When should the Flyers buy out Lecavalier?

JVR21

Jan 27, 2010
This summer, obviously. The dude is a joke of a hockey player at this point. This isn't even one of those instances of a past star slowly declining as he ages. He might actually be the worst player in the league. If he had a cap hit of $0 he would still be a waste of a roster space.

Appleyard

Mar 5, 2010
Copenhagen
twitter.com
Summer 2016. And it will be massively beneficial for the team:

2016-17: $1.583 cap savings
2017-18: $2.083 cap savings
2018-19: $0.917 cap loss
2019-20: $0.917 cap loss

Considering the guy is not really even a 14th forwards, and completely irrelevant to the team he does not even need replacing with another player... so the savings are not compromised at all.

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
He can't be here past this season. His presence is a distraction. It has to end.

Stizzle

Feb 3, 2012
I still think he'll quit at some point before next season starts. It's a really screwed up blinking contest between him and Hextall.

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
I still think he'll quit at some point before next season starts. It's a really screwed up blinking contest between him and Hextall.

It's tainted 2 years of Flyers hockey. I hate it so much.

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
I voted 2016. With Vinny off the team the Flyers could carry 13 forwards and call up forwards from the AHL as necessary.

Leier
Fazleev
Lindblom (hopefully)
NAK
Martel
Bardreau
Goulbourne

He Is Knocking

Jul 1, 2015
This guy can't be gone soon enough . It turns my stomach thinking he may suit up again. He brings nothing positive to the table. I voted June 2016 and hopefully the Flyers make the rest of this year difficult.
Vinny is selfish, knows he can't and never has lived up to the contract. He owes big apologies to Berube, Vinny is hockey garbage.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
I go with 2016, if you do that, and move Streit, L Schenn and maybe Schultz, you can live with MacDonald for a year or two until his contract is affordable to buy down in a trade. Same with Umberger, who at least can play, he's overpaid as a 3rd/4th line guy but at least is usable.

markzab

Sep 6, 2005
Philadelphia, PA.
I don't think he retires leaving money on the table so this summer.

This. He's taking a hit against his ego, but that doesn't mean he's a fool. This could very well be his last professional hockey contract (in the NHL). He needs to get as much money as possible and think about his future. No way he retires.

LegionOfDoom91

Jan 25, 2013
Philadelphia, PA
This. He's taking a hit against his ego, but that doesn't mean he's a fool. This could very well be his last professional hockey contract (in the NHL). He needs to get as much money as possible and think about his future. No way he retires.

A buy-out still gives him possibly once last chance with another team too.

I just don't see the cons outweighing the pros for Vinny in this situation. Hextall has more to lose by not buying him out this summer.

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
Meltzer reported he planned to retire after the 16-17 season when he signed the contract, but I doubt that's his plan anymore. He doesn't want his career to end as a healthy scratch.

Gert B Frobe

Nov 18, 2003
Chester County
Is this the league worst, post-salary cap era deal?

I can't think of a worse player making this much money.

Was Wade Redden's deal before the cap? Obviously Yashin and DiPietro were two of the worst contracts all-time.

Next to the Islanders, the Flyers signed some of the dumbest deals of all time. Leino, Rathje, Gratton, MacDonald, Lecavalier, did I miss any?

The Rangers used to be guaranteed to sign a couple useless players per year. Maybe not so many colossal failures, but they made up for it with quantity.

Last edited:

markzab

Sep 6, 2005
Philadelphia, PA.
Is this the league worst, post-salary cap era deal?

I can't think of a worse player making this much money.

Was Wade Redden's deal before the cap? Obviously Yashin and DiPietro were two of the worst contracts all-time.

Next to the Islanders, the Flyers signed some of the dumbest deals of all time. Leino, Rathje, Gratton, MacDonald, Lecavalier, did I miss any?

ilya-bryzgalov.jpg

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad