Kings Vision: When should the Kings extend call-up net minder Pheonix Copley?

Given the situation in net how soon should the Kings extend call-up goaltender Pheonix Copley (3-1)?

• Total voters

Raccoon Jesus

Todd McLellan is an inside agent
Oct 30, 2008
I.E.

Sure and Jones and Scrivens to some degree too, I'm thinking more of guys who played at an elite level for like 30-40 games then just burned the f*** out of the league altogether. I think Copley is more like those guys than a savior.

johnjm22

Pseudo Intellectual
Aug 2, 2005
Kings haven't historically just gotten a Hamburglar or Rittich coming out of nowhere due to relative stability at the position, Copley could be that guy. Of course the catch is what happens after, so may as well ride it until the wheels fall off. But I would not even breach the idea of a contract until much much later. Don't make him think.
Huet, Legace, Dafoe all came out of nowhere and were pretty good.

The problem is, good goaltending is fleeting when you don't have good team defense.

Copely has been solid, but eventually he'll breakdown if the Kings don't get their act together defensively and on the PK.

johnjm22

Pseudo Intellectual
Aug 2, 2005
Copley looks like Jacque Plante given Quick and Peterson looked like Dan Cloutier.
I know I'm a Quick homer, always defending his play, here I go again....

In the games Copley has played, the Kings for the most part have been better defensively. It's a small sample size. It's a coincidence. And that's a big reason why his numbers have been better.

Had Copely started against Toronto or Columbus, he would have got lit up just like Quick did.

Also, I think Quick has been much better Petersen. Stats and analytics be damned.

Reactions: Kings Fan 77

fivehole32

Kicking rebounds to the slot
Jan 11, 2015
Copley will be as easy to sign at the end of the season as he is now if they wanted. If they truly believed Cal and Quick are done for though, I'd suspect the move they'd have to make is far greater than merely signing Copely. He is certainly not the answer. He is a stopgap.

Copley = Erik Ersberg

mysterman2

Jul 11, 2020
So Cal
I know I'm a Quick homer, always defending his play, here I go again....

In the games Copley has played, the Kings for the most part have been better defensively. It's a small sample size. It's a coincidence. And that's a big reason why his numbers have been better.

Had Copely started against Toronto or Columbus, he would have got lit up just like Quick did.

Also, I think Quick has been much better Petersen. Stats and analytics be damned.

Quick is an outright legend...best Kings goalie ever and there isnt a close 2nd by a country mile. Feel honored to watch him play in his prime and to this day so dont take my words here as a criticism by any stretch. If not for east coast bias we can only speculate at to how many more trophy nominations would he have received. I think we are all Quick homers to some extent.

Last edited:

Raccoon Jesus

Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
Quick is an outright legend...best Kings goalie ever and there isnt a close 2nd by a country mile. Feel honored to watch him play in his prime and to this day so dont take my words here as a criticism by any stretch. If not for eaat coast bias we can only speculate at to how many more trophy nominations would he have received. I think we are all Quick homers to some extent.

I mean look no further than his own idol, Mike Richter, and how revered he is out there. Imagine if Quick was NYR all his career instead of LAK. He's already surpassed Richter.

The Butcher

Mammoth Mooseknuckles Hockey
Sponsor
Mar 6, 2011
Mammoth Lakes
I just want whoever is playing net to have earned it. If Copley is outplaying the other options he needs to play. No bringing up Cal because he's got the contract.

I think it's hard for quickie to get up for games before February. I think he will start getting his game turned around for bigger games down the stretch.

Reactions: Raccoon Jesus

johnjm22

Pseudo Intellectual
Aug 2, 2005
In football there's a saying:

The backup quarterback is the most popular guy in town.

SherVaughn30

Jan 12, 2010
Los Angeles
Are you sure you're not Blake? This is essentially the same crazy reasoning that resulted in the Cal contract.
Copley is a 30 year old career minor leaguer who is on a nice little run for us and its appreciated.
Correction. He backed up Braden Holtby for 27 games in '18-'19 with the Caps. Copley has paid his dues and getting his chance to run with it now.

I think in a best case scenario, Copley gets a 2 year extension for $1.5 million per year.

Reactions: kinghock

Seattle King

Aug 19, 2022
Correction. He backed up Braden Holtby for 27 games in '18-'19 with the Caps. Copley has paid his dues and getting his chance to run with it now.

I think in a best case scenario, Copley gets a 2 year extension for $1.5 million per year.
I am not trying to say Copley isnt a good tender. I like the guy's size and his poise and calm in the net. A really interesting contrast to Quick who is too dramatic in his movements and gets caught sometimes. For whatever reason, in a small sample, Copley is finding the puck much better than our two other guys have and we should let it play out. I call him a career minor-leaguer because in essence that is what Copley has been, with 237 AHL games and only 35 NHL appearances at age 30. But sometimes those career minor-leaguers pull a Peter Budaj or a Hamburglar and go on a huge run that carries the team.

Surf Nutz

Hockey Remote Viewer With A Frozen Finger
May 16, 2022
In the tube
clubnami.com
Thank you to those who voted and commented,
However, I am surprised by the reaction here by the normally panicky posters on this board.
If I am Copley. the more starts I get, success I have the more I utilize my UFA status and wait and see who offers me the most and maybe I don't even resign with the Kings. As Mike McK pointed out he has the style, build and control most teams rely on these days. And it has worked in the admittedly small sample size. I understand that with Cal's contract, buyout cost and Blake's statements he will most likely be given more opportunities with the Kings no later than training camp next year.
This leaves me with a host of questions.
Do you believe the Kings had some of the worst goaltending in the league this season?
Do you believe the Kings goaltending pipeline is in sufficient shape?
Are there any other netminders in the pipeline that could be a backup or starter, replacing Copper, JQ or Cal next season?
Do you think Copley will be sent back down to the AHL this season?
If so are you concerned about Copley being claimed on waivers if so, by another team?
Are you concerned with Copley not resigning with LA and waiting until summer to see how many offers he gets and potentially signing elsewhere?
Do you resign Quick and how much do you offer him if so?
Are you concerned about Quick retiring or resigning with a different team next season?
What will Blake do with Quick?
Do you call Cal back up from the AHL?
If so do you send Quick or Copley back down?
Are you concerned about Quick being claimed on waivers if you attempt to send him down?
Why are so many posters throwing ship fits about defense and the forwards to a lesser extent but seem so unconcerned about the Kings goaltending future and present?
How many Stanley Cups, do the Kings have without Quick's goaltending in the playoffs of 2012 and 2014?

There are some great posters here and I look forward to hearing from the ones that don't take out their frustrations on other posters.
In this case take your best guess at these questions and the future, because obviously there is a large degree of evaluation and to be determined decisions for the Kings between now and the start of next season, especially in figuring out the top four goaltenders including the Kings and Reign.
Thank you and Happy Holidays.

Last edited:

Surf Nutz

May 16, 2022
In the tube
clubnami.com
Sure and Jones and Scrivens to some degree too, I'm thinking more of guys who played at an elite level for like 30-40 games then just burned the f*** out of the league altogether. I think Copley is more like those guys than a savior.
Didn't the Kings ride those guys and either trade them for other assets or they chose to resign with other teams? To me the Kings have nothing suitable in net and Copley is a bird in the hand, whose price is currently going up.

Statto

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 9, 2014
Thank you to those who voted and commented,
However, I am surprised by the reaction here by the normally panicky posters on this board.
If I am Copley. the more starts I get, success I have the more I utilize my UFA status and wait and see who offers me the most and maybe I don't even resign with the Kings. As Mike McK pointed out he has the style, build and control most teams rely on these days. And it has worked in the admittedly small sample size. I understand that with Cal's contract, buyout cost and Blake's statements he will most likely be given more opportunities with the Kings no later than training camp next year.
This leaves me with a host of questions.
Do you believe the Kings had some of the worst goaltending in the league this season?
Do you believe the Kings goaltending pipeline is in sufficient shape?
Are there any other netminders in the pipeline that could be a backup or starter, replacing Copper, JQ or Cal next season?
Do you think Copley will be sent back down to the AHL this season?
If so are you concerned about Copley being claimed on waivers if so, by another team?
Are you concerned with Copley not resigning with LA and waiting until summer to see how many offers he gets and potentially signing elsewhere?
Do you resign Quick and how much do you offer him if so?
Are you concerned about Quick retiring or resigning with a different team next season?
What will Blake do with Quick?
Do you call Cal back up from the AHL?
If so do you send Quick or Copley back down?
Are you concerned about Quick being claimed on waivers if you attempt to send him down?
Why are so many posters throwing ship fits about defense and the forwards to a lesser extent but seem so unconcerned about the Kings goaltending future and present?
How many Stanley Cups, do the Kings have without Quick's goaltending in the playoffs of 2012 and 2014?

There are some great posters here and I look forward to hearing from the ones that don't take out their frustrations on other posters.
In this case take your best guess at these questions and the future, because obviously there is a large degree of evaluation and to be determined decisions for the Kings between now and the start of next season, especially in figuring out the top four goaltenders including the Kings and Reign.
Thank you and Happy Holidays.
I think a lot comes down to how Petersen progresses. If they get to the point of wanting to give Cal a shot they could do so during a home stand and carry 3 n/m before deciding if they send Copley back down.

No chance Quick is waived, Blake is never (nor should he) do something that would be seen as a slap in the face. It’ll be between Petersen and Copley and I’m sure the organisation would prefer to be able to get Cal back on track given his contract, so that’s definitely going to be plan A. I don’t think they need to decide about next season until they know their play-off fate.

Surf Nutz

May 16, 2022
In the tube
clubnami.com
I think a lot comes down to how Petersen progresses. If they get to the point of wanting to give Cal a shot they could do so during a home stand and carry 3 n/m before deciding if they send Copley back down.

No chance Quick is waived, Blake is never (nor should he) do something that would be seen as a slap in the face. It’ll be between Petersen and Copley and I’m sure the organisation would prefer to be able to get Cal back on track given his contract, so that’s definitely going to be plan A. I don’t think they need to decide about next season until they know their play-off fate.
Good stuff, I agree. Is Quick getting resigned. Best guess, right now?
When the Ducks came into the league Ron Wilson used a three headed monster in net to propel a bare bones roster. Hardly ever seen it since. I liked it but I understand it is not the practical approach in a normal situation.

Raccoon Jesus

Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
Didn't the Kings ride those guys and either trade them for other assets or they chose to resign with other teams? To me the Kings have nothing suitable in net and Copley is a bird in the hand, whose price is currently going up.

Which is fine, because Copley isn't the long-term solution either, so if you like him and can sign him short term and cheap, great. If someone overpays him in FA (see Campbell, Kuemper) then great, Kings shouldn't.

Statto

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 9, 2014
Good stuff, I agree. Is Quick getting resigned. Best guess, right now?
When the Ducks came into the league Ron Wilson used a three headed monster in net to propel a bare bones roster. Hardly ever seen it since. I liked it but I understand it is not the practical approach in a normal situation.
Best guess yes, but I’d expect it to be as a backup. If he’s coming back as no1 or 50/50 then we are in trouble. The target should be about 30 games. The question is/should be the other 52 games.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad