Line Combos: When will Romanov play with Weber - The Poll.

When will we get Romanov next to Weber?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

malcb33

Apr 10, 2005
New Zealand
Honestly, he’s not ready. OTOH, Chiarot shouldn’t be there either.
So who is ready to play 1LD? Chariot has clearly shown he isn't ready either.

I understand not wanting to ruin Romanov by putting him over his head, but why not give him a chance at least? Webber has been average at best with Chariot this season, so why not play Edmunson and Petry as the top pair and put Webber and Romanov together for a bit. Reducing Webber's minutes may help him out too.

Last edited:

Kobe Armstrong

Jul 26, 2011
Since Petry is so clearly our #1 D this year it shouldn't be as big a step up as it normally would be. If Romanov plays with Weber our top--6 would look like

Edmundson-Petry
Romanov-Weber
Chiarot-Kulak/Mete

sandviper

No Ragrets
Jan 26, 2016
Toronto
So who is ready to play 1LD? Chariot has clearly shown he isn't ready either.

I understand not wanting to ruin Romanov by putting him over his head, but why not give him a chance at least? Webber has been average at best with Chariot this season, so why not play Edmunson and Petry as the top pair and put Webber and Romanov together for a bit. Reducing Webber's minutes may help him out too.

That’s fair, perhaps second pair is better but I think Romanov/Kulak is a completely suitable 3rd pair. It’s not like the Tsar has been a model of consistency and an anchor on the blue line this season. He’s had issues at times and I think he needs more seasoning before really putting him to the fire.

I think third pair with PP time is sufficient for this season. If we really want to help Weber, MB should be working that phone and capfriendly calculator and figure out how to get Ekholm over here.

malcb33

Apr 10, 2005
New Zealand
That’s fair, perhaps second pair is better but I think Romanov/Kulak is a completely suitable 3rd pair. It’s not like the Tsar has been a model of consistency and an anchor on the blue line this season. He’s had issues at times and I think he needs more seasoning before really putting him to the fire.

I think third pair with PP time is sufficient for this season. If we really want to help Weber, MB should be working that phone and capfriendly calculator and figure out how to get Ekholm over here.
I agree with you that Romanov has had some rough moments (all rookies do) but he’s also playing a more defensive role on his offside with Kulak.

I believe Romanov is already one of the better puck movers on D, which is an area Webber struggles with. Putting Romanov with Webber and giving him more offensive responsibilities (puck moving and supporting the rush) while Webber provides the stability and size could work out well for both of them.

Chariot and Kulak or Mete would still be a serviceable pair too. I honestly would prefer Mete with Chariot, as he’s better at transitioning the puck while Chariot helps him down low.

Spearmint Rhino

Sep 17, 2013
Gotta be this week, Dom’s played with the forwards but nothing on D and no way he can look at the Chiarot and Weber pairing and think that works. Dunno til you try

salbutera

Sep 10, 2019
Since Petry is so clearly our #1 D this year it shouldn't be as big a step up as it normally would be. If Romanov plays with Weber our top--6 would look like

Edmundson-Petry
Romanov-Weber
Chiarot-Kulak/Mete
Asking for big time trouble in giving Edmundson 1st pair TOI

malcb33

Apr 10, 2005
New Zealand
Asking for big time trouble in giving Edmundson 1st pair TOI

Worst trouble than with Chariot? Edmunston isn't a #1D either, he's clearly playing better (more stable, fewer mistakes and better outlet) than Chariot.

As I see it, right now, the roster doesn't have a #1LD on the team. I can understand and agree with not wanting to put Romanov in that position yet, but something has to give because Chariot is losing the team games with his constant penalties, poor coverage and trying to do too much offensively which leads to turnovers.

So unless there's a trade incoming, what the solution? Ouette? lol

Anyone that's watched can see that right now on LD it's: Edmunston > Romanov > Chariot > Kulak >/= Mete

Rapala

Mar 29, 2013
Montreal
I voted 50 - 56 provided we are firmly entrenched in a playoff position which we should be give how sad some of these teams are. Mete yes but Romanov no makes no sense to me at this point. At the very least we should try it on the PP once in a while. I remember how much better Weber looked when we moved Markov there after they had success on the PP. I also remember how good he looked initially with Mete until the latter's physical play started costing us. If I recall correctly he was leading the league in +/- about 10 games into the season. The main reason being the play from the backend was much faster.

Deebs

There's no easy way out
Feb 5, 2014
Romanov has been erratic/poor defensively for most of the year. His in zone play is like a timbits hockey player scattering around following the puck. He's continually out of position. Him and Kulak just shouldn't be together.

If the team won't change up the pairings, then we need to find a stable D man for the 3rd pairing via trade to help alleviate the confusion.

Rapala

Mar 29, 2013
Montreal
Romanov has been erratic/poor defensively for most of the year. His in zone play is like a timbits hockey player scattering around following the puck. He's continually out of position. Him and Kulak just shouldn't be together.

If the team won't change up the pairings, then we need to find a stable D man for the 3rd pairing via trade to help alleviate the confusion.

I don't buy this one bit. If he's erratic perhaps it's because we use him erratically?

Reactions: Runner77

Deebs

There's no easy way out
Feb 5, 2014
Moving him from LD to RD to LD to RD to LD to RD. He needs to remain on his strong side with a solid RD he can trust. If you want him to play RD perhaps you should first let him grow on his natural side.
Didn't he primarily play RD in the KHL? I agree though, pick a side.

Even so, his positioning is very poor and gets caught running around too much. I totally understand he's young and will need a couple years to learn the position, that's a given. What I'm getting at is as a team we're trying to make a run. One of he or Kulak need to make way for a better defender to help solidify that 3rd pairing if they are going to keep him there.

salbutera

Sep 10, 2019
I thought he might by game 35-40, but idea not ready, and likely won’t be this season. The solution will need to come from outside the org.

nhlfan9191

Aug 4, 2010
I’m sure we’ll see it at some point. If it was 2 years ago, it would’ve already happened. Weber isn’t capable of carrying a pairing anymore like he did with Mete, etc. Romanov makes a lot of rookie mistakes still so no point in him losing his confidence getting more minutes then he can handle.

BigDaddyLurch

Have some PRIDE, Eric...
Sponsor
Mar 1, 2013
Principle's Office
I’m sure we’ll see it at some point. If it was 2 years ago, it would’ve already happened. Weber isn’t capable of carrying a pairing anymore like he did with Mete, etc. Romanov makes a lot of rookie mistakes still so no point in him losing his confidence getting more minutes then he can handle.

...so the plan should be what then??...keep playing BrainRot there until we miss the playoffs or get absolutely destroyed in the 1st round??...

nhlfan9191

Aug 4, 2010
...so the plan should be what then??...keep playing BrainRot there until we miss the playoffs or get absolutely destroyed in the 1st round??...

This is what happens when you neglect the LHD position so badly for so long. I don’t want young players being forced into roles they’re not ready for, potentially damaging them because Bergevin doesn’t have the intelligence to find a capable stop gap to fill the role until Romanov is ready. I guess my solution would be trying hard to find a stop gap. Doesn’t mean we have to give up a ton on a guy like Ekholm. It wouldn’t cost a lot to find somebody whose at least better then Chariot at this point.

Treb

Global Flanderator
May 31, 2011
Montreal

Trade for a top4 LD and then either Seattle take Edmundson or we convince them to have a 2 for 1 of Byron and Chiarot.

If Emelin can be traded after the ED, so can Chiarot in his final contract year.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad