When will Rich Tocchet be fired (or otherwise cease being our head coach)?

When will RT stop being our coach?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

cobra427

May 6, 2012
Its obvious after this stretch, it won't be until after the season is over. Every reason to let him go in the past few weeks has been there, along with the 4th year of his contract and not much performance.

moosemeister

5,000 strong
Feb 15, 2010
Mesa, Arizona
It has to be during the off-season.

One of two things.

AM doesn’t want to pay two coaches.

Or BA has a coach in mind that he wants to hire but are under contract on another team.

I don’t see any way RT coaches here next season.

Reactions: Jakey53

ParisSaintGermain

Jan 19, 2004
This summer.

I am very much hoping that the coaching change will be combined with a major rework of the roster as, even if I think this team can play better, some of its flaws are just too great.

Reactions: Jakey53

Imaravencawcaw

Jul 19, 2018
It has to be during the off-season.

One of two things.

AM doesn’t want to pay two coaches.

Or BA has a coach in mind that he wants to hire but are under contract on another team.

I don’t see any way RT coaches here next season.
I'm sure BA is interested in Van Ryn.

Reactions: AZviaNJ

CoyoteDave

Dec 12, 2016
Cave Creek
AM is a businessman that takes underperforming assets and turns them around. He does that by initially cutting expenses. I don't think he has any intention to be paying 2 people for one job. Tocchet's contract will expire at which time a new coach will be hired.

XX

Waiting for Ishbia
Dec 10, 2002
PHX
AM is a businessman that takes underperforming assets and turns them around. He does that by initially cutting expenses. I don't think he has any intention to be paying 2 people for one job. Tocchet's contract will expire at which time a new coach will be hired.

Dismissing Tocchet and naming Housley or Varady interim costs nothing

87turbobuick

Jan 13, 2011
Phoenix
This team has very little talent, Buffalo with the same type of talent tried an awesome progressive who failed in less than 2 years. At least our team tries. The problem on this team is that they are soft, small and have " the native flu" syndrome. Tocchet has to go but I doubt a new coach will win more games until we change the skill level and size of our forwards. You can always coach system defence but scoring must come from the players.

Reactions: Bonsai Tree

XX

Waiting for Ishbia
Dec 10, 2002
PHX
In the sense that we wouldn't be spending additional money, yes. However, then we'd be paying Tocchet to not coach the team. As much as I'd like that, I'm not sure if AM would.

That money is already budgeted and spent. It's contractually gone.

AM has no business telling BA he can't let a coach go a month early. If he is genuinely blocking this then he is by far the largest hurdle the team will face in the summer.

Neighborhood Coyote

Sep 14, 2017
What I do know is that if Tocchet gets extended, I'm out. Straight up. Not gonna waste any more money (more than I should have at this point) or time on a team that would be ok with that BS. Yotes should at least TRY to get better. I'd consider that as Major League variety of move to lose purposefully.

If there is rebuilding (AGAIN), then he needs to be gone anyways. Wouldn't want him messing up yet another prospect.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
This team has very little talent, Buffalo with the same type of talent tried an awesome progressive who failed in less than 2 years. At least our team tries. The problem on this team is that they are soft, small and have " the native flu" syndrome. Tocchet has to go but I doubt a new coach will win more games until we change the skill level and size of our forwards. You can always coach system defence but scoring must come from the players.
We all know we need more talent, but I truly believe and new experienced and proven coach would do quite a bit better.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
Maybe BA doesn’t wanna fire Tocchet cuz he actually likes him and wants to try to extend him. Lol as much of a nightmare that would be I could see it
That's my worry as well. If you think about, almost any team GM would have fired their coach by now watching this mess.

Reactions: 0point1

SpaceCoyote

Jul 10, 2013
Wasting away
Given the amount of known internal issues with AM and staff, RT probably has a boat load of ammo against them which they fear he will unleash via a tell all news article as repercussion if fired.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
Given the amount of known internal issues with AM and staff, RT probably has a boat load of ammo against them which they fear he will unleash via a tell all news article as repercussion if fired.
I doubt it.

SniperHF

Rejecting Reports
Mar 9, 2007
Phoenix
It's pretty sad that almost none of a collection of die hard fans thinks the team (GM, Owner, whoever) has the sack to fire an obviously floundering head coach who is already on his last legs.

Any other team would have done it already, I'm pretty well convinced of this.

ParisSaintGermain

Jan 19, 2004
AM has no business telling BA he can't let a coach go a month early. If he is genuinely blocking this then he is by far the largest hurdle the team will face in the summer.

I don't think BA can fire RT without the Meruelo's green light.

Let's not forget about Doan also. I can really see him advising the Meruelo's that firing RT two months before the end of his contract would not be a good look.

Honestly, I think BA is fine waiting. I would not even be surprised if there was an agreement between all to wait till the end of RT's contract then BA can do whatever he wants this summer.

We just have to be a bit patient, but I am convinced that RT will be gone by next season.

CoyoteDave

Dec 12, 2016
Cave Creek
I had inquired on the mini-suite deals. When the marketing staff called I informed them that the team did not warrant me spending the money as long as Tocchet was coach. Haven't heard back from them.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad