Post-Game Talk: When is 10.5 Million Worth More than 22 Million? Habs beat Leafs 3-1 in Game 7!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

MasterDecoy

Who took my beer?
May 4, 2010
Beijing
The leafs played fine. They just couldn’t solve price. And they played well despite missing Tavares. There isn’t much they need to do. Continue to develop Sandin. Replace Thornton and Simmonds with some more agile players and they will be fine.

everyone over reacts after elimination. The leafs don’t need to. Their only flaw was they couldn’t beat the best goalie in the world. You do not need to overhaul your club because of that.

They conceded 13 goals in 7 games. They don't have many issues.
When you build a team where 4 players take up half your cap, losing one to injury is gonna hurt your team. that’s the danger you run when you build a top heavy team. It’s a feature, not a bug.

sandviper

No Ragrets
Jan 26, 2016
Toronto
When you build a team where 4 players take up half your cap, losing one to injury is gonna hurt your team. that’s the danger you run when you build a top heavy team. It’s a feature, not a bug.

This is true, and can explain why they lost game 1. We can also argue they won game 2 for their captain, quite handily as well. They go on to win the next two, with game 4 being a statement game.

Not to say losing JT wouldn’t hurt, but they were cruising through 4 games. Issues were more than losing Tavares. I get they lost Muzzin in game 6 was huge, for sure, but games 5 to 7, we were basically rolling 4 defencemen.

We also lost key defensive players in Lehkonen and Evans early on, Merrill after game 5. They aren’t JT and Muzzin, I know. However, they really should had put us away.

I agree with you they are top heavy, and depth is an issue when you build a team like that. That said, 1 goal combined from two top-5 scorers in the league is unacceptable.

Kriss E

May 3, 2007
Jeddah

Meh, the Leafs were still the better team, it's not like they were outplayed.

Reactions: Surfer72

Kriss E

May 3, 2007
Jeddah
In Game 7, they were outplayed...we were the better team with both of our season's on the line...
I don't think we were better, we played well, most of it was defending but if not for Price making all those amazing saves we would have easily lost.
It's not like we controlled the pace of the game, dictated the play, and dominated them with tons of scoring chances where Campbell had to stand on his head.

Yesterday was pretty even, our strategy was clear, very tight checking and heavy stick work, clog the neutral zone, one man forechecking and be opportunistic. That worked well for us but how much is skewed by Price robbing the Leafs quite a few times.

Reactions: Surfer72

JianYang

Sep 29, 2017
In Game 7, they were outplayed...we were the better team with both of our season's on the line...

It was a gradual process.

In game 5, the habs finally started getting some clean breakouts through the neutral zone, and those kept increasing in game 6. By game 7, you couldn't even think that it was the same series anymore with how much easier it was for the habs to penetrate the neutral zone and opposing blueline.

The leafs kept coming back when the habs would get ahead and go into a shell mindset, but it's crazy to see how this series evolved from game 1 to 7.

sandviper

No Ragrets
Jan 26, 2016
Toronto
I don't think we were better, we played well, most of it was defending but if not for Price making all those amazing saves we would have easily lost.
It's not like we controlled the pace of the game, dictated the play, and dominated them with tons of scoring chances where Campbell had to stand on his head.

Yesterday was pretty even, our strategy was clear, very tight checking and heavy stick work, clog the neutral zone, one man forechecking and be opportunistic. That worked well for us but how much is skewed by Price robbing the Leafs quite a few times.

Keefe said it today I believe, and I’m paraphrasing, where Toronto were actually confused. Montreal took it to them in games 5 and 6, which the Leafs had said they weren’t ready for. Game 7, they prepped for the Habs onslaught but instead they got a more counter punching Habs team which they didn’t expect.

Price was solid, and made some key saves, especially the nice one off his shoulder, but he actually didn’t have to stand on his head like other times in this series. Our team showed up for 50 minutes (that 10 minute turtle game in the 3rd was concerning) which helped.

Kriss E

May 3, 2007
Jeddah
Keefe said it today I believe, and I’m paraphrasing, where Toronto were actually confused. Montreal took it to them in games 5 and 6, which the Leafs had said they weren’t ready for. Game 7, they prepped for the Habs onslaught but instead they got a more counter punching Habs team which they didn’t expect.

Price was solid, and made some key saves, especially the nice one off his shoulder, but he actually didn’t have to stand on his head like other times in this series. Our team showed up for 50 minutes (that 10 minute turtle game in the 3rd was concerning) which helped.

I think people don't realize the full extent of Price's dominance. He makes very tough save look routine so we don't realize how incredible those are. Just the way he was able to track the puck and his crease movement, it was insane. I don't think I've ever seen a goalie be so remarkably technically sound. Roy, Brodeur and Hasek, are considered the 3 GOATs but they were very flashy, Price is on another level with his technical skills.
I think the Habs did a very good job defending but when you have a team with that offensive power like the Leafs, they'll get their chances. Price was there to shut those off.

Reactions: holy and dinodebino

Dondini

Apr 28, 2010
I miss the good ol days when leafs fans were starting round 3 series against Carolina threads, after game 4 of the first round. ‘Twas a simpler time.

BlackStar

Aug 12, 2010
I've been a fan of the Habs as soon as I watched the first Habs game on Saturday night--days after I moved from Ghana to Montreal. That was 1997, and I was just 10 years old.

For almost 20 years, even after I moved to Toronto, I rarely missed a game. That, shockingly, changed in 2016 after Bergevin finally killed my passion for the Habs. I never imagined that I would be apathetic about Habs games. I used to rarely miss games, now I rarely watch games. I've become just a casual fan of the Habs. I've been waiting for Bergevin to be fired before I could invest my time and heart into the Habs again.

I've accepted that isn't going to happen anytime soon, at this point.

However, with all that said--the Habs eliminating the Leafs is maybe exactly what I needed to reignite my commitment to my Habs.

For the first time in a long time, I'm looking forward to the next Habs game. And I've missed this website a lot.

*I'm still hoping Bergevin gets fired. I mean come on. :laugh:

Saxon

Mar 9, 2015
20210601_205454.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad