Where’s Dahlin Fahlin?

SaltySkywalker

Bushes of Love
Jul 15, 2016
Tatooine
Never really made a thread before so feel free to put this somewhere else’s if it is not worthy of a thread, but I thought it’d be interesting to see which teams you would be content with Dahlin falling too (given we’re not in the race). Obviously, some teams would be devastating to see land him.

I wouldn’t mind seeing:
  • Buffalo (out east)
  • Arizona (feel bad they missed out on Matthews and don’t really think are much of a threat)
  • Carolina (maybe? They’re stacked on D but I have an affinity for that team)
Would absolutely HATE to see:
  • Detroit (for obvious reasons)
  • Edmonton (for obvious reasons)
  • Ottawa (may lose a defensive superstar but at least they HAD one...and that pick were all talking about)
  • Chicago (after all their success they deserve some bad years)
  • Pretty much any Central team.
It’s sucks that some teams just having an off year might get an insane boost just from an off year. I much prefer any team that gets Dahlin to actually be a bad team. Imagine a Chicago getting him...would instantly turn them right around I would think.

dahrougem2

Dec 9, 2011
Edmonton, Alberta
IF, and only if both Peter Chiarelli and Todd McLellan are booted the hell out of Edmonton, I would like to see him fall there.

Sure, it'd be worse for the Avs to see Dahlin go to a team in the west but the allure of McDavid/Draisaitl/Dahlin on the same team is glorious.

Pokecheque

I’ve been told it’s spelled “Pokecheck”
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
Here is my "Mock Draft" or the way I'd like it to go down.

1. Dahlin (BUF)
2. Svechnikov (ARZ)
3. Tkachuk (OTT)
4. Zadina (VAN)
5. Boqvist (DET)

Again, ANYONE BUT EDMONTON and I'll be fine with it.

Buffalo the organization doesn't deserve a break, but their fans do.

Pokecheque

I’ve been told it’s spelled “Pokecheck”
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
IF, and only if both Peter Chiarelli and Todd McLellan are booted the hell out of Edmonton, I would like to see him fall there.

Sure, it'd be worse for the Avs to see Dahlin go to a team in the west but the allure of McDavid/Draisaitl/Dahlin on the same team is glorious.

Nope, because all they'll do is turn back to the "Boys on the Bus" they spent close to a decade trying to get rid of.

And as I said before, even if they do land Dahlin, they will find a way to screw it up.

SaltySkywalker

Bushes of Love
Jul 15, 2016
Tatooine

Unfair is what I call that. Not a deserving team, IMO. All they would need is a superstar in net.

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
1st Overall pick, Chicago Blackhawks - Dahlin
3rd Overall pick, Edmonton Oilers - Zadina

And that's if we get lucky and those two teams aren't picking 1 & 2 since Edmonton no longer has Hall.

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
That’s kind of my point. I don’t want another Pittsburg Penguins superteam. I like parity.

Why? The hockey is better now than it was 5 years ago when the Bruins, Hawks & Kings were all better than the pens. And the hockey was better two decades ago when it was us, Detroit, Dallas & NJ who dominated the league. Change is good to keep things from getting stale, but parity does nothing for me if it's the result of rampant mediocrity.

SaltySkywalker

Bushes of Love
Jul 15, 2016
Tatooine
Why? The hockey is better now than it was 5 years ago when the Bruins, Hawks & Kings were all better than the pens. And the hockey was better two decades ago when it was us, Detroit, Dallas & NJ who dominated the league. Change is good to keep things from getting stale, but parity does nothing for me if it's the result of rampant mediocrity.

Why do parity and good hockey have to be mutually exclusive? I don’t mind dominant teams, but I like SOME parity to keep things interesting

SaltySkywalker

Bushes of Love
Jul 15, 2016
Tatooine
To each their own but I can't stand parity. I love super teams and true underdog stories in sports. Super teams is one of the biggest reasons for the NBA's dramatic rise in ratings and popularity.

I see what you’re saying to an extent but the NBA is exactly what I don’t want. I don’t care about ratings - Im uninterested in playoffs when I know for certain it’s just going to be a GSW - Cleveland final every year. Maybe sprinkle in the spurs.

That’s all I have to say really - don’t want to start a parity discussion!

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
Why do parity and good hockey have to be mutually exclusive? I don’t mind dominant teams, but I like SOME parity to keep things interesting

Oh they don't, but parity is usually achieved by a lack of powerhouse teams. Like the EPL the year Leicester won, sure that was a great example of parity. It was also a great example of how awful the big boys were. Ditto some of those years when the hawks weren't clicking between the Pittsburgh runs. Or the Bundesliga in the 2000s, we had a bunch of different champions...because Bayern was weak and the overall level of football was low. Or a lot of NFL seasons were the title has come down to who could stay healthy enough to face the Patriots in the SB.

It doesn't have to be mutually exclusive, but in my experience as a Soccer, Hockey, Basketball & American Football fan of over 20 years...the sports hit their highest levels during times were there were distinct powerhouses and less parity, while the highest levels of parity occurred when the sports were at their lowest rungs & mediocrity was rampant.

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
I see what you’re saying to an extent but the NBA is exactly what I don’t want. I don’t care about ratings - Im uninterested in playoffs when I know for certain it’s just going to be a GSW - Cleveland final every year. Maybe sprinkle in the spurs.

Are you a big basketball fan though? I mean a fan of the sport itself, not the NBA. Cause I'm a huge knicks fan & have a very passionate on-off relationship with basketball because of how frustrating an organization the Knicks are. And sure it sucks knowing that we don't have a chance unless we get lucky in the draft and get a second Porzingis.

...but I could care less. Watching the way Golden State can play is just astounding. This is Jordan's Bulls from my childhood only I'm not obligated to hate them for crushing the Knicks' dreams every year.

member 116861

Toronto vs Houston this year, baby!

The Abusement Park

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2016
I love watching dynasties and super teams play. You get to typically watch beautiful hockey or whatever sport being played. As much as people disliked the Hawks, how could you not enjoy watching that team play? They were so good and played aesthetically pleasing hockey. Parity is cool because it can make for good stories, but you don’t get the same amount of quality as you do without it.

On Dahlin, I think it’d be hilarious if the Devils missed the playoffs and won the lottery.

Reactions: cgf

Vaslof

Feb 1, 2017
Not Ottawa or Carolina hopefully.

Vancouver would be my pick for the best winner.

Balthazar

I haven't talked to the trainers yet
Sponsor
Apr 25, 2006
It will sting if it's Ottawa, especially since it wouldn't have taken much from Sakic at the time to deny them to top 10 protect the pick.

Buffalo, AZ, Montreal and Detroit are OK. No to Chicago and Edmonton. Not a fan of Vancouver either.

AZ is the only team from the West that I don't mind.

BaconNater

Jul 4, 2011
CO
Used to live in Michigan, Red Wings fans are penciling Dahlin and Tavares in their lineups already all over social media, let them lose please.

I bet Chicago gets one of the top 3 just because why not.

Reactions: cgf

Ad

Latest posts

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad