When Will The First Goaltender Go?

Crede777

Deputized
Dec 16, 2009
When do you predict the first goaltender will go in this year's draft? Last year, Dallas picked Jack Campbell 11th overall. While coaches who had Campbell last year and John Gibson this year claim that there is little drop off in performance between the two, I think that he won't go until early 2nd round. Also, I think he'll go before the other Gibson or any of the Swedish goaltenders (Perhonen and Hellberg).

What do you think? Do you think there is a team that is desperate enough for goaltending to take one in the first round? Do you think early 2nd round is too early for this year's goaltending crop?

Last edited:

ajost

May 10, 2011
Somewhere
i don't think a goalie will get drafted in this years draft..not a chance for one to get drafted at all imo

KovalSNIPE

Feb 9, 2011
All I want to see is Magnus Hellberg go to the Devils hopefully in the 3rd round.

-He's Swedish.
-His last name is HELLberg.
-Seeing that name on a Devils jersey would be amazing.
-Had very strong stats playing in the SEL.

HockeySauce

Jan 26, 2011
Hoping for a Gibson to the Hawks at #43.. but I've seen some mocks where the first goaltender doesn't get picked untill the third round and others where someone takes John Gibson in the early 20's of the first round. So, who knows.

FinlandPanther

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 16, 2009
Florida
All I want to see is Magnus Hellberg go to the Devils hopefully in the 3rd round.

-He's Swedish.
-His last name is HELLberg.
-Seeing that name on a Devils jersey would be amazing.
-Had very strong stats playing in the SEL.

He played in Allsvenskan. Sweden-2

Sore Loser

Sorest of them all
Dec 9, 2006
Spokane, WA.
It will be one of the Gibsons or Perhonnen ... Perhonnen probably has the most upside of any goaltender in the draft, but is a boom or bust kind of guy. None of them will likely be selected until 45 or later.

cheswick

Non-registered User
Mar 17, 2010
South Kildonan
When do you predict the first goaltender will go in this year's draft? Last year, Dallas picked Jack Campbell 11th overall. While coaches who had Campbell last year and John Gibson this year claim that there is little drop off in performance between the two, I think that he won't go until early 2nd round. Also, I think he'll go before the other Gibson or any of the Swedish goaltenders (Perhonen and Hellberg).

What do you think? Do you think there is a team that is desperate enough for goaltending to take one in the first round? Do you think early 2nd round is too early for this year's goaltending crop?

Goalies take a lot longer to mature than any other player. If a team is desperate for a goalie drafting one isn't a solution since they won't be ready for prime time for several years.

But i agree with your assesment, late first round or early second round. Gibson will be chosen (one of them, not sure which)

PhoPhan

Feb 27, 2002
I think perhonnen is going to go first. and to pheonix

The Coyotes took two goalies last year, including one in the first round who went on to win OHL goalie of the year. Maloney has also gone on record saying he won't take a goalie in the first round, and I personally doubt he takes one at all this weekend.

17Kurri

Apr 10, 2010
It should be Chris Gibson, but will probably be John Gibson. I think the Hawks will be the first team to pick a goalie.

17Kurri

Apr 10, 2010
Based on what? Just curious.

Personal preference mostly, but from what I've seen Chris appears to be more fundamentally sound and more athletic. With John's size, he shouldn't need to move around the net to make saves as much as he seems to.

To be fair, though, I've seen Chris about a dozen times and John only a couple of times, so my preference probably has at least a bit to do with familiarity.

HockeySauce

Jan 26, 2011
hawks already have crawford:yo:

Yeah, we have Crawford. Which means we're set for 3 years. After Crow we have Salak (back-up next year), Simpson (Everett - WHL) and Carruth (Portland - WHL) and none of those guys seem to be slam-dunk potential NHL starters. I don't know you can say either Gibson is a slam-dunk potential starter either, but their upside would be higher then anyone currently in the Hawks system.

JMcLeaf

Which teams are most likely looking to draft a goalie? Detroit? Tampa? San Jose? Just guessing.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad