Speculation: When Hell Freezes Over: What happens when we're healthy?

McDrai

Mar 29, 2009
Hall - Gagner - Yakupov
Joensuu - RNH -Eberle
Perron - Gordon - Hemsky (closest thing we have to a checking line)
Smyth - Arcobello - Gazdic
Acton, Brown

This. Was going to put the same lineup

Lay Z Boy GM

Sep 8, 2010
Vancouver
Wasn't Gagner actually doing well on the draw before Kassian mangled his jaw?

I'm hoping Gordon has a similar effect to Adam Oates when he played with us briefly years ago. Guys like Stoll and Horcoff seemed to improve drastically on faceoffs after spending some time with Oates. I really, really hope that Gordon can teach our centers a thing or two about faceoffs.

IMO guys like Stoll and Horcoff owe a lot of their careers to Oates. If they never got good on the draw they would have made half the $$$ they ended up making in the NHL.

Oct 30, 2011
Wasn't Gagner actually doing well on the draw before Kassian mangled his jaw?

I'm hoping Gordon has a similar effect to Adam Oates when he played with us briefly years ago. Guys like Stoll and Horcoff seemed to improve drastically on faceoffs after spending some time with Oates. I really, really hope that Gordon can teach our centers a thing or two about faceoffs.

IMO guys like Stoll and Horcoff owe a lot of their careers to Oates. If they never got good on the draw they would have made half the $$$ they ended up making in the NHL.

it would be nice if that happened, but if Gagner finishes with 40%+, that would probably be good enough for him to be successful.

Replacement*

Checked out
Apr 15, 2005
Hiking
How can you take Arco out at this point?

Smart player fill but without playing with stars he's not getting this kind of performance or production. The experiment is interesting and a long time coming.

That said, and I've stated this many times, its lunacy to have eggs all in one basket lines. For instance to have the kidline, RNH, Eberle, Hall, together is an absolute waste of resouces on one line. ALL have been around long enough that they should be expected to coexist, and continue to produce with lesser linemates.

The star packed line is an ill advised birds in one hand play and should normally be avoided at all costs. Spreading the offense around through 3 lines thus defeating line matching is the much better ploy.

look at the way Pens use Crosby and Malkin. Not comparables at all, and those guys can carry lines, but thats a blueprint for eventual expectations regarding first overall picks.

Eakins seems to be slowly getting this.

The Perfect Human*

Perron RNH Hemsky
Gagner Gordon Yakupov
Hall Arcobello Eberle
Joensuu Acton Jones

decma

Feb 6, 2013
In 108 even strength minutes so far this season, RNH has 0 pts.
This on the heels of last season when he managed only 2G and 11A in 624 ES minutes.

Over that period (last season plus this season to date), he has lower ES productivity (as measured by goals or points) than Arco, Gagner, or Gordon (or, for that matter, Hall, Eberle, Hemsky, Perron, Yakupov, or Smyth).

At even strength, he is scoring about 3 goals and 18 assists per full season (80 games of ES 15 minutes).

I would guess that is among the worst ES productivity of any top 2 C in the league.

When Gagner returns, unless things have changed signficantly by then, I would be inclined to have Gagner on the top line (ES).

BoldNewLettuce

Esquire
Dec 21, 2008
Canada
What happens when we're healthy?

Asteroid-ending.jpg

pancirios

Nov 1, 2006
I would have it

Hall RNH Eberle
Perron Gagner Hemsky
Smyth Gordon Yakupov
Joensuu Arcobello Jones

I think those lanes are pretty decent

This is exactly what we should be running. No more of that terrible 4th line. I would play Yakupov with a bit more skill.

Hall Arcobello Perron
Yakupov RNH Eberle
Joensuu Gagner Hemsky
Smyth Gordon Jones

Gordon shifts up and down in the lineup for defensive zone starts.

Sloth Slothersons*

Hall RNH Gazdic
Smyth Gagner Yakupov
Joensuu Arco Hemsky
Perron Gordon Eberle

or

Yakupov RNH Perron
Joensuu Gagner Eberle
Hall Arco Gaz
Smyth Gordon Hemsky

4 scoring lines. Two lineups dependent on whether Perron and Yak play their off wings or not

Peen

Rejoicing in a Benning-free world
Oct 6, 2013
As a canucks fan, I'm wondering what's up with arcobello?

Is he just a case of right place, right time? He's only two assists back of Big Joe and henrik for #2/#3 in the NHL right now lol.

Still DRAI

Jun 15, 2013
As a canucks fan, I'm wondering what's up with arcobello?

Is he just a case of right place, right time? He's only two assists back of Big Joe and henrik for #2/#3 in the NHL right now lol.

Some of it is undoubtedly right place/right time, but he's long been touted as a highly-skilled if under-sized player. It's worth noting that he looked better between Hall and Eberle than RNH did in the lockout season in the AHL.

I'd say it's true that he definitely lacks a high-level shot (hence 0 goals), but he's a talented playmaker (hence the PPG+ rate he's been providing assists at).

Peen

Rejoicing in a Benning-free world
Oct 6, 2013
Some of it is undoubtedly right place/right time, but he's long been touted as a highly-skilled if under-sized player. It's worth noting that he looked better between Hall and Eberle than RNH did in the lockout season in the AHL.

I'd say it's true that he definitely lacks a high-level shot (hence 0 goals), but he's a talented playmaker (hence the PPG+ rate he's been providing assists at).

Great... now we need to do that with schroeder!

On the team side, is the general consensus from oiler fans the same? You guys have the skill guys in place? Just need to add the grit, let the defensive prospects develop, and find a goalie?

I was routing for dubnyk... shocked he's come out this badly.

It'll get there soon. Really believe you guys have had a good start to the rebuild. Playoffs & Cups will come soon enough. (Hopefully after the canucks get one cup though.)

Cheers.

Mr Sakich

Mar 8, 2002
Motel 35
vimeo.com
last night, I checked nhl.com. It turns out we are 5th in the league in face off percentage. I would like that to continue even though it appears there is not correlation between face off percentage and winning.

when gagner comes back, he should be a winger until arco proves he is not an nhl player.

Hall - RNH - Yak
Perron - Arco - Eberle
Smyth - Gordon - Gagner

Valic

BOOOOOOOOOO
Jun 12, 2007
Canada
Hall - Gagner - Hemsky
Yakupov - RNH - Eberle
Jonesuu - Arcobello - Perron
Smyth - Gordon - Jones

Yeah I like Penalty kilers instead of face punchers.

Roof Daddy

Apr 1, 2008
I have no idea why some would be willing to send Arco down. The guy has been great and gives the most consistent effort of anyone on this team. Sad statement when (one of) our most willing hitters is 5'8 and 170, but he has been just that. Would be fine in a 4th line role when we're healthy. This is my lineup:

Hall-Gagner-Yak
Perron-Nuge-Ebs
Smyth-Gordon-Hemsky
Joensuu-Arco-Acton
Gazdic, Brown

5 centers in the lineup is ideal so that we're never taking a defensive zone draw without 2 centers on the ice. Allows you to cheat more (less worried if you get waived). Brown or Gazdic inserted if needed.

Jamie

Mar 2, 2002
Victoria, BC
Visit site
Perron-Nuge-Gagner
Hall-Arcobello-Eberle
Yakupov-Gordon-Hemsky
Smyth-Acton-Jones

I for one felt Yak was far more effective playing the LW last game. On the right side he kept exposing himself and losing the puck - he naturally protects it better on the LW from what I saw. Putting him with Gordon/Hemsky also gives him a great playmaker to set his one-timer up and a very responsible center that can make up for his mistakes.

Arcobello, thus far, has earned the right to stay in the lineup.

EDIT: and if Joensuu can play RW I'd swap him in for Jones.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad