Where are all the guys who blamed last season on DD?

RipsADrive

Sep 16, 2008
Edmonton
I'm more curious where the "Wreck-it-Ralph" crew went.

The board has really changed it's tune on how Kruger's time here was perceived.

Oiltankjob Fail

Feb 10, 2013
I was all over Dubie last year but Eakins more so from the 1st game of the season and benching Yak when we were up 4-2 against the Jets . He was cocky and arrogant in his 1st game thought wins would be easy and he could spank players early. ****ed up Yaks season and was all down hill from that moment.

Vagabond

Dec 24, 2004
Edmonton
I'm one of those people! I didn't say it was only Dubs fault that the team sucked balls. He was a major factor tho. Let's face it, he was atrocious last season. Bad enough to be written off by three teams in one season. That being said, This team has a tumor and that tumor lies within Lowe and spreading through all his buddies which is now making the players ill.

harpoon

Dec 23, 2005
Try reading more than the OP's title.
Oh I read the whole post. Two minutes I'll never get back.
If you are going to start a new thread, its common sense to put the most important point in the thread title.
Its clear to me that the OP thinks Dubnyk was unfairly victimized. That may be secondary to his main point, but since he brought that thought up (in the title no less), I'm going to go ahead and disagree with it.
But hey, not everyone has the attention span to get past the first paragraph, and that's ok :)
Nice try pal. ;)

Billy Barou

Mar 4, 2011
I never blamed last season on DD. I did blame the first few winnable games on goaltending. DD never looked comfortable last year.

I defended the Eakins hiring because I thought MacT knew what he was doing. What I didn't realize was this was his bold move.

We were weak on D and C to start last year and MacT didn't address it. He did help out the D this year with Fayne but again failed to address the glaring C issue. All the positives moves he's made have been torpedoed by failing to get a reasonable NHL player for C. Couple this with his inability to recognize the complete lack of skill demonstrated by Eakins and I blame this on MacT.

A rookie GM hiring a rookie coach.

I don't know where we go from here. The saddest part is that Lowe will never be fired. This is the lowest I've felt as an Oiler fan.

Ritchie Valens

Sep 24, 2007
I never did like Dubnyk as a #1 starter and think he's a decent back up on the right team, like Arizona. I'm still not sold he's been "fixed" long term in Arizona either though. It's not like he was dealt straight to Arizona from Edmonton and turned awesome in two days. Even the goalie coach in Nashville (Mitch Korn), who is a supposed miracle worker, couldn't fix him. He got lit up in Nashville as well (look at their D squad) and to the point where Trotz said there are too many flaws in his game which needed to be corrected before starting any more games. Then he got dealt to Montreal a week or two later and was in the AHL where he got lit up down there.

Maybe Sean Burke did fix him, but I'll reserve judgement until the end of the season and not 20 games in. For all we know Scrivens or Fasth could have the same record if they were in Dubnyk's shoes and had Sean Burke as their goalie coach. Look how he turned Mike Smith around.

The only thing we can all agree on is Chabot has ruined every Oilers goalie since 2009. We all see the same issues Dubnyk had in Scrivens and Fasth: they play too deep in the crease and drop down to the butterfly way to early. Hopefully Chabot and Eakins can split cab money on the way out of town tomorrow or monday.

oobga

Tier 2 Fan
Aug 1, 2003
I'm more curious where the "Wreck-it-Ralph" crew went.

The board has really changed it's tune on how Kruger's time here was perceived.

Many thought the team was actually poised to turn things around in 12-13, that was only after 2 years of the "rebuild" and we were still buying the hope Lowe and friends were selling. And no one could understand the impact of only playing the West until Eakins showed us how different the East and West really are (still only 11 regulation wins in 61 games vs the West under Eakins). Kruger didn't get a fair shake from anyone, including the Oilers org. He's doing just fine though with life after Oilers, probably 1000 times better than if he stayed here to coach this broken poorly managed team.

McRpro

Cont. without supporting.
Aug 18, 2006
Clown World
I saw Dubnyk let in unscreened floaters from the ****ing blueline last year. Ya, those goals were his fault!

oilinblood

Aug 8, 2009
Dubnyk was terrible last season and worth axing most definitely. However, the team in front of him was god awful as well. I'm not sure anyone was saying that goaltending was the only problem

This. DD is not a starter. Three other NHL teams and counting have confirmed this.

I cant recall ever hearing anyone from this board state DD was the only problem last year. Pretty much the only thing we had at the start of last year for talent was a back up in DD, petry, schultz and ference, gordon, perron and hemsky plus the three top picks. Everything after that was garbage. And you can add hemsky to the garbage pile in my opinion (to join gagner and company)

Lets get a bit existential here...are you really going to consume this product and waste time from the gift which is called your life on this? I think its plain to see that people are wasting their lives following this team. Why? Its edmonton.

Last edited:

GDU

Dec 19, 2008
On HNIC, they brought up bringing in Peter Budaj...yikes.

or as i like to call him, the slovakian dubnyk...

DD is an average goalie who played in front of a horrid hockey team...

Scrivens and Fasth are average goalies playing in front of a horrid hockey team...

average goalies get sunk by bad Defenses, top shelf goalies keep their clubs competitive regardless of the rest of the team (see cujo when he played here, quick before LA got really good, and Henrick L.)

DD looks great in a small sample size in Zona, he will regress a bit but sadly the yotes are a big improvement over the oilers

Jumptheshark

Rebooting myself
Oct 12, 2003
Somewhere on Uranus
or as i like to call him, the slovakian dubnyk...

DD is an average goalie who played in front of a horrid hockey team...

Scrivens and Fasth are average goalies playing in front of a horrid hockey team...

average goalies get sunk by bad Defenses, top shelf goalies keep their clubs competitive regardless of the rest of the team (see cujo when he played here, quick before LA got really good, and Henrick L.)

DD looks great in a small sample size in Zona, he will regress a bit but sadly the yotes are a big improvement over the oilers

DD is like Riemer in Toronto---- he is not a good goalie. If the oilers had Yandle or OEL in front their goalies the stats would look better. DD is a back up who should never have been a number one. DD stats in nashville and in montreal were pretty bad as well

thadd

Oil4Life
Jun 9, 2007
Canada
On Dubby: I thought we had an NHL starter that could play 50 games a year. I wanted a goalie change early into the season because he wasn't doing anything right. I was complaining that he was totally lacking in confidence. After a few weeks I was making horrible jokes about him. He's playing well now. Why? Confidence. Our coaching staff has instilled no confidence in our team.

On Eakins: I was very skeptical when he came in. I had no problems with Kruger because at the end of the year we were higher up in the standings. There were tons of naysayers that said it didn't count because it was a shortened season, but we still finished higher with him since before we'd gone for 3 straight 1st overall picks.

McHockeyfan90

Feb 29, 2012
Canada
Dubnyk was worse than Scrivens who is at best a backup and that says alot. But even if we had a number one goalie, our putrid defense would make him look like crap so the blame is not just on the goalies, but the whole team.

McHockeyfan90

Feb 29, 2012
Canada
I saw Dubnyk let in unscreened floaters from the ****ing blueline last year. Ya, those goals were his fault!

I counted many times last year where he couldn't stop a weak shot or a puck thrown towards him from the blueline. That is really bad for such a huge goalie.

XX

Waiting for Ishbia
Dec 10, 2002
PHX
Dubnyk is 5-0-1 in Arizona. .926% 2.34 GAA on a team that isn't much better than the Oilers. Looks every bit a starter. Night and day difference between him and Mike Smith.

I would have to say it looks like the Oilers are giving up too many quality chances against, so no goalie will look good. You guys also said Gagner was a floater and bad in his own zone, but that hasn't been the case at all. I would really look to a coaching change before blaming anyone or making trades.

AJGass4

Aug 19, 2011
Dubnyk was terrible last year. Cost us many a game.

As for Sievens, he flops around and is on his knees just as Duby was last season. Me thinks it has some to do with our goaltending coach.

He's as bad as you can get.

BoldNewLettuce

Esquire
Dec 21, 2008
Canada
I was never a huge fan of Dub but I don't remember blaming him much.

I thought it was pretty clear we needed a 1D then, and still do. The system was and is crap. I don't remember hating on Krueger's system but I know a lot of people hated it

Beerfish

Apr 14, 2007
5-0-1 Stops 40 shots last night, stops all three shoot out attempts, .926 sv pct on the team. lol

Then we have gagner who has now caught up to purcell in pts while purcell has a close to a leauge worst -12.

Tobia Rieder.... +6

shoop

Jul 6, 2008
Edmonton
Dubnyk was terrible last season and worth axing most definitely. However, the team in front of him was god awful as well. I'm not sure anyone was saying that goaltending was the only problem

The difference between Dubnyk and Scrivens is a matter of perception.

Doobie let in soft goals. On most of those softies it seemed like he wasn't paying close enough attention. Bad coaching. Motivate the guy already.

Scrivens lets in really, really bad goals. Goals that make you say wtf? "How did he not see the play developing the way it did?"

Srivens' mistakes are either poor coaching, again, or just a guy who has lost all of his confidence. Unfortunately, I think it's the latter.

At least they only gave him a two year deal.

McDrailers

Apr 13, 2013
Newfoundland
Right here. I didn't BLAME the season on DD as its hard to pick one tank general when theyre all working like tank soldiers. However to come back now and say DD is a good goaltender is just wrong. This thread is the EXACT reason Bryzgalov doesn't have to work again in his life.

Tippet's system is the reason DD is doing good down their in Phoneix (Screw Arizona that sounds silly). For whatever reason it's not helping Mike Smith this year and we are finally seeing that he either is not a decent goaltender. (We all knew). Like someone else said, it was surprising that DD got traded to Nashville and played like hot garbage. I then with my own two eyes watched him in St.John's in the AHL get lit up like he didn't belong. So you can't say oh Eakins system is to blame. No, when you're letting in shots from the blueline and out. It's on your goalie. MAYBE Scrivens and Fasth would save those but these days I'm doubtfull.

Point being this thread is very silly and DD is not a "fixed" goalie. He's merely another illusion put ahead by the coyotes system. Brian Boucher/Chad Johnson/Thomas Griess/Ilyz Spaceman anyone?

oilers_guy_eddie

Playoffs? PLAYOFFS!?
Feb 27, 2002
This is Oil Country!
Visit site
Me thinks it has some to do with our goaltending coach.

He's as bad as you can get.

Fredric Chabot has been our goaltending coach since 2009. He was Dubnyk's goaltending coach when Dubnyk was putting up .914, .916, .920 numbers.

I guess that like everybody else in the organization, Fredric Chabot just got a lot worse at his job once Dallas Eakins arrived in town. :shakehead

Parch

Jul 31, 2005
That management trick has to run out of steam eventually. They can't keep throwing goaltenders under the bus.

oilers_guy_eddie

Playoffs? PLAYOFFS!?
Feb 27, 2002
This is Oil Country!
Visit site
Tippet's system is the reason DD is doing good down their in Phoneix

(...)

Point being this thread is very silly and DD is not a "fixed" goalie. He's merely another illusion put ahead by the coyotes system. Brian Boucher/Chad Johnson/Thomas Griess/Ilyz Spaceman anyone?

Holy crapsnacks.

People keep saying "ya well Dubnyk only put up good stats when Krueger was the coach because of Krueger's system" and now we're saying "ya well Dubnyk is only putting up good stats in Phoenix because of Dave Tippett's system."

Guys. Almost every team in the NHL plays a "system" that reduces the quality of opponents' scoring chances. The teams that don't, have goaltending stats similar to the Oilers and are down near the Oilers in the standings.

If you are going to tell me that any AHL goalie could put up numbers like Dubnyk if he was playing behind Ralph Krueger's defensive system or Dave Tippett's defensive system, then lets get an AHL goalie and let's put that defensive system in place RIGHT NOW.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino
    Wagers: 5
    Staked: $2,752.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Metz vs Lille
    Metz vs Lille
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $354.00