Line Combos: When will Romanov play with Weber - The Poll.

When will we get Romanov next to Weber?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
Honestly, he’s not ready. OTOH, Chiarot shouldn’t be there either.

This.

He's playing well overall. But bring him along slowly.

It's Chiarot, Mete, or a trade. We know Luke Richardson doesn't like Mete's lack of size in that role. So it's Chiarot or a trade.

Reactions: sandviper

MaynardJames

Jul 6, 2007
Quebec
I think about that every game and I came to the conclusion that the organization decided that Romanov will stick to the right side for a long time so Norlinder, Harris and Ghule can play on the left side eventually. I expect Chiarot to end up with Romanov and Kulak with Weber. Somewhere in the near future. Maybe after Bergevin find someone to replace Richardson ?

MaynardJames

Jul 6, 2007
Quebec
Trade for a top4 LD and then either Seattle take Edmundson or we convince them to have a 2 for 1 of Byron and Chiarot.

If Emelin can be traded after the ED, so can Chiarot in his final contract year.

We need to keep Edmondson he is doing fine with Petry who benefits his presence. The rest will be fix with our young studs with time.

malcb33

Apr 10, 2005
New Zealand
Romanov has been erratic/poor defensively for most of the year. His in zone play is like a timbits hockey player scattering around following the puck. He's continually out of position. Him and Kulak just shouldn't be together.

If Romanov has been erratic and poor defensively, what are your thoughts on Chariot, who's playing with our most defensively sound defenceman?

I feel your criticism of Romanov is way too harsh here. He definitely hasn't been perfect, and he's had some bad nights (like all of the D have) but he's also a rookie, playing on his offside with Kulak, who's hardly a stable influence.

On average, Chariot plays 22:01, which is just 6 seconds less a game than Petry, 4:30 more than Romanov and 2:38 more than Edmundson. This clearly needs to change as Chariot is not close to playing like the 3rd best defenceman on the team this season.

Webber is playing an average of 22:59 a game, which IMO also needs to be trimmed back

Reactions: Tighthead

ItzaGreat

How's your Mario impression?
Oct 22, 2017
World 2 - 3
I'm affraid that by the time Romanov will be ready to be a top pairing defenseman, Weber won't be one anymore

Deebs

There's no easy way out
Feb 5, 2014
If Romanov has been erratic and poor defensively, what are your thoughts on Chariot, who's playing with our most defensively sound defenceman?

I feel your criticism of Romanov is way too harsh here. He definitely hasn't been perfect, and he's had some bad nights (like all of the D have) but he's also a rookie, playing on his offside with Kulak, who's hardly a stable influence.

On average, Chariot plays 22:01, which is just 6 seconds less a game than Petry, 4:30 more than Romanov and 2:38 more than Edmundson. This clearly needs to change as Chariot is not close to playing like the 3rd best defenceman on the team this season.

Webber is playing an average of 22:59 a game, which IMO also needs to be trimmed back
Chia hasn't been great either, but we're not talking about him.

The criticism isn't harsh at all, it's reality. If you look at the conversation, you'll see that I've stated that we know he's a rookie and those mistakes will happen. The problem is for the team to be better this year, we need more from that position if they aren't going to make changes to the top two pairings. He's going to be a very solid player for years, he just isn't there yet.

malcb33

Apr 10, 2005
New Zealand
Chia hasn't been great either, but we're not talking about him.

The criticism isn't harsh at all, it's reality. If you look at the conversation, you'll see that I've stated that we know he's a rookie and those mistakes will happen. The problem is for the team to be better this year, we need more from that position if they aren't going to make changes to the top two pairings. He's going to be a very solid player for years, he just isn't there yet.

I guess that’s where our opinions differ, I strongly believe that the top 2 pairs need to change. Webber needs a new line mate and a little less ice time, and Ed and Petry need to play more. The Habs are a fair better team when they can effectively transition the puck.

I still believe Romanov should be given a shot with Webber at a least to see what you have. If it doesn’t work, go back to Chariot and hope he picks his game up from the demotion. The other options are Mete or a trade. Mete isn’t an option for the rest of the season IMO and I’d be wary of paying to much for #1LD with the LD talent in the pipeline and XD looming.

Treb

Global Flanderator
May 31, 2011
Montreal
We need to keep Edmondson he is doing fine with Petry who benefits his presence. The rest will be fix with our young studs with time.

But if he want to go in this year, an upgrade on Chiarot is needed. Unless that upgrade is FA, he will be protected over Edmundson.

Deebs

There's no easy way out
Feb 5, 2014
I guess that’s where our opinions differ, I strongly believe that the top 2 pairs need to change. Webber needs a new line mate and a little less ice time, and Ed and Petry need to play more. The Habs are a fair better team when they can effectively transition the puck.

I still believe Romanov should be given a shot with Webber at a least to see what you have. If it doesn’t work, go back to Chariot and hope he picks his game up from the demotion. The other options are Mete or a trade. Mete isn’t an option for the rest of the season IMO and I’d be wary of paying to much for #1LD with the LD talent in the pipeline and XD looming.
I'm for a change as well, but the staff doesn't seem to think so, that's why I'm saying we need to find a way to improve the 3rd pairing.

Petry and Eddy are fine. I'd like to see Romanov move up for a spell just to see if anything improves. Given his lack of positioning, I'm not sure it would, but at least give it a try.

Reactions: malcb33

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
Too early to tell. Let him take the time it takes -- which is not necessarily linear. I'd hate to see him put in a position where he doesn't need to be just because MB planned poorly or misjudged his personnel.

malcb33

Apr 10, 2005
New Zealand
Too early to tell. Let him take the time it takes -- which is not necessarily linear. I'd hate to see him put in a position where he doesn't need to be just because MB planned poorly or misjudged his personnel.
I feel this depends on how the approach and expectations to pairing Romanov with Webber are handled internally. I think that with previous coaches, it was handled poorly and deflated players when it didn't work out or they had a bad game. I think if handled correctly, the opportunity can be looked at as a learning experience, without the deflation and negativity if it doesn't work out.

At least then, the team knows exactly what they have, and can then assess its options for the rest of the season and beyond. And Romanov knows what he needs to do to improve from his experience.

Holystik

Nov 17, 2018
Mars
Maybe a blessing in disguise just propulsed Roma with Weber. Perhaps those 8 voters out of 89 might were right!

Last edited:
Reactions: angusyoung

angusyoung

Back in the day, I was always horny!
Aug 17, 2014
Heirendaar
Well it's happened,so

jA93eA0kDxu4DfDgSv_oAVBMAJzC3c7WAWz20KC4LmM9YK5Js0vZiAXfT-FQuCwA9S0-_w-u-ELI3XogCl9LqM50ICpi1J8sVygkg99Njsj6i-1Cfgq-GBHNwNEqBnFmb_i99l9Z69ydaee1LBuSAiLCziqu7S62phQ

salbutera

Sep 10, 2019
Close this thread.

Then again will likely last 1-shift as Habs will need to rotate 5-Dman, after Mete is flattened like a pancake on his first shift

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad