When Will We Begin The Slafkovsky Discussion? - UPDATE: Hatrick Against Philadelphia April 9, 2024

Andrei79

Jan 25, 2013
Strange take. That trade helped get us Bedard and Nazar. I’d make it again today, especially after knowing what happened.

So this mediocre player would have prevented the Hawks from drafting Bedard ? How very consistent of you. If that was the issue, Chicago might have just kept him and not signed either Domi or Athanasiou. There you go, easy solution to keep that 6'4" 21 year old centerman. I'm sure you also know Nazar himself had a serious injury... right ?

Chicago made him available because he was injury prone more so because he was horrible. If Dach was healthy and didn't have those injuries, Hawks would not have made him available for the 13th overall pick.
They were after a bigger prize which they won so that automatically makes the trade a win for them.
Right. They traded him because he was injury prone. After playing 70 games the previous season. It's pretty clear he just didn't fit in their plans anymore.

But hey, apparently Habs fans were in love with Dach last year after a hot start, which apparently means something to that one unbiased Blackhawks mod, lmao.

Captain Mountain

Formerly Captain Wolverine
Jun 6, 2010
Strange take. That trade helped get us Bedard and Nazar. I’d make it again today, especially after knowing what happened.

Nazar? Obviously. Bedard? The only way that trade would meaningfully impact winning the lottery is if Chicago actually had the best odds. As is they barely had better odds than Montreal.

Crow

May 19, 2014
So this mediocre player would have prevented the Hawks from drafting Bedard ? How very consistent of you. If that was the issue, Chicago might have just kept him and not signed either Domi or Athanasiou. There you go, easy solution to keep that 6'4" 21 year old centerman. I'm sure you also know Nazar himself had a serious injury... right ?

Right. They traded him because he was injury prone. After playing 70 games the previous season. It's pretty clear he just didn't fit in their plans anymore.

But hey, apparently Habs fans were in love with Dach last year after a hot start, which apparently means something to that one unbiased Blackhawks mod, lmao.
I mean a couple more points across the season could have resulted in a wildly different rebuild and not drafting Bedard. Nothing inconsistent about it. Really I don’t think Dach is a bad player, nor did I “trash” him, I just think the odds of him putting it all together to have the special seasons worthy of a 3 OA pick are getting worse as time goes by. I expect an unspectacular career. Time will tell I guess.

Reactions: Voight

DisgruntledHawkFan

Blackhawk Down
Jun 19, 2004
South Side
Not sure what the point is supposed to be here.

He's looked really good since the start of his Habs career. He's just been injured a ton.

Are you somehow suggesting that he's played badly? Surely that can't be.
He's been a good player for the Habs no doubt. I'd much rather role the dice on Nazar especially knowing what I know now.

Reactions: Voight

GrandmaCookie

Feb 10, 2019
Scored again yesterday. 6-game point streak (2 goals 5 assists).

In 2024 he has 25 points in 33 games ranking 77th in forwards. Slafkovsky has been playing like a first liner winger for a while now.

Jeune Poulet

Oct 31, 2019
When they aren't cherry-picked, his stats are not impressive. But he generates a lot of scoring chances with his play, especially for a 19 year old.

The skills are raw but there is a lot of potential for growth as a complete, two-way power forward.

Reactions: Realgud

Jack Skellington

Sep 29, 2017
When they aren't cherry-picked, his stats are not impressive. But he generates a lot of scoring chances with his play, especially for a 19 year old.

The skills are raw but there is a lot of potential for growth as a complete, two-way power forward.
You don't have to cherry pick that hard. Literally draw a line when he stopped having to lug Josh Anderson's husk around and it looks fine.

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
He was friggin terrible for the first 50 games of his career, he's been friggin incredible since.

He's a force and I don't know how high his ceiling can go. I said before the draft his ceilign was the highest, well, here it is. I don't know. He's an unicorn, he's special. The only real question mark is the IQ one and he's answering those every game.

TheUnusedCrayon

Apr 12, 2018
I was hoping he'd stand out in the Canucks game as I don't watch the Habs much.

Aside from his one shift where the tipped the puck in, I thought he was invisible. Very short sample size obviously but the only other time I heard his name was on a turnover he made. I'm sure he's better most other games but I was slightly disappointed.

Maybe I was focused on my own team a bit too much though.

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
Habs fans were in love with Kirby Dach after a hot streak.
Still love that guy.

Now, if he can only stay healthy…

If you take a players hottest streak of the season and extrapolate it over a full season - lots of players look pretty impressive.
Fair point.

In this case however, the story here is one of progression. I agree with those who say he shouldn’t have been in the league last year as he just didn’t seem ready. And he started this year poorly as well.

They moved him up in the lineup and his play immediately improved. For about twenty games or so his play was very good but he was snakebit. He was paired with CC who’s having a rough season with a shooting percentage around 7 percent. Set him up but it just didn’t translate to points. Finally though he started getting puck luck and the points started rolling in.

He’s a good, skilled physical player and I think he’ll be a beast as he gets older. I won’t predict points but he’s going to be tough to beat on the boards and will do his share of scoring.

I had wanted Wright but I totally get why Montreal took this guy. It’s a marathon not a sprint and we won’t know for years if they actually took the right guy but right now it feels pretty good to have taken him.

And with Montreal getting him, Hutson, Beck, Mesar and Engstrom…. That draft could be the best we’ve had since 1984.

vlady

May 22, 2009
Bratislava
www.powerplay.studio

Aside from his one shift where the tipped the puck in, I thought he was invisible. Very short sample size obviously but the only other time I heard his name was on a turnover he made. I'm sure he's better most other games but I was slightly disappointed.

yeah, he didn't have a great game against the Canucks, but a lot of credit has to go to the opponent for that. They did a great job of shutting down the top line, which is the only line that teams really need to focus on.

Reactions: TheUnusedCrayon

A55P2

Jul 14, 2009
Québec, Québec

There's still gonna be some ups and downs. Caufield has a bit of a down year after his surgery. Even Suzuki who's having an overall great season had some rough patches early in the season.

We're a young team and those guys are learning without much help. Would be nice to at least have a second line that could relieve some pressure from the first but Dach's injury and trading Monahan make it impossible for the end of the season.

But Slaf overall really is having a breakthrough year. He's been amazing and I was far from convinced at the start of the season.

Reactions: TheUnusedCrayon

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad