When this tree fell in the forest, who noticed? (CBA & Lockout Discussion)- Part V

Status
Not open for further replies.

LadyStanley

Sep 22, 2004
Sin City
http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/nhl-p...-nhl-fans-200-things-love-214912956--nhl.html

Puck Daddy with some rants, including one from the military.

As a member of the US armed forces, I am greatly disappointed over the NHL's decision to pose a lockout on its players this year. These people are fighting over a few percentage points in a revenue split that adds up way more than I make risking my life defending my country. I'm not angry over the fact that greed has taken over intelligence in this matter. What bothers me is the potential of not having an NHL season when I return from my tour of duty in the Middle East.

MasterDecoy

Who took my beer?
May 4, 2010
Beijing
bothers me to no end when people insert the army card in any debate. the **** does that guy being in the army have to do with hockey?

danishh

Dec 9, 2006
YOW
I think the general way of doing this would be a hard cap of $70M cap until league revenues grow enough for the new percentage split to reach $70M with some additional twists rolled into that general idea (like once a team runs out of contracts that were signed before the lockout, they have to be under the new percentage cap).

Based on the "normal" growth of HRR, and the assumption that they end up with a 50/50 split, it should take about 3 years based on what I've read.

so, no linkage for the next few years?

the NHL will never agree to that.

Bored

Jan 13, 2008
I just have one question aimed at the players: Do you know what the difference between revenue and profit is?

I know its a basic look at the overall situation, but is probably the key concept being argued over. Record revenue doesn't equate to record profit. Hell it doesn't even guarantee any sort of profit if overheads are to high.

Krishna

Jun 15, 2010
New Jersey
I just have one question aimed at the players: Do you know what the difference between revenue and profit is?

I know its a basic look at the overall situation, but is probably the key concept being argued over. Record revenue doesn't equate to record profit. Hell it doesn't even guarantee any sort of profit if overheads are to high.

Most of the guys in the league don't seem to understand it. Just like a lot of posters on here don't seem to get it

WayneSid9987

Nov 24, 2009
This is so sad for me missing another season of Sid in his prime. Even more frustrating that he's ready to roll this time too.

I read that the make up and what constitutes HRR seems to be the "homework" the owners and PA are looking over before they get back together again which could be as early as Tuesday. If they finally define that, maybe we could make more progress here. That is the hope for me anyway.

If, after that gets settled, and the owners stick with a 50/50 and the PA won't budge, we will have to wait til theres cracks in the PA and the majority finally give in and get a deal done. Worst case scenario cuz that could take a full year.

Krishna

Jun 15, 2010
New Jersey
This is so sad for me missing another season of Sid in his prime. Even more frustrating that he's ready to roll this time too.

I read that the make up and what constitutes HRR seems to be the "homework" the owners and PA are looking over before they get back together again which could be as early as Tuesday. If they finally define that, maybe we could make more progress here. That is the hope for me anyway.

If, after that gets settled, and the owners stick with a 50/50 and the PA won't budge, we will have to wait til theres cracks in the PA and the majority finally give in and get a deal done. Worst case scenario.

Are they trying to rework the definition of HRR?

If I remember correctly, the NHL dropped the new definition of HRR for their last proposal

WayneSid9987

Nov 24, 2009
Are they trying to rework the definition of HRR?

If I remember correctly, the NHL dropped the new definition of HRR for their last proposal

Heres a piece from Grange which includes the HRR bit and a bit about the PA being ticked off about the Phoenix situation:

http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl-lockout/2012/09/29/nhl_lockout_phoenix_coyotes_hrr_nhlpa/

ETA: I shouldn't have said the actual meaning but things within the possible realm of HRR like a club building a practice rink and turning a profit on said rink, is that part of HRR or not etc.

Last edited:

ColePens

RIP Fugu Buffaloed & parabola
Mar 27, 2008
Pittsburgh
bothers me to no end when people insert the army card in any debate. the **** does that guy being in the army have to do with hockey?

Hate to agree - but yeah... that was pointless. It's the easiest card to pull, too. We understand you risk your life over there and respect that. What is has to do with the lockout??? Absolutely nothing. This is something we cannot throw out our personal stories on. This is a dispute that is between the PA and the NHL. Weak attempt at making people feel bad.

wombat

Nov 29, 2005

I'm not sure they do. My favorite talking point by the players, i.e. Lupul's piece, is talking about the NHL's record revenues over the span over the past CBA.

I guess they don't realize that in addition to record revenues, the NHL has had player expenses grow over the CBA as the cap has went from $39 million to $70 over the span of only 7 years.

BLONG7

Oct 30, 2002
Nova Scotia
Visit site
I'm not sure they do. My favorite talking point by the players, i.e. Lupul's piece, is talking about the NHL's record revenues over the span over the past CBA.

I guess they don't realize that in addition to record revenues, the NHL has had player expenses grow over the CBA as the cap has went from $39 million to $70 over the span of only 7 years.
Almost 1B in player expenses during that time, so almost 90% of the growth got taken up by their salaries...they don't have clue when it comes to anything regarding the business side of things, as long as they get their money...:shakehead

Coins

Feb 13, 2005
St. Louis
What are alternatives to a lockout? Why couldnt the teams play but no one gets paid except for the blue collar people that depend on the jobs at the arena. Owners dont see any money and neither do the players, but the fans get to see the games and the people who depend on NHL jobs get to pay their rent. All of the rest of the income could accumulate until an agreement is made.

Is that unreasonable?

ryangib

May 4, 2009
What are alternatives to a lockout? Why couldnt the teams play but no one gets paid except for the blue collar people that depend on the jobs at the arena. Owners dont see any money and neither do the players, but the fans get to see the games and the people who depend on NHL jobs get to pay their rent. All of the rest of the income could accumulate until an agreement is made.

Is that unreasonable?

You have a good heart but that is a horrendous idea.

LadyStanley

Sep 22, 2004
Sin City
HockeyBroph: Would things move along quicker if negotiations limited to one lawyer and 10 ex-players per side at table???

:laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh:

Parros leading the players side?

Butch 19

Go cart Mozart
May 12, 2006
Geographical Oddity
@drosennhl Steve Fehr said they did not discuss critical economic issues today "as was the plan." He said there is no meeting scheduled for Monday.

@KatieStrangESPN #CBA Day3 of labor talks btwn NHL/PA has finished. No plans to meet tmrw, per S. Fehr. League indicated they needed time to meet internally

Why is Steve Fehr even being mentioned? Is he officially part of the NHLPA management?? - or is he there just because his brother is the main counsel??

Imagine the threads if Bettman drug his little brother to all the CBA meetings and his brother made official announcements.

Krishna

Jun 15, 2010
New Jersey
Why is Steve Fehr even being mentioned? Is he officially part of the NHLPA management?? - or is he there just because his brother is the main counsel??

Imagine the threads if Bettman drug his little brother to all the CBA meetings and his brother made official announcements.

Him and Fehr are eading the NHLPA meetings

rdawg1234

Jul 2, 2012
IF not monday I hope they meet tuesday at least.

I still see no traction, it sounds like they got rid of 10% of the topics sure, but there's still the other 90% including massive topics like RS and HRR%.

Any progress is good progress but this little stuff wouldve taken a day or two tops even after the other stuff is settled on.

We begin losing games by the end of the week.

Dado

The owners argument essentially boils down to "we can only give you a higher payout if the league goes back to making less money".

Which is kinda whacky.

rdawg1234

Jul 2, 2012
The owners argument essentially boils down to "we can only give you a higher payout if the league goes back to making less money".

Which is kinda whacky.

Wanna clarify on that? I dont see this at all.

JoeLH

Oct 15, 2003
Visit site
The pie will get smaller if the regular season starts at a later date. The players have to try to make a last offer to get their best deal now. It will only get worse for them the longer it lasts.

kfan22

Jun 20, 2012
IF not monday I hope they meet tuesday at least.

I still see no traction, it sounds like they got rid of 10% of the topics sure, but there's still the other 90% including massive topics like RS and HRR%.

Any progress is good progress but this little stuff wouldve taken a day or two tops even after the other stuff is settled on.

We begin losing games by the end of the week.

We have already lost regular season games, the season is set to start in 11 days there is no way possible the season can start on time

JAX

Apr 7, 2009
Sault Ste. Marie

Is that unreasonable?

It's about as realistic as the PA making another offer......:shakehead

JAX

Apr 7, 2009
Sault Ste. Marie
The pie will get smaller if the regular season starts at a later date. The players have to try to make a last offer to get their best deal now. It will only get worse for them the longer it lasts.

Very true, but they have been brainwashed into thinking if they hold out for a long time the owners will cave and give Fehr whatever he wants....because that's what happened when Fehr worked for the MLB players.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino
    Wagers: 5
    Staked: $2,752.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Metz vs Lille
    Metz vs Lille