I agree completely that both holes need filling. I also think though, there are internal options for both. The question is, will those options be explored?

The timing of the Boychuk deal coincided with Snow's ambition to make a splash right before the season started. I believe that Chiarelli saw his chance to get good value for Boychuk at that time and likely wouldn't have been able to do so after. He even gave that offer back to the Oilers (who apparently really wanted him and I assume Boychuk back) and they shook their heads.

If McQuaid is the only guy given a real chance to skate in that top four role and if Smith isn't explored as an option for the top line, then I'm really scared as to what this season is going to look like. I don't think that we'll like the deal/s that bring us what is needed.

PatriceBergeron

Apr 7, 2014
MA
----------
CJ will be fired if nothing works and if the Bruins don't win - whether or not he moves PB on the rw or not.

My thoughts were and still remain: give the guys (core) a chance to change things. Give Chiarelli time to figure out a move (Gagne might be the solution - well see on back to back - 4 game in 6 days)

But if nothing happens, and they are 5 W 15 L in 20 games - with no option....moving Bergeron or not... CJ might be anyway fired.

Where I disagree most with your post is that Bergeron is in no way more important than the Bruins. If moving Bergeron to the RW brings success, that move must be done! If Chara is no more a top 4 - Bruins need to manage so - and if Rask can't play MTL, put Sverberg! Bruins is what's important...not players ego!

It's not about ego. Bergeron is the best faceoff man and positionally/defensively the best Center in the game. Center is the most important forward position. Changing up the wings if they continue to struggle is fine, but moving Bergeron to wing is not the answer.

MOOKER411

Nov 13, 2009
KERROBERT, SASK
Lucic-Krejci-Gagne
Marchand-Bergeron-Smith
Kelly- Soderberg-Eriksson
Paille- Spooner -Campbell

Give Spooner some vets to work with. Gives you an option for him to plan center and wing as he gets accustomed to the NHL

You don't trade away young cheap talent.

I agree with this. We also just need some time to get into it. Players coming back from injuries and also new players that need time to adjust. If in 10 games we still feel we need an upgrade then go for it, but for now, calm down and concentrate on playing and we will be fine.

Mr. Make-Believe

The happy genius of my household

Lucic-Krejci-Smith

Gagne-Bergeron-Marchand

Kelly-Yeti-Loui

Paille-Campbell-Knight

Chara-Dougie
Bart-Seids
Krug-McQuaid

I made this thread in an effort to cut through some of the falling sky BS. If the team is as bad as some claim, then certainly one would suggest a change to the core makeup of the roster. If it isn't, then stop saying it is. And if we can all agree that there are only two holes to fill, then it would stand to reason that we're not in bad shape at all.

Your lineup doesn't have Kevan Miller on it, but that's the only thing I question. To me it's become VERY clear that we need to give Reilly Smith a shot on Krejci's right. If he fails (and no one wants to move Eriksson away from Soderberg), then that's where we go shopping. But NOT before.

What your lineup is showing me, is that this team could be the one we want without ANY moves. And the only thing we really have to worry about, is whether or not Julien will give this team its best chance to succeed.

since76

Jul 14, 2005
Quebec
This is too good to miss the playoffs and the conference so weak, if they miss it gm and coach have to be fired
But contender ?
No sorry not anymore
Miss 2-3 real good players, at wings and at defense
The worst weakness is our coach who is not able to make adjustment in a 7 games serie, so the other coah make adjustments with bruins system and clode do nothing , so more the serie go more bruins are weak
Impossible to beat habs, rask , clode , lucic ,marchand biggest problems against habs
How a team can proudly pretent to be serious contender when they need tp pray habs not on road ? It is a shame nothing else
So
Cup final yes may be if they dont face habs and crosby is hurt
Everybody who dont see chara and seidenberg lost big step are fools and they are the 2 best defenses we have
Cup ? Never , bruins are more and more far , window is close
Seguin trade was the turning point who stopped bruins super developpment and began the walk down
Chia can make moves to fix holes ?
May be but how can he do wiith salary cap ? Deadline ? Look what he done last years
And chia is very bad gm for transactions, Very bad, it is better that he do nothing
So like all medium team we dont control our destiny , we need chance and a lot of prayers, we all know habs in playoffs mean end....and we all know our coach have zero answer and zero plans for them

Blowfish

Count down ...
Jan 13, 2005
Southwestern Ontario
I'm hearing it more and more from outside observers we're slow..They're right. What gives this team an edge now is our faceoff wins. Thank God!

I would like to see the bruins insert speed. Give the likes of Paille, Spoons, Knight, Pasta, Bart, Morrow, the opportunity and time to succeed (mistakes will take place we're seeing that from our proven vets too!)

Somethithing like this...

Paille - Krej - Smith
Spoon - Berg - March

Be interesting to see Krej and Berg play with some speed.

insert Bart, Marrow and remove any of sieds, Mac, and Miller

Too bad it wasn't Sieds that was traded versus Boychuk. Chia does have top picks to trade from Boychuk trade etc...just hope we find speed and scoring.

since76

Jul 14, 2005
Quebec
I'm hearing it more and more from outside observers we're slow..They're right. What gives this team an edge now is our faceoff wins. Thank God!

I would like to see the bruins insert speed. Give the likes of Paille, Spoons, Knight, Pasta, Bart, Morrow, the opportunity and time to succeed (mistakes will take place we're seeing that from our proven vets too!)

Somethithing like this...

Paille - Krej - Smith
Spoon - Berg - March

Be interesting to see Krej and Berg play with some speed.

insert Bart, Marrow and remove any of sieds, Mac, and Miller

Too bad it wasn't Sieds that was traded versus Boychuk. Chia does have top picks to trade from Boychuk trade etc...just hope we find speed and scoring.

I have read more than 20 seasons analyses from everywhere and all them say clearly bruins are slow , older and lost step, they all place bruins in same level than 3-4 others teams in conference as good chance to win it, but bruins are not at all clear favorite and very fragile against speed

What The Puck

Future GM
Feb 12, 2014
Northeast
Lucic-Krejci-Gagne
Smith-Bergeron-Marchand
Kelly-Soderberg-TradeLoui
Paille-Campbell-Griffith

Chara-Hamilton
Miller-Seids
Krug-McQuaid

My lineup.

qc

Aug 23, 2011
Whines daily about Loui's lack of a top 6 skill-set
Pencils Gagne into the 1st line

Bruins Stooge

Spread Out
Aug 12, 2008
Hartford County CT
I'm just not comfortable in saying that Gagne is the 1st line/1a/1b (whatever you want to call it) rw. I also don't think that solution is currently on this team or in the organization for this year. Back to Gagne, he hasn't played in a year and it's not to say he's useless I just think we're asking a lot out of him to take a year off and then step in as top line talent. He's a good plug there now and I think the best fit but there is no question that Chiarelli at some point in the next few months needs to find a consistent top line RW-er.

What I'd love to see towards the end of year barring any injuries is something like this below (if Smith or Eriksson can play LW).

Lucic Krejci Player Acquired
Marchand Bergeron Gagne
Smith/Eriksson Yeti Smith/Eriksson
Paille Campbell Kelly
Providence player as #13

I think that would fit the mold of what the better Bruins teams have been able to roll with. The question is with that "player acquired" spot, there would probably need to be some cap sent out to fit that and that team would probably want a roster player.

A scoring player I like is Eberle. He doesn't fit that typical RW power forward that has usually filled that spot with Lucic and Krejci, but then I think back to a line of Lucic Savard Kessel and how awesome it was to watch them (Lucic opening up space, Savard dishing, Kessel with a true scoring touch). But that said I'm not sure what Edmonton would really want for a player of his caliber, it certainly would require some current subtraction with his cap hit.

BRUINS since 1995

May 10, 2010
Au pays de la neige
It's not about ego. Bergeron is the best faceoff man and positionally/defensively the best Center in the game. Center is the most important forward position. Changing up the wings if they continue to struggle is fine, but moving Bergeron to wing is not the answer.

-------------
Again, my thoughts are - let the Bruins core player a chance to get out of their misery. Let Bruins management evaluate and figure out a solution.

But if nothing is possible to be done, then I would packed one line, upgrade Soderberg role and roll a bottom 6.

As for faceoff, Bergeron will still be managing taken them - and depending on the game- adjustments could be done.

That said, I know how good Bergeron is at center, but if the context wouldn't change, adjustment will be needed and if there is no outside option, two choice: starting to be seller or try putting your best players together to fire it up.

Finally, my main concern still remains on the D core (like last year). I have though no clue to figure out a solution with the actual roster. I am waiting to see how Seidenberg will come back and McQuaid will adjust (if he stays healthy).

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad