When will the Rangers have their Crosby?

alko

Oct 20, 2004
Slovakia
www.slovakhockey.sk
New York Rangers were know to sign old stars on the decline only to have "stars" on their roster. But that wasn't very good idea. Because also Gretzky wasn't in his prime.

Last true superstar, what can i remember, was Jaromir Jagr.
But also he was there on his late 30s. And only for 3 and half seasons. And, only 1 season was spectacular (123 points) a one was very good (96 points).

When will we see true offensive Superstar in this team?

They should have one, because in New York area it is very hard competition between Major 4 franchises.

OvermanKingGainer

#BennettFreed #CurseofTheSpulll #FreeOliver
Feb 3, 2015
2022 Cup to Calgary
McDavid will be a free agent in 2022. NYR could also offer sheet him in 2018 but it's likely Edmonton would sell off their entire roster in losing deals to make cap space to match.

dahrougem2

Dec 9, 2011
Edmonton, Alberta
Miss the playoffs, finish low enough to get high enough odds at a top-3 draft pick and select a potential star.

Otherwise, continue waiting. Star players don't change teams very much in free agency. The last true "stars" I can recall changing teams via FA are Parise and Suter, and neither of those players can be deemed a "superstar."

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
They have to draft better.

The Rangers are a very good drafting team late, that's why they stay competitive, but their first rounds have historically been a disaster.

Then again, not having an offensive superstar isn't the problem with the Rangers. In 2014 and 2015 they went to the SCF and won the Presidents Trophy with a #7D and an AHL D in their top 4. How bad could the forwards be?

nmbr_24

Jun 8, 2003
Visit site
They will have one when they draft one. I could see the Rangers slipping some and then rebuilding while keeping all of their 27 year old and younger players and mainly moving all of the older guys. That would require an almost total rebuild of the D. If they were to do that they would likely have a rough couple of years and draft very high and maybe get a shot at a superstar type of player.

Blueshirts 94

DJ ZBad
Jan 26, 2016
New York
Not until after Lundqvist retires. He keeps them at least in contention for the playoffs every year, and the management will never commit to a full rebuild.

Devilsfan118

Sing us a song, you're the Schiano man
Jun 11, 2010
NJ
Well if they completely give up and throw in the towel and tank, they might land one over the next few years.

But the Rangers, and it pains me to pay them a compliment, but they're a classier organization than that. I don't see them going the way of the Penguins or Oilers any time soon.

Evergreen

But also he was there on his late 30s. And only for 3 and half seasons. And, only 1 season was spectacular (123 points) a one was very good (96 points).

Jagr was with the Rangers from 31-35, so not in his late 30s. And that 2005-06 year was one of the best single season performances I've ever seen. I was living in NYC at the time, so I got to watch almost every Rangers game.

For better or for worse, the Rangers are always a somewhat competitive team because they are a primary destination for free agents and they have money to spend. So they don't often finish near the bottom of the league. Most of the truly elite superstars in the league nowadays were high draft picks, so it's going to be tough for the Rangers to get one of those guys early on in their careers.

hagelin1381

Mar 27, 2016
Orlando, FL
They're too good to be bad.. Lundqvist has dragged that team further than it deserved to go for years. And even when he retires, their forward group will be too good to be bad.. Basically I'm saying they need to tank but they're too good to do that in the foreseeable future

Last edited:

Telos

In Gavrikov We Must Trust
Aug 16, 2008
Reno, NV
When they are bad enough to win the draft lottery and pick first overall on what happens to be a strong year when one is available.

RiceCooker

"We Got Some Looks"
Mar 6, 2007
Home !!
When you make the playoffs every year(13 out of the last 14) for the Rangers, it's a little hard to draft young super stars !!

TOGuy14

Dec 30, 2010
Toronto
New York Rangers were know to sign old stars on the decline only to have "stars" on their roster. But that wasn't very good idea. Because also Gretzky wasn't in his prime.

When will we see true offensive Superstar in this team?

They should have one, because in New York area it is very hard competition between Major 4 franchises.

Let's see how recent teams have acquired their superstar players:

PIT: Crosby (1st OA), Malkin (2nd OA)
WSH: Ovechkin (1st OA), Backstrom (4th OA)
EDM: McDavid (1st OA), Draisatl (3rd OA)
TOR: Matthews (1st OA), Marner (4th OA),
CHI: Kane (1st OA)
TB: Stamkos (1st OA), Hedman (2nd OA)

Hmmm I am starting to sense a trend here, do you see it too?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad