When Food Goes Bad...

Colt.45Orr

Mar 23, 2003
Canada
Pie and Soup are just bad, bad, baaaaad.

Great character guys.

Bad hockey players.

What do you do when 2 of the coaches favourites are slower, older, more useless versions of themselves but the coach cannot (will not?) see it?

The GM should have chucked them in the offseason but now we are in a more delicate situation.

Ferlin looked really effective (8 hits his first game) but it didn't take Julien long to get him out of the line-up and make sure he had his uber vets in. I like Talbot, but the other 2 have spent the majority of the season hurting us more than helping us.

Is it the GM's job --at this extreme point-- to step in and "help" Julien make some line-up decisions. I believe it would be the first time ever, but Chia's tenure may be coming to an end and he could step in now ...or never.

Are their plausible line-ups (when Krejci/Connolly come back) that save us from this, or is it just wishful thinking?

Would our GM ever step in and tell Julien to sit them?

BruinDust

Aug 2, 2005
Pie and Soup are just bad, bad, baaaaad.

Great character guys.

Bad hockey players.

What do you do when 2 of the coaches favourites are slower, older, more useless versions of themselves but the coach cannot (will not?) see it?

The GM should have chucked them in the offseason but now we are in a more delicate situation.

Ferlin looked really effective (8 hits his first game) but it didn't take Julien long to get him out of the line-up and make sure he had his uber vets in. I like Talbot, but the other 2 have spent the majority of the season hurting us more than helping us.

Is it the GM's job --at this extreme point-- to step in and "help" Julien make some line-up decisions. I believe it would be the first time ever, but Chia's tenure may be coming to an end and he could step in now ...or never.

Are their plausible line-ups (when Krejci/Connolly come back) that save us from this, or is it just wishful thinking?

Would our GM ever step in and tell Julien to sit them?

They should of been the 2 compliance buyouts back in the summer. Instead we got Merlot version 2.0(Gagne), and now 3.0(Talbot).

If Chia wants to save his job(and Julien's) he needs to force Julien to sit these two, preferably next game if Krejci is ready. Get Ferlin back in. Kid did nothing to warrant being scratched for these two scrubs.

There are some great line-ups Julien could ice that doesn't include these two(or Talbot for that matter).

It is wishful thinking to see anything but a line-up that includes at least one of Campbell or Paille. At least with Paille there is hope Julien would scratch him as he has before.

I have no hope Campbell is taking one step inside the press box.

The best we can hope for is a line-up where Campbell is a winger who takes some face-offs for Soderberg/Spooner much like Kelly does now.

whatsbruin

Feb 27, 2002
Central, NY
Is it just coincidence that the recent losing streak started with the insertion of
Campbell in the line up, and the removal of Ferlin ?

Johnmbs1962

Jun 25, 2014
I think Chiarelli and Julien have become a toxic combination...... I can see both having success apart if they were fired but I don't believe they will have success together on this team again.......

wetcamelfood

Aug 19, 2007
Only way Chia can fix this (and even then, it's not for this year) is not re-sign these 2 this summer and say "tuff" to Claude if he whines about not having anyone but kids anymore (which isn't true, since he'll still have Kelly, Talbot, etc.). I guess we'll see then how much Chia bows down to Claude's demands.

RedBruin

Jul 4, 2010
Germany
Ferlin looked really effective (8 hits his first game) but it didn't take Julien long to get him out of the line-up and make sure he had his uber vets in. I like Talbot, but the other 2 have spent the majority of the season hurting us more than helping us

Yup. Don't get it either Colt, those few games with Ferlin and Kelly on the 4th the line actually looked quite alright, buzzing, hitting everything in sight, solid enough in their own end. I'm fine with Talbot in there as well. Granted, small sample size, and I do like Paille especially, but still, good games by them are few and far between. Still remember the days when Merlot could've passed as the third line on many other teams, those times won't come back tho.

sarge88

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 29, 2003
Yup. Don't get it either Colt, those few games with Ferlin and Kelly on the 4th the line actually looked quite alright, buzzing, hitting everything in sight, solid enough in their own end. I'm fine with Talbot in there as well. Granted, small sample size, and I do like Paille especially, but still, good games by them are few and far between. Still remember the days when Merlot could've passed as the third line on many other teams, those times won't come back tho.

Playoffs (Fingers Crossed!)

Soderberg - Krejci - Pastrnak
Marchand - Bergeron - Connolly
Looch - Spooner - Eriksson
Talbot - Kelly - Ferlin

I like what Pastrnak & Spooner have done together, but they are just too risky defensively to keep together in the playoffs.

I like the balance above, even though some guys are playing out of position.

Each line has a little speed & someone who is defensively responsible.

OutspokenMinority*

i repeat - lumping Pie and Soupy together simply because they're on the same line is lazy.

Paille produces more almost every single shift. Campbell on the other hand looks like somebody's pity play. Like the coach's son. Not the same. Not close.

Silva

Nov 23, 2005
Massachusetts

Talbot - Kelly - Ferlin

I like what Pastrnak & Spooner have done together, but they are just too risky defensively to keep together in the playoffs.

Love this lineup, particularly the absence of smith. I'd consider flip flopping pasta and Connolly

sarge88

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 29, 2003
i repeat - lumping Pie and Soupy together simply because they're on the same line is lazy.

Paille produces more almost every single shift. Campbell on the other hand looks like somebody's pity play. Like the coach's son. Not the same. Not close.

I agree, but Paille isn't exactly lighting it up. Bad turnover last night caused a goal against.

That being said, I wouldn't be devastated if he played in the playoffs, but I'd also rather see Talbot or Ferlin, and definitely don't want to see Spooner or Pasta lose time, once Krejci and Connolly are healthy.

sarge88

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 29, 2003
Love this lineup, particularly the absence of smith. I'd consider flip flopping pasta and Connolly

I wouldn't have a problem with that.

IMO, provided they are all healthy, that's the 12 forwards that should be playing.

trenton1

Bergeron for Hart
Dec 19, 2003
Loge 31 Row 10
Outside of a few good games Paille has been mostly ineffective and Campbell looks to be playing injured or worse. How good will a line ever be if the center is so beat down? I think Campbell is the main problem with this line and has been for the bulk of this season. Paille tends to rise and fall with the tide. I want Kelly to center this line when Krejci and or Connolly is back.

LSCII

Cup driven
Mar 1, 2002
Central MA
People saying that PC should step in and protect Julien from himself are correct. I've been saying this for a long time now. However, since it hasn't apparently happened yet, doesn't that mean PC at least tacitly agrees with what Julien is doing regarding the roster and TOI? At this point, I don't think the issue is that PC needs to talk to Julien about the lineup. I think the problem is that they're in lockstep with what's happening and they both lack the clarity of judgement needed to right the ship.

OutspokenMinority*

I agree, but Paille isn't exactly lighting it up. Bad turnover last night caused a goal against.

That being said, I wouldn't be devastated if he played in the playoffs, but I'd also rather see Talbot or Ferlin, and definitely don't want to see Spooner or Pasta lose time, once Krejci and Connolly are healthy.

ok, but even then i'd disagree. Paille is a forechecking machine who brings great physicality and speed, and who tends to play better as a playoff run goes deeper. he's a solid piece (certainly for a 4th line role) on any team.

campbell just plain sux. might get picked last in beer league at this point. too much? ok, but the point stands.

EverettMike

FIRE DON SWEENEY INTO THE SUN
Mar 7, 2009
Everett, MA
twitter.com
Chiarelli is Homer eating the footlong for a couple of weeks, and as a result he can't go to Duff Gardens.

c0c4f8926510ebbd8bb532cafa6fc007.jpg

Colt.45Orr

Mar 23, 2003
Canada

Trying to defend Paille's play this year is just homerism. 50+ games without a goal is impressive, even for him BUT the kicker is all the terrible decisions he has made this year that are uncharacteristic for him. His turnover last night (that led directly to an Ottawa goal) was not something we have seen from him very often in his career here.

He used to have such a long, beautiful stride that caused pressure as he quickly closed space on defenders. It isn't his fault --time catches everyone-- but for a guy who based his game on superb skating... it is a long fall down.

SPV

Zoinks!
Sponsor
Feb 4, 2003
New Hampshire
hfboards.com

Talbot - Kelly - Ferlin

I agree about Spooner & Pasta. I don't think we need to bench Smith though; i'd keep him in the lineup in place of Ferlin here. and I'd swap Soda & Looch. Spooner between the two swedes is a great idea though.

We need to see some shake up sooner rather than later. They are running out of time.

OutspokenMinority*

Trying to defend Paille's play this year is just homerism. 50+ games without a goal is impressive, even for him BUT the kicker is all the terrible decisions he has made this year that are uncharacteristic for him. His turnover last night (that led directly to an Ottawa goal) was not something we have seen from him very often in his career here.

He used to have such a long, beautiful stride that caused pressure as he quickly closed space on defenders. It isn't his fault --time catches everyone-- but for a guy who based his game on superb skating... it is a long fall down.

his play was down significantly this year. he reverted to fumblitis and crest shots. i agree. but he still is one of the fastest on the team and he uses it every game, and has been consistently physical. i don't see the downturn in skating ability really at all.

that play the other night was bad, but it's an exception even in this down year. he's generally still very reliable.

BruinDust

Aug 2, 2005
Only way Chia can fix this (and even then, it's not for this year) is not re-sign these 2 this summer and say "tuff" to Claude if he whines about not having anyone but kids anymore (which isn't true, since he'll still have Kelly, Talbot, etc.). I guess we'll see then how much Chia bows down to Claude's demands.

Claude should of been told "tuff" this year. The writing was on the wall for these two after the Hab series.

Sadly if Claude is still around a year from now we'll be having the same discussions regarding Kelly and Talbot as we are having about Paille and Campbell today.

All four of these guys are dinosaurs in today's NHL. Much like the enforcer, the era of the "veteran 30 year old 3rd-4th line grinder" are slowly coming to a close. This is more and more a young mans game now. Mostly for the same reasons as the enforcer going the way of the dinosaur, they can't skate well enough for today's game.

BigGoalBrad

Jun 3, 2012
Its a disgrace that Campbell is still allowed to play.

I passionately hate him right now through the remainder of his time as a Bruin since I can't accept someone that bad is being allowed to play in the NHL and hurt my team and his feelings are more important than missing the playoffs. Jacobses would rather burn millions than hurt Gregs feelings by sending him to the press box or Providence. Once he is off the team I will wish him the best and try and remember him up through 2013 and not after.

I liked him up until this year too and its not really his fault the coach wont bench or punish him for awful play. Shame he has to be loathed by a fan base who once relly liked him I know plenty of others are beyond frustrated and feel the same way.

Absolutely no coincidence that a player who's NHL royalty and whose grandfather once ran the league gets this treatment though.

BigGoalBrad

Jun 3, 2012
Claude should of been told "tuff" this year. The writing was on the wall for these two after the Hab series.

Sadly if Claude is still around a year from now we'll be having the same discussions regarding Kelly and Talbot as we are having about Paille and Campbell today.

All four of these guys are dinosaurs in today's NHL. Much like the enforcer, the era of the "veteran 30 year old 3rd-4th line grinder" are slowly coming to a close. This is more and more a young mans game now. Mostly for the same reasons as the enforcer going the way of the dinosaur, they can't skate well enough for today's game.

Absolutely. Its why the GM and Coach combo can't stay in place they are too stubborn.

WhalerTurnedBruin55

Fading out, thanks for the times.
Oct 31, 2008
Chiarelli is Homer eating the footlong for a couple of weeks, and as a result he can't go to Duff Gardens.

c0c4f8926510ebbd8bb532cafa6fc007.jpg

Thank you for reminding me of this great episode! And making a great analogy.

Campbell hasn't looked NHL grade most of the season. And Daniel "Stone Hands" Paille reminds us why he should never be above the 4th line.

Campbell should be sitting. And I'm ok if Paille does, too. Especially if Kelly and Talbot are in the lineup, we have 2/3 of our 4th line right there.

BruinDust

Aug 2, 2005
Absolutely. Its why the GM and Coach combo can't stay in place they are too stubborn.

I was a Chia and Clode supporter but I've changed my tune, they both gotta go now.

Claude will live and die with his veteran dinosaurs, if he has them on his roster their playing, regardless of their play, end of story.

With the Talbot acquisition Chia clearly doesn't have his finger on the pulse of the league and where this game is headed, otherwise he wouldn't of made the trade to bring in ANOTHER veteran plug who can't skate and has minimal skill.

wintersej

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 26, 2011
North Andover, MA
I'd be shocked if Campbell didn't find his way to the press box when Krejci/Connolly are back.

And yes, I know like Claude likes his guys.

Honestly, people on this board tend to have backup QB syndrome where we overestimate guys who show flashes in limited playing time.

But, its clear as day that Campbell is cooked and when Kelly gets pushed down a line there won't be a need for him. Paille has looked fine playing with Marchand/Bergeron or Soda/Eriksson. Iron pans for hands and all.

wintersej

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 26, 2011
North Andover, MA
I was a Chia and Clode supporter but I've changed my tune, they both gotta go now.

Claude will live and die with his veteran dinosaurs, if he has them on his roster their playing, regardless of their play, end of story.

With the Talbot acquisition Chia clearly doesn't have his finger on the pulse of the league and where this game is headed, otherwise he wouldn't of made the trade to bring in ANOTHER veteran plug who can't skate and has minimal skill.

Talbot was a move with an eye towards next year when Campbell and probably Paille are allowed to walk. I believe Kelly's NTC also expands to like 15 teams next year, so he might be a cap casualty. Don't think you are seeing the bigger picture of the Talbot move. Veteran guy that can play all three forward positions with a cap hit half the size of Campbell. Can play on the PK. Great in the room. You certainly don't want to be playing all four of Kelly, Campbell, Paille and Talbot. And when Krejci and Connolly come back, they won't.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad