When Will We Begin The Slafkovsky Discussion? - UPDATE: Hatrick Against Philadelphia April 9, 2024

waffledave

waffledave, from hf
Aug 22, 2004
Montreal
Its so weird to see Slaf developing so rapidly, and looking so good this season and to see posters still hang on to the "rushed to the NHL" narrative.

I was certainly wrong on Slafs talent level and potential but I was adamant that playing in the NHL with superior coaching, facilities, and teammates was better than staying home and racking up points in a secondary league or riding the bus in the AHL.

I guess you can always say "what if" instead of admitting you were wrong.

Not directed at anyone in particular.
I was 100% wrong about him and I'm not afraid to admit it. I hated the pick, I hated him being in the NHL last year. I hated how he played to start the year. I said he "sucked shit" and would hold Suzuki and Caufield down.

A lot of the big Slaf backers when he was drafted said he went 1st overall due to his parabolic progression. I always thought that was a load of bs but they are certainly making me put my foot in my mouth, because he is growing his game faster and faster as time goes by.

I am trying not to get too excited, because the last time I felt this hyped about a young Habs prospect was when Galchenyuk scored 30 goals and was unstoppable on the PP. But Slaf has gone from being one of my least favorite prospects to one of the reasons I even watch this team at all.

Frank Drebin

He's just a child
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2004
Edmonton
I was 100% wrong about him and I'm not afraid to admit it. I hated the pick, I hated him being in the NHL last year. I hated how he played to start the year. I said he "sucked shit" and would hold Suzuki and Caufield down.

A lot of the big Slaf backers when he was drafted said he went 1st overall due to his parabolic progression. I always thought that was a load of bs but they are certainly making me put my foot in my mouth, because he is growing his game faster and faster as time goes by.

I am trying not to get too excited, because the last time I felt this hyped about a young Habs prospect was when Galchenyuk scored 30 goals and was unstoppable on the PP. But Slaf has gone from being one of my least favorite prospects to one of the reasons I even watch this team at all.
Same. I said things like I have no idea what scouts saw in him to be a first round pick let alone a first overall.

The thing is, and this isn't revisionist, but we weren't necessarily wrong last season and to start this one when we would say things like he sucks shit.

Slaf looked legitimately terrible up to the maybe 20 game mark. He did not look like an NHL player at all . We just couldn't see his potential. Oh well not my first time being wrong on a player.

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
I was actually recommending Slafkovsky as the #1OA and got into a few discussions with Habs fans about it (seeing as they were banking on Wright).

waffledave

waffledave, from hf
Aug 22, 2004
Montreal
Same. I said things like I have no idea what scouts saw in him to be a first round pick let alone a first overall.

The thing is, and this isn't revisionist, but we weren't necessarily wrong last season and to start this one when we would say things like he sucks shit.

Slaf looked legitimately terrible up to the maybe 20 game mark. He did not look like an NHL player at all . We just couldn't see his potential. Oh well not my first time being wrong on a player.
I can understand being patient with a player, but from my perspective I just didn't see him as NHL ready at all. He really did look terrible last year and to start this year, I did not see what other people were seeing. I saw no benefit in keeping him here and if anything, I was worried about wrecking the player because he was getting hit left and right and was playing with no confidence.

Ultimately I'm glad they put him on the 1st line because it seems like playing with good players has made him better. These are still formative years for him, and Suzuki is a great role model (and he himself is still growing - they are helping each other in this regard).

Frank Drebin

He's just a child
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2004
Edmonton
I was actually recommending Slafkovsky as the #1OA and got into a few discussions with Habs fans about it (seeing as they were banking on Wright).

I think it was @bert was also very high on slaf. Said Habs fans didn't deserve him.

As far as the draft went, I thought wright was the no brainer. But as soon as they picked slaf at 1 and wright went to 4 I figured scouts saw something in S.W. that they didn't like and I was ok with that. Same with the michkov pick. Well see how that one plays out though

Reactions: NyQuil

ottawa

Nov 7, 2012
Orléans/Toronto
Kids underrated, he's going to be an animal in a few years. He had a slow start but I think every single habs fan is very happy with how he played in the 2nd half of the season, fantastic year for him.

He scored his 20th goal and 50th point tonight, securing his 250k performance bonus.

Breakfast of Champs

Apr 15, 2007

The part where you were wrong 100 percent was saying you didn't see any potential.

I mean, maybe YOU didn't, but it was obvious this guy had major upside and a toolbox that only comes along once in a blue moon.

Yes he was inconsistent and often bad, but he was a teenager. If you saw the glimpses and didn't see this type of upside, you missed something.

Honestly I didn't expect 50 pts this year but the upside he showed in short flashed even at 18 was ridiculous. It was easy to see why scouts thought he could potentially be a huge impact player

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad