Where are all the guys who blamed last season on DD?

ManofSteel55

Aug 15, 2013
Sylvan Lake, Alberta
Dubnyk is 5-0-1 in Arizona. .926% 2.34 GAA on a team that isn't much better than the Oilers. Looks every bit a starter. Night and day difference between him and Mike Smith.

I would have to say it looks like the Oilers are giving up too many quality chances against, so no goalie will look good. You guys also said Gagner was a floater and bad in his own zone, but that hasn't been the case at all. I would really look to a coaching change before blaming anyone or making trades.

Phoenix has always made goalies look great. But yes, its our "system" and craptastic defensemen that are the biggest problem.

McDrailers

Apr 13, 2013
Newfoundland
Holy crapsnacks.

People keep saying "ya well Dubnyk only put up good stats when Krueger was the coach because of Krueger's system" and now we're saying "ya well Dubnyk is only putting up good stats in Phoenix because of Dave Tippett's system."

Guys. Almost every team in the NHL plays a "system" that reduces the quality of opponents' scoring chances. The teams that don't, have goaltending stats similar to the Oilers and are down near the Oilers in the standings.

So what's your arguement for how craptacular Dubnyk played in Nashville/Mtl/Hamilton? All of a sudden he becomes an acceptable NHL goalie in a place that is VERY well known for making goaltenders look better then they are.

Patch101

Feb 27, 2002
Kamloops
I wasn't for or against it, but DD was really bad last season. Constantly getting beat up high on clear shots.
Weather it was a confidence issue or a development or coaching issue I can't say.

Two things are clear. MacT didn't like him , and that Tortz thought he had learned some bad habits.

It would of better to have DD paired with Scrivens to start the year imo

booyakasha

Oct 11, 2007
Edmonton, AB
Where are all the guys?...Im still here, and DD still sucks, and did truly suck!
I said it for years, that I thought the dude had narcolepsy...frequently fell asleep at the wheel.

oilers_guy_eddie

Playoffs? PLAYOFFS!?
Feb 27, 2002
This is Oil Country!
Visit site
So what's your arguement for how craptacular Dubnyk played in Nashville/Mtl/Hamilton? All of a sudden he becomes an acceptable NHL goalie in a place that is VERY well known for making goaltenders look better then they are.

My explanation is that by the time he left here his confidence was destroyed.

What's your explanation for how he put up good stats while Tom Renney was coach and put up great stats during Krueger's season as coach (#10 s% in the league that season)?

I'm not saying Dubnyk is great. He obviously has issues with consistency and focus and mental toughness. What I am saying is, he produced good stats prior to Eakins coming to town. He's producing good stats again.

And if the answer to how he produced good numbers under other coaches is "well it's all fake, it's just a result of playing under a defensive system" then you have to remember that every successful team in the league plays a defensive system of some type.

The difference between .920 and .895 is 1 goal every 40 shots, close to a goal per game. It's the difference between a middle of the pack GAA and last in the league.

If a mediocre coach like Ralph Krueger can implement a system that gets a mediocre goalie like Devan Dubnyk a .920 save percentage, why aren't we doing it? Why don't we find a mediocre coach who can put in a system that can provide Scrivens and Fasth some protection? Throwing more goalies into this grinder is just stupid. It doesn't address the root cause.

Magnum23

Aug 24, 2012
DD is still brutal. I will change my POV if mike smith gets hurt and he can carry Arizona pass the 1st round of playoffs.

Towmater14

Sep 17, 2005
OIL COUNTRY
Right here as well. Not sure the point of this thread, but DD was fricken horrible here and single handedly did cost us many games.

oobga

Tier 2 Fan
Aug 1, 2003

He had good stats as an Oiler before Eakins though.

For sure he was bad still after he left us last year, but his confidence was in shambles after going through what happened with the Oilers. Lots of forwards and dmen go through bad periods too after they're traded, especially if they struggled all season before being traded, fortunately they don't have to be the last guy the puck is getting past on highlights. It took him an off-season to get back to where he was before the 13-14 season playing the most mentally demanding position in hockey, big deal.

One season doesn't make a player (especially one where his GM set him up for failure from the start and his team played the stupidest system the NHL might ever see). That is unless all you are trying to do is build up a narrative that he's terrible and that's all you have to go by.

I wonder how our current goalies already bad stats would look if MacT said last off-season that neither of them could be #1's and he wants to replace them ASAP (but then does nothing except talk about all the attempts he made to try to replace them that didn't work out), and then we played the same Eakins version 1 swarm infront of them. Probably sub .800 sav % from both.

Last edited:

NAF

Beauty Fakes
Sep 30, 2010
5-0-1 Stops 40 shots last night, stops all three shoot out attempts, .926 sv pct on the team. lol

I am loving this development so much. After getting ganged up on here every time I tried to defend the big guy last year, man, nothing about this sport makes me happier at the moment than seeing the kid thrive on a real ****ing hockey team.

XX

Waiting for Ishbia
Dec 10, 2002
PHX
I am loving this development so much. After getting ganged up on here every time I tried to defend the big guy last year, man, nothing about this sport makes me happier at the moment than seeing the kid thrive on a real ****ing hockey team.

He is likely the starter now after recent comments by Tippett. Smith had another bad game tonight.

Gambl0r83*

I still have the exact same outlook I had last season at this time. DD was pretty much the sole reason we went 1-8-1 in games 11-20. The goals that were being scored against were unbelievable. And now, Scrivens is showing the exact same habits.
Now I know for sure it has a lot to do with the goalie coach. His track record is terrible, hired in 2009 and never developed a decent backstopper. Nonetheless though, Dubnyk was behind the net and the goals every night he was letting in was absolutely ridiculous. I will never forget what he did to our team last year

Ad

Upcoming events

• Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino
    Wagers: 5
    Staked: $2,752.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Metz vs Lille
    Metz vs Lille
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $354.00