When Will The First Goaltender Go?

Vagrant

The Czech Condor
Feb 27, 2002
North Carolina
Visit site
Teams needing more "immediate" help in goal could look for Hellberg earlier than later. If he has a successful season or two in the SEL he could immediately come over and start getting action in the AHL and be that much ahead of his peers in development. With his size and performance, he has risen as dramatically as any goaltender in recent memory. He wasn't even ranked at the midterm by CSS and he's now the 2nd ranked European goaltender and showing up on TSN's Honorable Mentions.

I don't think he'll go first, but I think he should. He's the most projectable prospect in this draft at the position for me with the combination of size and technique that you rarely see.

Stanleyjub

Oct 24, 2009
hockey
I could see Senators,Canes or/and Rangers taking G on 2nd round. Senators even perhaps with their 1st round pick. Gibsons and Perhonen are pretty much locked top-3 of the goalies imo.

Prussian_Blue

Apr 9, 2003
futurenotes.blogspot.com
I'm going to guess that St. Louis, if they end up keeping all three of their second-round picks, uses one of them to take John Gibson (probably at 41st overall) if he's still there.

Ben Bishop may end up as Halak's backup on the NHL roster by default, and that would leave just Jake Allen in Peoria, and Clarkson senior Paul Karpowich as legitimate prospects outside the NHL.

I don't consider Konstantin Barulin a "prospect" any more due to his age, and due to the fact that he's probably not ever coming over... and I think the Blues have lost/surrendered the rights to Reto Berra... so it makes sense to restock the organization's goaltending pipeline, especially if the consensus top goalie in this draft falls into the Blues' lap.

DJB

Jan 6, 2009
twitter.com
It should be Chris Gibson, but will probably be John Gibson. I think the Hawks will be the first team to pick a goalie.

Yup. Been my feelings all along. Put up very good numbers playing on a terrible Chicoutimi team. I like him a lot. Likely a Day 2 pick though....

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad