Kings Vision: When should the Kings extend call-up net minder Pheonix Copley?

Given the situation in net how soon should the Kings extend call-up goaltender Pheonix Copley (3-1)?

• Total voters

FSL KINGS

May 10, 2021
I vote Kempe for backup goalie. Can play him on the wing if he's not needed that game. Carry 1 less player & save money on the cap.
:sarcasm:

Pucknut50

Jun 13, 2007
I think the mentality of players when a backup goalie in net is you need to be more aware of your positional play. As well as more conservative in approach. Another factor is the backup tends to play against lesser teams to give the starter a rest. I always say in the NHL all goalies can stop the first shot its how you manage rebounds and strength in net. Copley like most big goalies just Butterflies sits upright and takes as much of the net as possible. He kind of reminds me of Martin Jones.

DoktorJeep

B2B GM of the Summer Champion
Aug 2, 2005
OC
If you end the season with Copley as the clear #1, you extend him for a couple years for around $1.5M - $3.0M depending on how far the team makes it.

If he’s extended, you are pretty much stuck with rolling a Cop and Cal combo in net next year. Quick may latch on with another team, but if, after 82 games, he clearly loses the net to Copley, the writing is on the wall.

RayMartyniukTotems

Jul 8, 2022
With Copley's success and hopefully continued success it spells the end for Quicker to the land of retirement. Petersen has to be a King whether the Kings like it or not

kilowatt

the vibes are not immaculate
Jan 1, 2009
7-1 on the year, pretty good. 2.50 GAA, .911 SV% on the year after tonight's game.

AnThGrt

Feb 13, 2005
Park City, UT
Quick will be back next year, bank on it. Petersen on the other hand may not. He'll be part of a trade that will get them a LHD.
Would take 1st+ or 2 1sts to move that contract. They can do better yet maybe Petersen+Kupari+1st 23+2nd 24 <> Gavrikov. They have enough goalies though. Chychrun no chance they take Petersen or we can afford it. Would be 23+24+25 1st + Turcotte or similar. Asking price is 2 1sts and a good prospect. They will get it or close.

kingsfan28

Its A Kingspiracy !
Feb 27, 2005
Corsi Hill
Would take 1st+ or 2 1sts to move that contract. They can do better yet maybe Petersen+Kupari+1st 23+2nd 24 <> Gavrikov. They have enough goalies though. Chychrun no chance they take Petersen or we can afford it. Would be 23+24+25 1st + Turcotte or similar. Asking price is 2 1sts and a good prospect. They will get it or close.

ARZ is the bad contract boneyard of the nhl. Have you seen some of the bums they've traded for and taken on bad contracts? Petersen would instantly be their number 1 guy. I bet the kings would only have to eat part of his deal and not require a 1st unless its part of a bigger deal.

RayMartyniukTotems

Jul 8, 2022
Quick is an outright legend...best Kings goalie ever and there isnt a close 2nd by a country mile. Feel honored to watch him play in his prime and to this day so dont take my words here as a criticism by any stretch. If not for east coast bias we can only speculate at to how many more trophy nominations would he have received. I think we are all Quick homers to some extent.
You can't be serious about Quick and there not being a close 2nd. Obviously I could be wrong but I imagine you haven't been a Kings fans for more than like 20 years right. Cause us Oldtimers saw a HOF Rogatien Vachon carry the Kings from 1971-1978! Vachon all 5-7 of him was and still is the Kings best goaltender. Quick just happened to be with the Kings when they won their 2 Cups and of course he was very good/great in 2012 while winning the Conn Smythe Trophy

mysterman2

Jul 11, 2020
So Cal
You can't be serious about Quick and there not being a close 2nd. Obviously I could be wrong but I imagine you haven't been a Kings fans for more than like 20 years right.

Best goalie ever and there is no close 2nd. If you want to argue Quick played on better teams I can agree....but
lets look at the scoreboard....Quick is the leader in every conceivable goalie stat for a team known for having historically bad goaltending. If rogie just happened to be playing in this era it may have been rogie....but the facts are- he wasnt and quick was. There is no close second.

As for your 2nd sentence....yes you are wrong and I find it comical you are trying to argue on behalf of a guy whose last game as a King was a year before Pink Floyd released the Wall and Iran took hostages.

• Haha
Reactions: RayMartyniukTotems

Trash Panda

May 12, 2021
Don’t even bridge the conversation with him until June.

Journeymen backup goalies are dime a dozen. Let’s not be rash here.

Reactions: Schrute farms

Cianide

Under New Management
Jun 11, 2022
With Copley's success and hopefully continued success it spells the end for Quicker to the land of retirement. Petersen has to be a King whether the Kings like it or not
Can Petersens salary be dumped? If so do it. I don't see quick being out of the picture anytime soon and nor should he.

kingskring

Dec 3, 2012
TIL
There’s his unusual first name and its unique spelling. There’s the fact he lives in North Pole, Alaska. Then there’s his eyewear that makes him look remarkably similar to Superman’s alter ego.

Let’s sort out these questions so we can get to the essence of the 23-year-old who, along with Jordan Binnington, gives the Wolves perhaps the finest 1-2 goaltending combo in the American Hockey League.
Question 1: What’s with his rare first name and why are the vowels in the wrong order?

Before we explain that, we should explain this: Pheonix has an older brother named Navarone. Peter Copley and Mary Sanford, Pheonix’s parents, selected that moniker one day while leafing through Life magazine and seeing the name of Priscilla Presley’s son.

“Once you have a Navarone, it’s hard to have a Jeff or a Michael afterward,” Mary said.

When she was pregnant with Pheonix, one of her friend’s children visited their home and cracked open a book on Greek mythology. Mary and Peter loved the name Phoenix and the description of the mythical bird that radiated rays of pure sunlight. Peter, though, didn’t love its spelling.

“When I was young, I was taught, ‘When two vowels go walking, the first one does the talking,’ ” Peter said. “Pheonix made more sense to me.”

With that mystery solved, now it’s time to answer Question 2: Is Copley really from North Pole, Alaska? The town’s name raises eyebrows all year round, but even more at this time of year. Even Copley wondered if this story deliberately was planned for the holidays as a tie-in with North Pole (Editor’s note: It was not).

kingskring

Dec 3, 2012
A82D287E-079E-45B7-905E-8D75C107DBA3.jpeg

Surf Nutz

Hockey Remote Viewer With A Frozen Finger
May 16, 2022
In the tube
clubnami.com
This poll was initialized with the option for the poster to change their vote.

You stubborn and mouthy pucknuts.

I thought 9-1 was a freeway?

Nice frame grab @kingsring

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad