Where are all the guys who blamed last season on DD?

Oi'll say!

Read this now!
Nov 18, 2002
Oil in 9
Visit site
Sooo many people here were all over DD last season, and defended Eakins vs Krueger at every turn. Then posters here were totally convinced the team had turned the corner with MacTs new goalie recruits despite how they played the twenty last games of last season. I'm even pissed that Taylor Hall ran his mouth about the goaltending when Scrivens had a brief stint of unsustainable goaltending.

I think that it's time for everyone who was saying MacTs changes were positive to come clean. MacT's changes are an unmitigated disaster.

What's worse is we have to sit here and listen to Nick Kypreos look like the smartest man in television "you can't let this team go through another 60 games of this, it's bad for the development of the young kids..." He's 80 games late with that assessment but no one else is saying it in msm.

Huge I told to so. Yeah I just did that. I'm so fed up with this experiment that has been going so blatantly in the wrong direction for so long with so many people backing it up. It's like this was all a huge experiment in mind control by aliens. "Let's see how long these earthlings can go on convincing themselves of something that has absolutely no supporting evidence whatsoever." Are they winning the all-important corsi battle tonight? Lol. The sample size for the Oilers close corsi is too small to consider because their games just aren't close.

nhlfan9191

Aug 4, 2010
Sooo many people here were all over DD last season, and defended Eakins vs Krueger at every turn. Then posters here were totally convinced the team had turned the corner with MacTs new goalie recruits despite how they played the twenty last games of last season. I'm even pissed that Taylor Hall ran his mouth about the goaltending when Scrivens had a brief stint of unsustainable goaltending.

I think that it's time for everyone who was saying MacTs changes were positive to come clean. MacT's changes are an unmitigated disaster.

What's worse is we have to sit here and listen to Nick Kypreos look like the smartest man in television "you can't let this team go through another 60 games of this, it's bad for the development of the young kids..." He's 80 games late with that assessment but no one else is saying it in msm.

Huge I told to so. Yeah I just did that. I'm so fed up with this experiment that has been going so blatantly in the wrong direction for so long with so many people backing it up. It's like this was all a huge experiment in mind control by aliens. "Let's see how long these earthlings can go on convincing themselves of something that has absolutely no supporting evidence whatsoever." Are they winning the all-important corsi battle tonight? Lol. The sample size for the Oilers close corsi is too small to consider because their games just aren't close.

I said your goaltending still sucked in the summer. Nobody would listen. Did people really think these two guys were an answer or was it just desperate thinking?

Oi'll say!

Read this now!
Nov 18, 2002
Oil in 9
Visit site
I said your goaltending still sucked in the summer. Nobody would listen. Did people really think these two guys were an answer or was it just desperate thinking?
I think a lot of people just chose to believe everything MacT said and did without question, and that people are extremely good at seeing what they want to see.

FWIW I wouldn't even go so far as to say that the goalies we have suck, I just don't think anyone could walk onto this team and look good playing behind these bozos.

harpoon

Dec 23, 2005
Sooo many people here were all over DD last season, and defended Eakins vs Krueger at every turn.
There is no correlation between those two positions. Attempting to create one is both revisionist and disingenuous.

Dubnyk was awful in Edmonton. For several years. He single handedly cost the team double digit points/season. I'll be the most shocked person on the board if he salvages his career in Arizona.

But all of that has nothing to do with "defending Eakins and Krueger". This team can't pick a goalie. Are you suggesting Dubnyk has somehow been vindicated because Scrivens and Fasth turned out to be almost as bad as Dubnyk was? Cause that would be nuts.

aki

Apr 7, 2003
Visit site
DD sucked and these guys do too. And the defense still does too. And the "system". What am I missing?

ManofSteel55

Aug 15, 2013
Sylvan Lake, Alberta

I don't think many were happy with Eakins vs Krueger, a lot were angry about Krueger being let go. A lot were HOPING Eakins was the guy we've been waiting for. He obviously isn't.

As per your headline, Dubnyk WAS a huge problem last year. Letting wristers from the blueline with no screen in once a week is a problem. A lot of people were overly optimistic because Scrivens played hot when he got here. He obviously isn't the fix either, as many did predict. Dubnyk isn't off the hook just because we suck again.

McShogun99

Aug 30, 2009
Edmonton
Despite DD's .920 SP he was still pretty bad. Kruger's system allowed for a lot of weak perimeter shots which padded his stats. You never seen him make a huge save and he always let in those momentum, team draining goals.

harpoon

Dec 23, 2005
DD sucked and these guys do too. And the defense still does too. And the "system". What am I missing?
No doubt. I've read the OP three times and still have no idea what the point is.

Tarus

Jun 22, 2006
Edmonton
There is no correlation between those two positions. Attempting to create one is both revisionist and disingenuous.

Dubnyk was awful in Edmonton. For several years. He single handedly cost the team double digit points/season. I'll be the most shocked person on the board if he salvages his career in Arizona.

But all of that has nothing to do with "defending Eakins and Krueger". This team can't pick a goalie. Are you suggesting Dubnyk has somehow been vindicated because Scrivens and Fasth turned out to be almost as bad as Dubnyk was? Cause that would be nuts.

The position taken around here and in the MSM was that Eakins was ok as a coach, but Dubnyk was primarily at fault for the terrible start last year along with the overall failure of the season.

As we've seen so far this year, that position is clearly false.

It's not a debate about whether or not Dubnyk sucks either, it's about the blame Dubnyk took for collapse of last season.

harpoon

Dec 23, 2005
The position taken around here and in the MSM was that Eakins was ok as a coach, but Dubnyk was primarily at fault
Well I don't know that that is the case. I was one of the first posters on this board to write Dubnyk off. But I never for a second believed that Eakins was the answer to anything. Dubnyk was just flat out terrible. He let in so many non-NHL goals that people stopped being surprised when it happened.

Now MacT, that's a different story. I was among the posters saying that MacT was doing a decent job. So maybe I got fooled there. My bad. But I still don't see why anyone would create a thread basically stating that Dubnyk has been vindicated - and somehow tie that to Eakins lousy performance.

Tarus

Jun 22, 2006
Edmonton
Well I don't know that that is the case. I was one of the first posters on this board to write Dubnyk off. But I never for a second believed that Eakins was the answer to anything. Dubnyk was just flat out terrible. He let in so many non-NHL goals that people stopped being surprised when it happened.

Now MacT, that's a different story. I was among the posters saying that MacT was doing a decent job. So maybe I got fooled there. My bad. But I still don't see why anyone would create a thread basically stating that Dubnyk has been vindicated - and somehow tie that to Eakins lousy performance.

There is nothing about Dubnyk being vindicated in the op's post.

Just that the scapegoating of goaltending last year was an excuse to play pretend with regards to the level of performance of the GM and Coach in their respective roles.

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
Dubnyk was terrible last season and worth axing most definitely. However, the team in front of him was god awful as well. I'm not sure anyone was saying that goaltending was the only problem

harpoon

Dec 23, 2005
There is nothing about Dubnyk being vindicated in the op's post.
The implication is that criticism of Dubnyk was unfounded. As laughable as that sounds.

Just that the scapegoating of goaltending last year was an excuse to play pretend with regards to the level of performance of the GM and Coach in their respective roles.
Is that what you saw happening on the board last season? Cause it isn't what I saw. Plenty of people hated Eakins and his lame systems last season. Plenty were suspicious of MacT. And the board was overwhelmingly against Lowe. Most of the board hated Gagner ("addition by subtraction"). Everyone knew the defense wasn't good enough.

Pretending that the whole community was hanging everything on Dubnyk is just not an accurate representation of the facts.

Tarus

Jun 22, 2006
Edmonton
The implication is that criticism of Dubnyk was unfounded. As laughable as that sounds.

It doesn't imply that at all, it's quite clearly stating that the goaltending was a scapegoat to avoid the reality that Mactavish has been horrible at his job.

Is that what you saw happening on the board last season? Cause it isn't what I saw. Plenty of people hated Eakins and his lame systems last season. Plenty were suspicious of MacT. And the board was overwhelmingly against Lowe. Most of the board hated Gagner ("addition by subtraction"). Everyone knew the defense wasn't good enough.

Pretending that the whole community was hanging everything on Dubnyk is just not an accurate representation of the facts.

You must have missed it then

Common excuse since Dubnyk was traded last year "Dubnyk single-handedly cost the Oilers many wins that would have put the Oilers at .500 over the first 2 months of the season last year". I got into many arguments about it with fans who were parroting that nonsense.

A year later, Dubnyk is loooong gone, a new tandem is being bent over on a nightly basis behind the terrible defense that is playing a terrible system, and Mact's attempts to improve the team once again fall into the range of "laughable".

Jimmi McJenkins

Sometimes miracles
Jan 12, 2006
Alberta
Dubnyk was horrendous last season and deserves ALL blame he gets. It doesn't mean there weren't/aren't other flaws, he's just more then deserving of his share of that blame. That guy was utter garbage last year.

Playa Hejda

Oct 9, 2013
#yeg
Where are the people who blamed Dubnyk? They're in a skybox at Rexall figuring out who to blame this year. Eakins? Perron? Schultz? Spin the wheel of meat shields a find out next press conference (a Lowe/Tavish production)!

oobga

Tier 2 Fan
Aug 1, 2003
I for one was 100% blaming Eakins and his stupid system last year, in addition to MacT setting Dubs up for failure with all his stupid comments in the 2013 off-season, but I didn't know how deep the poison in the org has really gone until this year. No goalie can survive the toxic culture of this team, the awful player mix and the terrible system we play.

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC
The position taken around here and in the MSM was that Eakins was ok as a coach, but Dubnyk was primarily at fault for the terrible start last year along with the overall failure of the season.

As we've seen so far this year, that position is clearly false.

It's not a debate about whether or not Dubnyk sucks either, it's about the blame Dubnyk took for collapse of last season.

You must not have been around much because just about everybody around here hated Eakins from the beginning and even moreso after the slow start last season.
Dubnyk got a lot of blame, but the "swarm" jokes were out in full force within the 5 game mark of last season. Not sure where you got the idea that most around here thought that Eakins was ok last season.

The problem is those who thought that the Scrivens/Fasth tandem was any sort of solution. I never trusted that tandem, listed it as a question mark going into the season. I didn't think that they would be THIS bad but never saw either as a potential #1.

In any event, the problems with this organization lie much MUCH deeper than just coaching and goaltending.

harpoon

Dec 23, 2005
You must not have been around much because just about everybody around here hated Eakins from the beginning and even moreso after the slow start last season.
Exactly. Thank you for saying so.
I'm on this board five days a week and I never saw anyone "scapegoating Dubnyk" while polishing that Eakins turd. Nobody.
It doesn't imply that at all.
I guess you don't know what implication means. That's OK. :)

Insta

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 23, 2005
Edmonton
Dubnyk had his confidence sewered by this toxic organization. I said all along that Dubnyk wasn't the big problem with this team despite people screaming about him every game. Surprise, surprise, he's gone and nothing has changed. Now he's playing very well in Phoenix.

Tarus

Jun 22, 2006
Edmonton
I guess you don't know what implication means. That's OK. :)

Try reading more than the OP's title.

It's a post trashing Mactavish/Eakins, not propping up Dubnyk. Hell, I'll even give you to the key line in the post -

But hey, not everyone has the attention span to get past the first paragraph, and that's ok :)

Ad

Upcoming events

• Rennes vs Brest
    Rennes vs Brest
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $61.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Mainz vs FC Köln
    Mainz vs FC Köln
    Wagers: 4
    Staked: $380.00