When should the Flyers buy out Lecavalier?

renberg

Dec 31, 2003
Lewes Delaware
forums.hfboards.com
I read that last year there was a player ( I think that it was a Devil) who reached a mutually agreed upon buyout with is team. If this type of option is out there, perhaps Hextall and Vinny can sit down and work one out. If VL was a FA, I doubt if any team would offer him even a minimal deal with his play being what it has become.

DrinkFightFlyers

THE TORTURE NEVER STOPS
Sponsor
Sep 24, 2009
NJ
Eh, just let'r eat. Trade him or stash him in the minors for some cap relief (albeit not the full amount) or hope he retires. I don't see the team making any huge splashes in free agency, and they should be able to re-sign their core guys without any issue with VL there. If there looks like there's going to be an issue, then buy him out. Otherwise, just kick back and wait him out.

LegionOfDoom91

Jan 25, 2013
Philadelphia, PA
The Flyers will have some guys likely losing their waiver eligibility going into next year so Hextall may feel like he needs the extra roster place just in case.

CanuckistanFlyerfan

May 10, 2005
Is this the league worst, post-salary cap era deal?

I can't think of a worse player making this much money.

Was Wade Redden's deal before the cap? Obviously Yashin and DiPietro were two of the worst contracts all-time.

Next to the Islanders, the Flyers signed some of the dumbest deals of all time. Leino, Rathje, Gratton, MacDonald, Lecavalier, did I miss any?

The Rangers used to be guaranteed to sign a couple useless players per year. Maybe not so many colossal failures, but they made up for it with quantity.

Leino? Leino was good for Philly....Buffalo gave him the stupid contract. Rathje was fine til he was injured.

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
I'm curious about waiving him. I figured Vinny would not invoke the NMC if another team claimed him. I guess the issue would be that if that happened, he'd be defenseless against being waived again and sent to the minors.

CanadianFlyer88

Knublin' PPs
Feb 12, 2004
Van City
Is this the league worst, post-salary cap era deal?

I can't think of a worse player making this much money.

Was Wade Redden's deal before the cap? Obviously Yashin and DiPietro were two of the worst contracts all-time.

Next to the Islanders, the Flyers signed some of the dumbest deals of all time. Leino, Rathje, Gratton, MacDonald, Lecavalier, did I miss any?

The Rangers used to be guaranteed to sign a couple useless players per year. Maybe not so many colossal failures, but they made up for it with quantity.

The horrible deal that Leino signed was with Buffalo, not Philly.

Not sure why you listed Gratton, either.

Eh, just let'r eat. Trade him or stash him in the minors for some cap relief (albeit not the full amount) or hope he retires. I don't see the team making any huge splashes in free agency, and they should be able to re-sign their core guys without any issue with VL there. If there looks like there's going to be an issue, then buy him out. Otherwise, just kick back and wait him out.

Why keep him around, though? The Flyers currently have millions of dollars sitting in the press box. Might as well buy him out now that he has clearly shown that he can't contribute positively in the NHL any longer instead of having millions of dollars sitting in the press box for two more seasons after this.

There is not one reason I can think of that would make sense for keeping him around through 2018.

PALE PWNR

Jul 10, 2010
Sewell NJ
I doubt he gets a guarenteed contract but I wouldn't be surprised if someone gave him a PTO during the preseason.

Aren't PTO's unpaid? And do you really think if a team even gave him one that he'd be able to earn a roster spot ANYWHERE? The only hope Vinny has of ever playing on an NHL roster as a regular is going to an expansion team that is starting from scratch and is scraping the bottom of the barrel for talent.

FlyersFan61290

Jul 13, 2010
Philadelphia
I think it depends on how things shake out ultimately with Schenn, the D and Gagner but if things turn out the way I think they will, it'll probably be most prudent to buy him out June of 2016. It would be awesome if they could make it work until June 2017 but I'm not sure if I see that happening.

Larry44

#FlyersPerpetualMediocrity
Mar 1, 2002
I think it depends on how things shake out ultimately with Schenn, the D and Gagner but if things turn out the way I think they will, it'll probably be most prudent to buy him out June of 2016. It would be awesome if they could make it work until June 2017 but I'm not sure if I see that happening.
Should have been 2015. He's an anchor they can't afford to have around.

LegionOfDoom91

Jan 25, 2013
Philadelphia, PA
Aren't PTO's unpaid? And do you really think if a team even gave him one that he'd be able to earn a roster spot ANYWHERE? The only hope Vinny has of ever playing on an NHL roster as a regular is going to an expansion team that is starting from scratch and is scraping the bottom of the barrel for talent.

I don't think he would make it but it gives him one last shot elsewhere which I believe is what he's looking for.

I just don't see the guy willingly walking away from his contract & quite frankly I don't blame him. A buyout is likely the best course of action here for Vinny.

Gert B Frobe

Nov 18, 2003
Chester County
The horrible deal that Leino signed was with Buffalo, not Philly.

Not sure why you listed Gratton, either.

Why keep him around, though? The Flyers currently have millions of dollars sitting in the press box. Might as well buy him out now that he has clearly shown that he can't contribute positively in the NHL any longer instead of having millions of dollars sitting in the press box for two more seasons after this.

There is not one reason I can think of that would make sense for keeping him around through 2018.

I forgot Buffalo gave Leino the stupid deal and I listed Gratton because he got $10,000,000 to score 70 points.

Alpha Couturier
Feb 28, 2005
Chester, UK
Why don't we send him down during all this? I know we can't bury the cap hit but we can bury SOME of it can't we? It gives us a bit more wiggle room with call-ups too.

SolidSnakeUS

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 13, 2009
Baldwinsville, NY
Why don't we send him down during all this? I know we can't bury the cap hit but we can bury SOME of it can't we? It gives us a bit more wiggle room with call-ups too.

NMC clause means we can't send him down or trade him without his consent basically.

JustJim

Feb 20, 2012
Paignton,UK
Lecavalier is such a huge waste of space.....

Hextall has been trying to off load his worthless carcus from the roster since taking over from the franchise's worst GM of all time. No other team has a tiny bit of interest in Lecavalier, so the Flyers organisation are locked into honouring his pointless contract.
Too bad they can't simply cut this bum and let him drift off to whomever would be desperate enough to employ him.
When I see him on the ice, he is just a wasted spot, unable to pass or shoot with any effitiency, and he is worthless on the PK or PP.
Thanks Holmgren.....you suck!!

Alex91

Sep 12, 2014
This year I think the brass thought there was a 30% chance of him being effective. Plus every day he is still on the team is better long term. However next year has to be a different story. There is 0% Vinny helps us in any way next year. He isn't going to play another game as a starter. He is a last minute replacement and that's it. Every team knows this and no one will ever trade for him without unloading something worst. And the only player I can think of is Clarkson. Buy his ass out and make RJ take his place next year as expensive press box bum

Embiid

On early summer vacay
May 27, 2010
Philadelphia
Flyers were coming off a debacle year not making the playoffs and not being able to sign Suter, Parise or Weber. They wanted some secondary scoring but to me it was the flashy PR ploy (big name) that was more a catalyst to the signing. They just didn't do their homework enough.... similar with the Bryz signing and it's become a very very expensive and irritating mistake.

BillDineen

Former Flyer / Extinct Dinosaur Advisor
Aug 9, 2009
I know they have said he has been a good teammate and all, but I think he is a cancer on this team. The players have heard of his complaints in the media and see his drifting on the ice. He must be viewed as an etitled *****.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad