When would you start believing again?

Psychoil

Mar 10, 2011
Premature title aside,

What do the oilers need to do in the next 15 games for you to start believing they can be the better than the last couple of years?

Do you guys want to see wins? What about lots of goals? What about good defensive play? What about individual progressions like yakupov or RNH getting way better? What about Eakins making the right decisions? All of these or none of these?

To me, in the next 15 games, I want to see less goals against us, obviously 500+ hockey and individual progression out of yakupov and RNH and Schultz

Aerrol

༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
Sep 18, 2014

And try to get those wins convincingly if possible.

plikestechno

Mar 14, 2008
I always believe. After all this time. I think they're going to win every game. Still. I just wished they believed that hard as well. Maybe now that they have a win out of the way they will play with more confidence and aggression.

NewBoysClub97*

All-Star
Jun 1, 2012
Vancouver
If we get back to 0.500

I didn't all of the elation yesterday.

One positive I take so far this year is that for the most part, we are playing better 5 on 5 and playing good.

LA I didn;t like and I didn't watch the Phoenix game or the last Vancouver game.

Defense and some goaltending has put us down. Outplayed Calgary game 1. Vancouver had the refs up their behinds in that 5-4 loss. 7 straight PP's and a goal that should not have counted will create momentum.

We are not great, but we are not as bad as our record indicates.

The Oilers playing like they did last night consistently will give me hope.

GMofOilers

Oct 15, 2007
Mountains
I still figure they go 2-7-1 in their first 10. That was my prediction before the season started.

I see them winning their next game, then losing the 4 after.

n7

Oct 15, 2011
Edmonton
When Eakins is gone and we have a competent HC who comprehends who are best players are.

Kinibo

Apr 11, 2013
I always believe. After all this time. I think they're going to win every game. Still. I just wished they believed that hard as well. Maybe now that they have a win out of the way they will play with more confidence and aggression.

I'm the eternal optimist. For whatever reason, I just can't stay away from this team. I even told the wife at the start of this year I didn't think I would be watching much hockey because I just couldn't take another 82 games of being disappointed again. But there I was last night, cheering like we won the Stanley Cup when Nuge scored the winning goal.

You kind of get the sense with this team that they're not as far away as they appear. There's just something there that makes me think we're close to being a decent club. I still think Eakins is smart enough to think his way out of his rookie mistakes. I still think MacT is capable of making the right moves, if he ever can find a player who actually wants to come to Edm. I still think RNH and Eberle can be integral if they can ever get a taste of what it's like to win.

Seriously, I think the biggest problem with this club is Lowe and, by extension, Katz. I don't think the arrogance and petty squabbling with other GM's lends itself well to a positive image, within the team or around the rest of the league. This is the "culture" that we talk so much about. If that can ever be fixed, I think a lot of other things would fall into place.

Last edited:

Beerfish

Apr 14, 2007
My first question to people in this thread is what do you mean by .500? You mean the real .500? Or the phoney baloney loser point .500?

You are still a terrible team if you have a .500 record in the NHL these days.

nabob

Big Daddy Kane
Aug 3, 2005
HF boards
Get to a spot where they're challenging for a playoff spot. The Oilers are almost a cap team and are no longer "young".

Oi'll say!

Read this now!
Nov 18, 2002
Oil in 9
Visit site
30 consecutive games that they:

-competed in, maybe two or three "nights off" in that whole span,
-used the kids intelligently, in roles that they were expected to be playing in when they were drafted, and with players that they can learn from,
-exhibited a disciplined defensive system and played smart along the boards.

These are things that we haven't seen in Edmonton since before MacT was the coach. I don't have the slightest bit of hope that we are going to see it with the current leadership of the team.

dem

Mar 17, 2002
My first question to people in this thread is what do you mean by .500? You mean the real .500? Or the phoney baloney loser point .500?

You are still a terrible team if you have a .500 record in the NHL these days.

I'm easy..

im just looking for loser point .500

baby steps

Tyrolean

Feb 1, 2004
Play with more intelligence and discipline. Yesterday was a good start. The coach and staff should note the mistakes and get the players to correct them.

Don't worry about losing. if you play well and you will get your chances

Insta

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 23, 2005
Edmonton
The Oilers always matched up well against teams like the Lightning who play an offensive style. It's the big teams in the west that dont give you much that they can't ever seem to beat. Need to compete in and win some of those.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Sydney Swans @ Hawthorn Hawks
    Sydney Swans @ Hawthorn Hawks
    Wagers: 6
    Staked: $6,201.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $1,447.00