• During season

Votes: 18 28.1%
  • After season

Votes: 46 71.9%

• Total voters

johnjm22

Pseudo Intellectual
Aug 2, 2005
He has one non-empty net point so far this season playing on the top line.

His value has never been lower, but there's a good chance it'll be lower after the next game. Then lower after the game after that, and so on.

Given that, he's probably still best advised to wait until the season's over, ask for a contract comparable to Stutzle, then after everyone stops laughing, sign a one-year prove-it deal and pray he finally turns things around next season.

I don't want to say "bust", yet, but he's actually worse than I thought he'd be when the Kings originally drafted him over Tim. What a disastrous pick for this team.
Hi.

Eagle Fang

Less Defending, More Offending
Oct 12, 2005
My biggest concern with Byfield has been his lack of hockey IQ at the NHL level, but he's looked pretty damn impressive the last few games (and pretty good overall early in the season). Starting to look more confident and creating more.

Really enjoy seeing him progress.

And I know it's kind of a joke, but I'm also in the camp that he's been legit robbed of at least 2 points so far.

Statto

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 9, 2014
Half of Kempe's 40+ goals last year were empty net goals, also this year his 2 goals are empty net.
So what's the point here?

If we start counting only game impact points, Kopitar scores 9 points per season.
Also Fiala has the Gretzky syndrome, where he is not part in any kind or shape of the game but still gets rewarded assists.

Those are the things i would look at first before blaming a youngster for not scoring the way you want it, being forced to play a style that goes against his natural abilities
3 regular season ENG’s for Kempe in 22/23.

Herby

Now I can die in peace
Feb 27, 2002
Michigan
3 regular season ENG’s for Kempe in 22/23.

Thank you for looking it up, come on Kurri, that is not a ton of eng's, it wasn't even the most on the Kings. No reason to tear down Kempe for 3 of them.

As for when to extend Byfield. I wouldn't hate a 7-8 year deal if the Kings could get a reasonable cap hit. He's not going to get what some others got (7m+) but maybe he would take the security of a 7x $5.5m. There is some risk on both sides for sure, but I just hate the 3 year contract and then having to pay him big money well into his 30's (which would happen if he's say a PLD caliber player at his peak).

Statto

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 9, 2014
Thank you for looking it up, come on Kurri, that is not a ton of eng's, it wasn't even the most on the Kings. No reason to tear down Kempe for 3 of them.

As for when to extend Byfield. I wouldn't hate a 7-8 year deal if the Kings could get a reasonable cap hit. He's not going to get what some others got (7m+) but maybe he would take the security of a 7x $5.5m. There is some risk on both sides for sure, but I just hate the 3 year contract and then having to pay him big money well into his 30's (which would happen if he's say a PLD caliber player at his peak).
6 the year before, I believe, but I got that from @All The Kings Men podcast, which I just finished listening to (also confirming 3 last year).

Reactions: All The Kings Men

KopitarGOAT420

Jan 30, 2020
USA
My biggest concern with Byfield has been his lack of hockey IQ at the NHL level, but he's looked pretty damn impressive the last few games (and pretty good overall early in the season). Starting to look more confident and creating more.

Really enjoy seeing him progress.

And I know it's kind of a joke, but I'm also in the camp that he's been legit robbed of at least 2 points so far.
And it's crazy to think that if he had been credited with those two assists he'd be up to 8 points in 9 games right now - Tied with Moore for 4th on the team in scoring.

I know those would've been 'lucky' assists for him - But I think it just goes to show the positive things he's been doing out there and how much he's been involved.

Just for fun, if he was sitting at 8 points in 9 games that would put him on pace for 72 points... Which I'm sure everyone would be ecstatic with. He's playing well and the points are starting to come. Even his current 55 point pace isn't too shabby at all.

tny760

Mar 12, 2017
Man he absolutely lost Klingberg with that little fake pass
funny how those simple coverage f***ups can be punished so quickly

klingberg being "smart" and jumping the cycle cost matthews his coverage and bang it's in the back of your net. seems like years it's been our guys getting punished for those, i'm glad it's the other team for a change

Reactions: Raccoon Jesus

Kurrilino

Go Stoll Go
Aug 6, 2005
Calgary

Not knocking on Kempe, he is one of the best wingers we have ever seen.
It's like 30 years ago that we had a 40 goal scorer.

Just told the people not to base points on approval of the way they were scored.

johnjm22

Pseudo Intellectual
Aug 2, 2005
Man he absolutely lost Klingberg with that little fake pass
funny how those simple coverage f***ups can be punished so quickly

klingberg being "smart" and jumping the cycle cost matthews his coverage and bang it's in the back of your net. seems like years it's been our guys getting punished for those, i'm glad it's the other team for a change
I thought Klingberg really lived up to his legendary "0% Defense" rating.

Leafshater67

Nov 2, 2019
Halifax
Byfield has arrived. If he’d take a 6m x 8y (doubt if), I’d go for it now. Otherwise, I’d hope for some regression and try to lock him up. He’s looked like a different r player this season and I’d want to lock him up and gamble that he will continue to improve.

I’m not sure what happened in the off-season but hell yeah! He’s much more confidant, driving play and looking like a damn good player.

kilowatt

the vibes are not immaculate
Jan 1, 2009
He gets his QO just before July 1st, and just like any other young RFA player, you negotiate a deal, likely in July. Let's see how much progress he makes before throwing around contracts.
We’re talking about Rob Blake here

Statto

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 9, 2014
Prior to the draft I spent hours looking at footage of Laf, Byfield and Stutzle. QB was may pick and I was worried that the Rangers would take him. How it all comes out who knows, but I’ve continually stood by my draft ranking for the top 3 and half expected Laf to fall outside of the top 3 due to the QMJHL factor.

Of course QB needs to score more goals but he’s now starting to show why he was drafted so highly and there is still a tonne of untapped upside. He has a great shot, he just needs to start feeling it again. However it needs to continue. It’s a small sample size but this sort of performance is what will take his belief up a level. I also think this sort of game helps further quash the BS IQ narrative that keeps getting spouted out, even now. As for contract, it’s highly unlikely to happen before the summer because right now his agent would be stupid to even take Blake’s calls.

Zegs2sendhelp

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2012
Byfield has arrived. If he’d take a 6m x 8y (doubt if), I’d go for it now. Otherwise, I’d hope for some regression and try to lock him up. He’s looked like a different r player this season and I’d want to lock him up and gamble that he will continue to improve.

I’m not sure what happened in the off-season but hell yeah! He’s much more confidant, driving play and looking like a damn good player.
If he signs 6x8 he’ll regret it within the first year.

Byfield is in a situation where a bridge makes a ton of sense…. Pld is a 2c, kopitar isn’t going to be around much longer…. Kings need/want byfield to be their future 1c.

I could see a bridge deal in the 5-6 range

Reactions: David Lunch

Nasti

Jan 30, 2006
Long Beach, CA
I’m guessing 2 or 3 years is what all parties are looking for. Byfield’s camp knows he’s improving and will make more in a couple years and the Kings need cap space. They’ll probably extend him until Kopitar’s deal is up.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad