When Will We Begin The Slafkovsky Discussion? - UPDATE: Hatrick Against Philadelphia April 9, 2024

banks

Only got 3 of 16.
Aug 29, 2019
Adversity builds character and helps players succeed. I never bought the theory that young players need to dominate in lesser leagues in order to succeed.

As proven by Slafs development curve this year, its certainly debatable.

Debatable is a good word. I respect your opinion. But I feel he's succeeding now despite Montreal's development plan, not because of it. Not every 1st overall needs to be in the NHL right away. And many players might have wilted in the heat in his place.

Reactions: Frank Drebin

The Gr8 Dane

L'harceleur
Jan 19, 2018
Montreal
I find it a little odd that you guys are essentially demanding crow be eaten because he's had what.... a 20 game stretch of almost point per game play? That's great. As with that Suzuki thread a while back, I guess the threshold for habs fans is just that low these days.

I hope the kid succeeds but the indignation in here seems unwarranted to say the least.
A habs fan didn't make this thread.

an almost ppg stretch for a 19 year old in Montreal is basically a miracle. We have had the least productive offence in the entire NHL for 25 years , we are down there with seattle and arizona for the least amount of ppg players in that timespan. Let us have ONE or two nice things jesus.

BLONG7

Oct 30, 2002
Nova Scotia
Visit site

an almost ppg stretch for a 19 year old in Montreal is basically a miracle. We have had the least productive offence in the entire NHL for 25 years , we are down there with seattle and arizona for the least amount of ppg players in that timespan. Let us have ONE or two nice things jesus.
Well said....

Haters gonna hate...............there is no stopping them.

Reactions: The Gr8 Dane

a mangy Meowth

Ross Colton Fan
Jun 21, 2012
Highlands Ranch, CO

I don't remember expecting to be coddled on the main boards when my team sucked for a decade

The Gr8 Dane

L'harceleur
Jan 19, 2018
Montreal
When he and the Habs become relevant. For now who cares.

Too bad for him that he will have to wear the first over-all banner and the pressures which come with it. I see him as a Patches type of player. He will make an impact, but I highly doubt he will ever be even close to elite.
Post like these are gold , your team got slapped around easily by little baby caufield suzuki + danault and here you are spewing that slafkovsky is gonna be patches haha.

Your posts always make me smile and feel good thanks. Leafs fans can't talk until they do something else than embarrass themselves every year

I don't remember expecting to be coddled on the main boards when my team sucked for a decade
Well our team hasn't sucked for a decade we've just had shitters at forward since forever

SEALBound

Fancy Gina Carano
Sponsor
Jun 13, 2010
Just checked to see if what you said made any sense. So I checked the last 10 1st overall picks before Slaf to see how they did the 2nd year after being drafted. Turns out only 2 of them are close to PPG in the NHL : McDavid and Matthews.

So maybe your expectations for 1st overall picks are a bit skewed.
That's over their entire careers or even a season. What I said was:

I should hope to f***ing god he's PPG for stretches in the season.
06b06aff-3d6f-4393-9a6c-0d4f5813d54a_text.gif

PaulD

Time for a new GM !
Feb 4, 2016
Dundas

Amen to that.

Last 100 point player we had was Mats Nazlund in 1985.

BLONG7

Oct 30, 2002
Nova Scotia
Visit site
Amen to that.

Last 100 point player we had was Mats Nazlund in 1985.
Absolutely nuts..................we had many GM's who wanted to lay it all on the goalie, and use the anything can happen mantra.
Serge Savard tried to get us some scoring back, but got fired before he could trade Roy....

Reactions: HuGo Sham

SnowblindNYR

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 16, 2011
Brooklyn, NY
The main boards are so toxic. Every time a player is not on the same schedule as other players with similar profiles the main boards are vultures and quickly disparage the player. I won't lie the lack of pedigree and production probably made more bearish on him than I should have been this early in his career. So I'm not even excluding myself from this take.

Junohockeyfan

Dec 16, 2018
This was started by a Sens fan! Let that sink in!

The haters in the previous threads are no where to be seen. Shame.

Its fun to watch Slaf play hockey.

ijuka

May 14, 2016
You could say he has 19 points in his last 21 games. You could also say he has 7 points in his last 13 games. You could also say that he has 6 points in his last 5 games. Or 37 in his last 68 games.

In other words, well done cherry-picking a suitable stat line for your argument.

But where was this thread 2 weeks ago when he had 1 points in his last 8 games? Didn't fit the narrative, I guess.

Looking forward to the next thread after the next hot streak.

Javaman

Jul 13, 2010
Vancouver
If he can maintain or improve his PPG pace over the next couple of seasons, then he's clearly removed himself from consideration as the worst 1OA pick in recent memory.

HabzSauce

Jun 10, 2022
You could say he has 19 points in his last 21 games. You could also say he has 7 points in his last 13 games. You could also say that he has 6 points in his last 5 games. Or 37 in his last 68 games.

In other words, well done cherry-picking a suitable stat line for your argument.

But where was this thread 2 weeks ago when he had 1 points in his last 8 games? Didn't fit the narrative, I guess.

Looking forward to the next thread after the next hot streak.
Oh give me a break lmao. 19 in 21 what's not to love? That's 1/4th of the entire season. And the eye test backs it up too he's not just racking up lucky points lol he's often looked like the Habs best player outside of Suzuki even when he's not on the stat sheet. I see threads like these every week about other players, and we all chime in with our takes - why is this one any different?

At some point we're gonna start talking about the kid more regularly because he's looked amazing since November, sorry if that ruffles your feathers. And he's only getting better.....very exciting times.

Doesn't get enough love YET (understandably so because he's just starting to take off) but man it's funny lol after a whopping 39 games played last year there were 53 pages about how he was a bust! Now that he's starting to turn up and show people why he was selected 1st overall, we can't appreciate his play and the progress he's made??

His progression this year has been nothing but impressive. Truly a treat to watch, guy is an animal already at 19

Reactions: SlafySZN

JimmyApples

Sep 24, 2021
All of these ‘records’ I’ve seen Slafkovsky break are stupid. “Most points as a 19 year old Canadien”… okay?

With that being said, 19 points in 21 games is very encouraging for any 19 year old, especially one who kinda struggled out of the gate. People were quick to call him a bust, but he’s showing a lot of potential over the last couple of months.

Givememoneyback

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 10, 2007
This is the second or third time this thread was brought up this yea, so I'm guessing it began earlier this year.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad