When is the last time we saw the Blues A game?

TheDizee

Trade Jordan Kyrou ASAP | ALWAYS RIGHT
Apr 5, 2014
Was it during their winning streak in January or even before that?

I can honestly say the last time I saw the Blues play a game and was like "wow they brought it tonight" was the 4-1 home victory against the caps in November I believe. Every other game since then they have not been playing a complete 60minutes.

So what do you think, when is the last time we saw the Blues show up with their A Game

TheDizee

Apr 5, 2014
November? No way.

6-3 win vs. Tampa on February 12th at least.

even that game, remember how late in the 3rd it was a close game and the blues needed a big PK to secure the win? Thats what I mean, they continue to let teams back into games when they have these huge leads (2+ goals). Did it vs van, LA etc.

There are a few wins where I thought we brought our "A Game" but they all seem to be earlier in the season, (wins over ANA/WSH come to mind).

people continue to say they are saving themselves for the playoffs but honestly this is something that will continue to happen if they dont address it soon. its not like they have a lightswitch they can just flip on, they need to start putting together 60 minute performances and it needs to start saturday in toronto.

BlueDream

Aug 30, 2011
even that game, remember how late in the 3rd it was a close game and the blues needed a big PK to secure the win? Thats what I mean, they continue to let teams back into games when they have these huge leads (2+ goals). Did it vs van, LA etc.

There are a few wins where I thought we brought our "A Game" but they all seem to be earlier in the season, (wins over ANA/WSH come to mind).

people continue to say they are saving themselves for the playoffs but honestly this is something that will continue to happen if they dont address it soon. its not like they have a lightswitch they can just flip on, they need to start putting together 60 minute performances and it needs to start saturday in toronto.
Tampa's a good team, those of you expecting the Blues to be able to dominate them for 60 full minutes is actually... impossible.

Edgar Carrow

The Misshapen Steed
Oct 12, 2013
Blackwater Park
I'm all about efficiency. I prefer it when they win games while putting in only 20 minutes of effort. I think this is some great evidence for how good this team actually is. We all acknowledge that they haven't been performing all that well for the past few weeks, yet they are 9-6-1 since February. They have been winning games even though they aren't performing as well as we know they can. And really, there's no point in overextending yourself when you can cruise in to a playoff spot. Let's wait to see how they perform in the playoffs before we start to write them off as a bad team.

TheDizee

Apr 5, 2014
I'm all about efficiency. I prefer it when they win games while putting in only 20 minutes of effort. I think this is some great evidence for how good this team actually is. We all acknowledge that they haven't been performing all that well for the past few weeks, yet they are 9-6-1 since February. They have been winning games even though they aren't performing as well as we know they can. And really, there's no point in overextending yourself when you can cruise in to a playoff spot. Let's wait to see how they perform in the playoffs before we start to write them off as a bad team.

that is a fair point but it is worrying because as i said, there is not a lightswitch that they can simply turn on. coming down the stretch now i would really like to see effort being put on display, especially in 1 goal games.

Edgar Carrow

The Misshapen Steed
Oct 12, 2013
Blackwater Park
that is a fair point but it is worrying because as i said, there is not a lightswitch that they can simply turn on. coming down the stretch now i would really like to see effort being put on display, especially in 1 goal games.

Why not? People do this type of stuff all the time in all walks of life. It's a matter of prioritizing goals, which at this point is to make it to the playoffs with a healthy, invigorated team able to give 100% for a run at the Cup.

However, if their recent efforts aren't a result of a conscious effort to preserve energy for the playoffs, then sure, they are probably going to run in to problems unless they can figure out what the problem is.

BlueDream

Aug 30, 2011
I think there is a "lightswitch."

Playoffs are a whole different animal. The Blues lost 6 straight last season and then looked fine in the playoffs. The Kings seem to turn it on every year.

The Blues will be fine. This "60 minute effort" thing is a bunch of ******** that doesn't matter. The Blues are probably realizing that the regular season is pretty meaningless and that's why they aren't even trying their hardest. I'm glad they finally figured it out.

RR10*

I think there is a "lightswitch."

Playoffs are a whole different animal. The Blues lost 6 straight last season and then looked fine in the playoffs. The Kings seem to turn it on every year.

The Blues will be fine. This "60 minute effort" thing is a bunch of ******** that doesn't matter. The Blues are probably realizing that the regular season is pretty meaningless and that's why they aren't even trying their hardest. I'm glad they finally figured it out.
LA often bring their A-game in the regular season too. You can see glimpse of what they are capable of. In Blues case they have a team that can win regular season games even when they play bad. Except that won't work in the playoffs. Can't just hit a switch and expect some great hockey. In LAs case they show their A-game a lot more.

2 Minute Minor

Hi Keeba!
Jun 3, 2008
Temple, Texas
That pair of San Jose games felt like the A-game. I think the Tampa game is definitely a good example, too.

But we haven't seen it much without Shattenkirk. However, I also don't feel like the team is burning itself out right now. I think they have a pretty decent chance at challenging past Nashville for the division without having to sell out and being broken down by the playoffs.

Ranksu

Crotch Academy ftw
Sponsor
Apr 28, 2014
Lapland
Can somebody count how many games Blues have played when everyone has been fully heatlhy?

timtindall

May 10, 2013
st. louis
Is it me or has the 4th line been playing more for a while? It's nice to win and get a lot of confidence, but it wouldn't be good to get worn out or hurt before the playoffs. Once we secure a playoff spot I'd give Lehtera less minutes so he can recoup for the playoffs. Tarasenko reminds me of Pujols when he was off for a bit and had to change his swing to get back on track. Tarasenko needs to tweak his shot just a little to get scoring again. He's just been missing by a little. So when the playoffs come the team will bring the heat.

byfuglien

Mar 23, 2014
Europe
Lots of points this season, but havnt peaked for more then maby a month. The SOB line sucked the first half of the season, and now the STL line is invisible. Stastny-line hasn't really impressed a whole game so far either.

And you know what? I LOVE IT! We are on course to a playoff spot and have not preformed at our highest potential yet, well, and thats something new!

I just hope things come toghether and that we are injury free come the post season. Then we can strike as an underdog, not as a president trophy winner with tons of preassure.

2 Minute Minor

Hi Keeba!
Jun 3, 2008
Temple, Texas
Doesn't matter. In terms of health in comparison to the rest of the league, we have been very healthy. We have the 5th fewest man games lost to injury of any team in the league this year

http://www.mangameslost.com/nhl-man-games-lost-tmitt-and-chip-march-5-2015/

While that's true, I think the Blues' injuries have been more from key players than most teams. How many teams lost their starting goalie for a significant duration? Or their Norris-pace defenseman to surgery?

I'm not complaining, just pointing out that "man-games lost" oversimplifies things. The Blues great depth has kept the ship from sputtering much at all, regardless of who is in and who is out. Armstrong deserves a lot of credit for that.

StLHokie

May 27, 2014
North Carolina
While that's true, I think the Blues' injuries have been more from key players than most teams. How many teams lost their starting goalie for a significant duration? Or their Norris-pace defenseman to surgery?

I'm not complaining, just pointing out that "man-games lost" oversimplifies things. The Blues great depth has kept the ship from sputtering much at all, regardless of who is in and who is out. Armstrong deserves a lot of credit for that.

The Blues have done a fairly decent job based on the injuries they've had, and of the teams that lost significant players to injury, the Blues may in fact be performing the best. There are teams that have been hit much worse than the Blues though, with Columbus being the best example. Bobrovsky has missed almost twice as many games as Elliot did, and has missed up and comer Ryan Murray on the defensive side for 48 games this year. More of their top guys, like Anisimov and Letestu have also missed significant time. Boston has a similar situation as well, in which Chara and Krejci have missed a whole lot of games. Anaheim has been without Perry for 15 games this year as well. NYR lost Lundqvist, and the Hawks have now lost Kane.

I was just trying to point out that every team has to deal with injuries. The fact of the matter is, Cup winning teams find ways to win without their top players in the lineup.

Apr 30, 2012
St. Louis, MO
Good teams find a way to win during the regular season, but the playoffs are a whole different animal. Missing a top player or two during the playoffs would be really difficult to overcome.

CaliforniaBlues310

Apr 9, 2013
San Pedro, CA.
If we are conversing energy and actually have that "lightswitch" to where we can automatically play like we did against SJ, I feel bad for whoever we play. Especially if we're fully healthy.

Brian39

Apr 24, 2014
The Blues have done a fairly decent job based on the injuries they've had, and of the teams that lost significant players to injury, the Blues may in fact be performing the best. There are teams that have been hit much worse than the Blues though, with Columbus being the best example. Bobrovsky has missed almost twice as many games as Elliot did, and has missed up and comer Ryan Murray on the defensive side for 48 games this year. More of their top guys, like Anisimov and Letestu have also missed significant time. Boston has a similar situation as well, in which Chara and Krejci have missed a whole lot of games. Anaheim has been without Perry for 15 games this year as well. NYR lost Lundqvist, and the Hawks have now lost Kane.

I was just trying to point out that every team has to deal with injuries. The fact of the matter is, Cup winning teams find ways to win without their top players in the lineup.

Which is exactly what this team has been doing. This team has 'found a way to win' 40 out of 64 games. We are one of only 6 teams that have hit the 40 game mark, and have played fewer games than the other 5 teams that have done it.

I don't care how many times this team has brought its A game. We are finding ways to win. For the last 2 years this entire fan base has repeated the mantra that playoff success is the only thing we care about. Tons of people have criticized Hitch for focusing too much on the Presidents Trophy and leaving the team out of gas for the playoffs. Tons of people have pointed to LA and Chicago's strategy of cruising through the regular season and elevating their play in the playoffs. I have heard the term 'finding another gear' more times than I can count. Why are we suddenly terrified that the Blues are doing exactly what the last 3 Cup winners have done?

Brian39

Apr 24, 2014
LA often bring their A-game in the regular season too. You can see glimpse of what they are capable of. In Blues case they have a team that can win regular season games even when they play bad. Except that won't work in the playoffs. Can't just hit a switch and expect some great hockey. In LAs case they show their A-game a lot more.

I completely disagree with almost everything you have said about the Kings. I have rarely seen their A game this year. However, assuming that they do bring their A-game often, your analysis doesn't make sense.

They are currently out of the playoffs, have lost more games than they have won and have a goal differential of +8 (exactly league average). If they bring their A-game often, the only way to achieve these extremely pedestrian results is if they also bring their F-game just as often. Isn't this a perfect example of flipping a switch from bad to great play?

Either you can in fact flip a switch when you need to, or the Kings aren't bringing their A-game more than the Blues. You just can't have it both ways.

BlueDream

Aug 30, 2011
Which is exactly what this team has been doing. This team has 'found a way to win' 40 out of 64 games. We are one of only 6 teams that have hit the 40 game mark, and have played fewer games than the other 5 teams that have done it.

I don't care how many times this team has brought its A game. We are finding ways to win. For the last 2 years this entire fan base has repeated the mantra that playoff success is the only thing we care about. Tons of people have criticized Hitch for focusing too much on the Presidents Trophy and leaving the team out of gas for the playoffs. Tons of people have pointed to LA and Chicago's strategy of cruising through the regular season and elevating their play in the playoffs. I have heard the term 'finding another gear' more times than I can count. Why are we suddenly terrified that the Blues are doing exactly what the last 3 Cup winners have done?
Totally agree. If the Blues are still a top 6 team in the league without "bringing their A game", then when they DO bring their 'A' game in the playoffs, they should dominate. I love that we can still win without using so much energy like in the past.

I completely disagree with almost everything you have said about the Kings. I have rarely seen their A game this year. However, assuming that they do bring their A-game often, your analysis doesn't make sense.

They are currently out of the playoffs, have lost more games than they have won and have a goal differential of +8 (exactly league average). If they bring their A-game often, the only way to achieve these extremely pedestrian results is if they also bring their F-game just as often. Isn't this a perfect example of flipping a switch from bad to great play?

Either you can in fact flip a switch when you need to, or the Kings aren't bringing their A-game more than the Blues. You just can't have it both ways.
Also agree here. As Blues fans our views are a little skewed because the Kings and Blackhawks do get up for the games against the Blues and play their best. But against a lot of other teams in the regular season, they really don't.

TheDizee

Apr 5, 2014
they def brought their A game tonight. maybe i inspired them ;)

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad