When the Oilers Will Make Playoffs

booyakasha

Oct 11, 2007
Edmonton, AB
This year....will finish 7th in the West.
Upset St. Louis in the 1st round, ...lose to Nashville in the 2nd round,

2016 will make it to the SCF, and lose to TB...use it a learning experience, and win it all in 2017, and onward.

bookmark this post.

McDeathbyCheerios*

2016 will make it to the SCF, and lose to TB...use it a learning experience, and win it all in 2017, and onward.

bookmark this post.
I like it.

voxel

Testicle Terrorist
Feb 14, 2007
Florida
The window starts next year because of the contracts of RNH/Ebs/Hall/Yak/McDavid... any later and we are burning up the "good years" of their deals. If we begin making the playoffs 3 years from now - that's failure. All the kids will be due for raises.

Spawn

Something in the water
Feb 20, 2006
Edmonton
They'll make the playoffs when they ice a defensive group that isn't bottom 10 n the league.

So it'll probably be awhile.

KeithIsActuallyBad

You thrust your pelvis, huh!
Apr 12, 2010
Calgary

bookmark this post.

Wouldn't 2016 be this season...?

Suxnet

Jan 4, 2012
They make the playoffs this season and not as a bottom seed either. Book it.

Suxnet

Jan 4, 2012
Love the optimism but with this D?

I firmly believe our team defense as a whole was garbage mainly because of Eakins' system. I think McLellan will really make a huge difference in that regard. Our actual defense isn't amazing, but I don't think it's as bad as everyone believes either.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
It would incredibly sweet to claim the "Cinderella" playoff berth in the West that Calgary and Colorado snatched up the two previous years, but for that to happen I believe

- McLellan has to get more specifically from Justin Schultz and Nikita Nikitin, at least so that they're decent players and he has to continue to push Klefbom's development to the next level.

- Talbot has to have a strong year, wouldn't hurt if Scrivens bounced back to his level of play when he first got here. We cannot have sub-.910 goaltending. Simple as that.

- Our PP has to kill teams.

If those three things can align for us, we could be in business, but those are still unknowns.

GretzkytoKurri9917

"LIVE LONG AND PROSPER"
Oct 6, 2008
Gotham City
Here's something interesting:

2009-10 Oilers Season(Year we drafted Hall)

Visnovsky-Gilbert
Souray-Grebeshkov
Whitney-Smid

2015-16 Oilers Season(Upcoming Season)
Sekera-Fayne
Klefbom-Schultz
Reinhart-Gryba

Which Defense Core do Fans think is better?

russ99

Jun 9, 2011
When they get serious about playing defensively as a unit. We're about two defenseman and one 2-way forward away from that still.

Jimmi McJenkins

Sometimes miracles
Jan 12, 2006
Alberta
Here's something interesting:

2009-10 Oilers Season(Year we drafted Hall)

Visnovsky-Gilbert
Souray-Grebeshkov
Whitney-Smid

2015-16 Oilers Season(Upcoming Season)
Sekera-Fayne
Klefbom-Schultz
Reinhart-Gryba

Which Defense Core do Fans think is better?

So Whitney and Visnovsky were on the same corps then?

BoldNewLettuce

Esquire
Dec 21, 2008
Canada
I think they have a good shot at getting into the top 10 in
Goals for. If they can gel and have a top pp. Which isn't too farfetched, optimistic but not far fetched.

Whether they can keep the puck out and stay healthy to a reasonable degree is a big question but I actually think it wont take much to get them in the playoffs.

GretzkytoKurri9917

"LIVE LONG AND PROSPER"
Oct 6, 2008
Gotham City
I think they have a good shot at getting into the top 10 in
Goals for. If they can gel and have a top pp. Which isn't too farfetched, optimistic but not far fetched.

Whether they can keep the puck out and stay healthy to a reasonable degree is a big question but I actually think it wont take much to get them in the playoffs.

That will be the question:

Goals against

1.Oilers 283
2.Buffalo 274
3.Arizona 272
4.Toronto 262
5.Dallas 260

8th Calgary 97 points
13th Edmonton 62 points

Being able to keep the Puck out of the Net will be the ultimate factor with how the Oilers perform this Season.

underdog

Jul 30, 2003
British Columbia
Visit site
If we can prevent 20 less goals and add 40 goals for, playoffs are possible. It's best if everyone continues to think otherwise as far as I'm concerned. 10 years no play offs would be sad.

Broilers

May 31, 2007
Bakersfield
I think they make the playoffs in the 2017-2018 season. There are still some major holes on defense and some question marks in the top 9. Not to mention, I have no idea how the goaltending situation is going to play out. With that being said, If the Oilers can acquire one of Seabrook/Byfuglien in the offseason then I think they will make it in next season.

That would be absolute disappointment. We need to make playoffs next year and compete for the cup 2017-18.

I would not rule out this year totally. If we can get a good start everything is possible. Then we need to trade for some veteran help to avoid mid season slump. Addition or two at the d-line.

Paralyzer008

Jan 30, 2008
Think it's not this year, but we filled holes.

If you go into next year with this skeleton:

Hall-McDavid-BLANK
Pouliot-RNH-Eberle
Lander-Draisaitl-Yakupov
Korpikoski-Letestu-Hendricks

Klefbom-Sekera
Nurse-BLANK
Reinhart-Fayne/Schultz
Ference (if stuck with him) or LaLeggia

Talbot
Nilsson/Brossoit/Laurikainen

Come summer time, you only have to fill your RHD top 4 hole (short term, because Reinhart may get in there eventually) and a veteran for McDavid.

Last edited:

Eyeseeing

Fagheddaboudit
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2015
Jets fan here
I really believe you guys will be very competitive and make it this year at the expense of the Canucks.
Good luck !

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad