When does the Yzerplan start getting criticized?

Dotter

THE ATHLETIC IS GARBAGE
Jul 2, 2014
Imprisonment, TN
goo.gl
I'm trying to find a unique NHL rebuild like DRWs and I keep going back to Vancouver Canucks... Not in current results, but draft luck / draft fail, and not having any stars. Though Hughes looks like he is becoming their star.

Looking at each teams draft history, each look similar:

Canucks draft history:

Red Wings draft history:

Disappointments:
Olli Juolevi (5th selection 2016) = Filip Zadina (6th selection 2018)

Mid round steals:
Brock Boeser / Dylan Larkin

Impact player:
Elias Pettersson / Lucas Raymond

Stud young dmen:
Q. Hughes / Moritz Seider

Depth:
Hoglander / Rasmussen

Goalie:
Demko / Nobody yet (hopefully Cossa)

That's their drafting ^. Wings have more promising up-and-coming players while Canucks traded picks for high quality players: Hronek and J.T. Miller.

It is fascinating that neither team drafted top 3. Neither drafted elite superstars (though Hughes and Seider might be on their way). And just think, Ken Holland could have selected Quinn Hughes over Filip Zadina!

Canucks had a very good season and are close to making it to the 2nd round of the playoffs. If Yzerman uses Canucks as a blueprint, he needs to trade assets for a couple quality pieces and start injecting his youth; ASP, Danielson, Kasper.

*Wings drafted Simon Edvinsson. Canucks never drafted an equivalent player. They signed an aging Tyler Myers as a UFA.

The point of my long thread is if you can pull off a few good trades, you don't need #1 picks to compete. Yzerman is known to make good trades.

I conclude Wings are 2 years behind Canucks right now. 2 years ago Canucks finished with 92 points. And Hughes, their cornerstone defensman, is 2 years older than Seider.

Last edited:

WarriorofTime

Jul 3, 2010
This is why I like the way Yzerman is rebuilding. He isn't going scorched earth and still has a slim chance at being rewarded a #5 pick.

1. Wings are starting to learn about 'compete'. That's a lesson a lot of these other 'up-and-coming' teams have yet to work on... and it shows.
What planet are you on? The Wings with Yzerman did go scorched earth already. 2019-20 NHL Standings | Hockey-Reference.com

"starting to learn about compete" - they've missed the Playoffs eight seasons in a row. What competing? What makes the Wings different than the other teams that been perpetually bad for a long time? They picked top 10 seven years in a row. All they've done in Dylan Larkin's career is lose. He was given an 8-year extension and will be teaching the younger players how to win as a veteran that's never won anything. They signed a bunch of other placeholder veterans that just got there recently, there's no "winning culture" to bestow upon them. Just a group of mid-tier veterans to be replaced by what they hope will be higher caliber prospects and not just re-arranging deck chairs.

Analogies? Sure there's always the good ones. Then there's also Columbus picking 4th, 8th, 1st, 4th, 8th, 6th, 6th, 7th, 6th their first nine drafts from 2000-2008 and missing the Playoffs their first seven seasons as a team. Unfortunately when you miss out on the top talent more often than not, you often end up just shuffling names around.

RedHawkDown

still trying to trust the yzerplan
Aug 26, 2011
Canada
What planet are you on? The Wings with Yzerman did go scorched earth already. 2019-20 NHL Standings | Hockey-Reference.com

"starting to learn about compete" - they've missed the Playoffs eight seasons in a row. What competing? What makes the Wings different than the other teams that been perpetually bad for a long time? They picked top 10 seven years in a row. All they've done in Dylan Larkin's career is lose. He was given an 8-year extension and will be teaching the younger players how to win as a veteran that's never won anything. They signed a bunch of other placeholder veterans that just got there recently, there's no "winning culture" to bestow upon them. Just a group of mid-tier veterans to be replaced by what they hope will be higher caliber prospects and not just re-arranging deck chairs.

Analogies? Sure there's always the good ones. Then there's also Columbus picking 4th, 8th, 1st, 4th, 8th, 6th, 6th, 7th, 6th their first nine drafts from 2000-2008 and missing the Playoffs their first seven seasons as a team. Unfortunately when you miss out on the top talent more often than not, you often end up just shuffling names around.
Love it man. Keep it going. At this point it’s comical.

WarriorofTime

Jul 3, 2010
It’ll be fun when we’re in the 2nd round next year and people are still trying to figure out how it happened with our shit prospects and subpar youngsters.
With this kind of energy, I expect we'll see "Moritz Seider or Cale Makar (CONTRACTS INCLUDED)" as a poll soon.

RedHawkDown

Aug 26, 2011
Canada
With this kind of energy, I expect we'll see "Moritz Seider or Cale Makar (CONTRACTS INCLUDED)" as a poll soon.
Keep dreaming up whatever scenarios you like. Makar is way better than Seider and always will be. You just hate all our prospects and players for some strange reason.

RedHawkDown

Aug 26, 2011
Canada
You just take everything personally.
What did I take personally?

Throughout this thread you’ve assumed the worst of every wings prospect and played, and given the benefit of the doubt to every other teams prospects and players that are brought up as comparables. your opinion and message is clear.

There’s no point discussing tbh. Time will tell which one of us is right.

I will say, people that say Wings fans are optimistic have never been on our board lmao.

WarriorofTime

Jul 3, 2010
What did I take personally?
Idk, replying just to reply to me personally and not address any points?
Throughout this thread you’ve assumed the worst of every wings prospect and played, and given the benefit of the doubt to every other teams prospects and players that are brought up as comparables. your opinion and message is clear.
I disagree that I've done that. I think the prospects are fine and many will play a long time in the NHL, but that's not only enough because they aren't joining a currently contending team. That's the issue any so-called "perpetual rebuild" runs into. Players that are just OK to pretty good putting them on a treadmill.

Roomba With a Bauer

Sep 11, 2007
ITT a bunch of bitter NHL fans continue to circle jerk over the corpse of the Red Wings franchise. Red Wings fans continue to willingly put their faces in the way for unknown reasons.

News at 11.

Edit: I wonder how long a thread designed to bash one franchise and fanbase would last on the main board if it was targeted at any team other than Detroit.

PajamaBoy

Sponsor
Sep 16, 2020
ITT a bunch of bitter NHL fans continue to circle jerk over the corpse of the Red Wings franchise. Red Wings fans continue to willingly put their faces in the way for unknown reasons.

News at 11.

Edit: I wonder how long a thread designed to bash one franchise and fanbase would last on the main board if it was targeted at any team other than Detroit.
As a wing fan I hope they don't close it. Any wings fans who want Yzerman gone at this point are probably terminal. Probably still crying about hanafin and a first round gang assault from the rangers. And anyone getting mugged off by fan bases that borderline sexual assault apologists make you look mentally frail.

Tetsuo

Boss of a Pile of Rubble
Apr 11, 2018
Michigan
I’m baffled that this thread is still going

What’s the point? Wings fans are clearly happy with Yzermans progress overall, and it’s not like we just worship management as we all hated holland with a passion

Other teams fans don’t seem to agree, that’s fine, we’ll just have to wait and see how it all turns out

I don’t really see where any of this discussion is going. It’s just been circular for the last 20 pages
/thread.

We can criticize some of the signings (certainly the amount) but the trajectory is clear... we're taking the long, slow road. We've made moves to keep the team progressing, but I suspect that next year will be a bit of a less competitive year in terms of points but with a lot of encouraging development as guys graduate.

If we have another repeat and a lack of graduation/development, I'll start to question more strongly.

Reactions: Nut Upstrom

Shane Diesel

Jun 8, 2021
Six years without postseason should get anyone fired.

So when is Yzerman going to feel the heat?

Holland has been gone for five years. Can't continue to blame him.
The farther away from Yzerman's first year with the Wings we get the greater the myth becomes Detroit was nothing more than an expansion team that was so burned to the ground it was barely even an NHL organization.

Never mind the fact the last two NHL expansion franchises didn't take five years to make the playoffs and contend.

themelkman

Always Delivers
Apr 26, 2015
Calgary, Alberta

News at 11.

I think you really overestimate how much people care about the red wings. Sure they are old, but I have never seen anyone really complaining about their fanbase or team in many years.

Feel like the interest here is how Yzermans reputation has evolved and changed over the years.

Czechboy

Cole is the real MVP!
Apr 15, 2018
It’ll be fun when we’re in the 2nd round next year and people are still trying to figure out how it happened with our shit prospects and subpar youngsters.
If you guys are in round 2 next year then we will all agree that the yzerplan is great! That would be progress.

Reactions: Vasilevskiy

Czechboy

Cole is the real MVP!
Apr 15, 2018
Is that the consensus threshold of "progress" among all 7 of you critics?
Playoffs would be progress.. especially in the East where the 3 teams ahead of you combined for a 2 and 12 record.

TB 1 and 4
Was 0 and 4
Isles 1 and 4

You were officially the best non playoff team.. so progress would be playoffs! Good luck.

Dotter

THE ATHLETIC IS GARBAGE
Jul 2, 2014
Imprisonment, TN
goo.gl

You must be fun at parties.

Wings draft 15th in 2024 and can move up a maximum 10 spots = #5.

You're right, they went scorched earth and lost the lottery. Drafted #4. So they are due to move up, right?

BUT.... my point was even if they do move up to #5 in the 2024 draft (unlikely), the player that will be available is probably the same tier of player available at #15.

You're also right Wings are perpetually bad for a long time. But you must also acknowledge Wings are incrementally getting better, right?

Dotter

THE ATHLETIC IS GARBAGE
Jul 2, 2014
Imprisonment, TN
goo.gl
Playoffs would be progress.. especially in the East where the 3 teams ahead of you combined for a 2 and 12 record.

TB 1 and 4
Was 0 and 4
Isles 1 and 4

You were officially the best non playoff team.. so progress would be playoffs! Good luck.

While the Wings making the playoffs would have been a fantastic achievement, I still think the season was a great learning experience for the youth including Larkin.

Missing the playoffs by 0 points and having more wins than Washington is nothing they should hang their heads down about. I think this adversity just makes them more hungry and more focused going forward. It was a great learning experience for everyone even the coach.

TS Quint

GET THESE ADS OUT OF MY WAY!
Sep 8, 2012
It's exactly like Ottawa's fanbase before this season.
Fake.

I never thought signing Justing Holl made the Wings a contender. I don't remember any Wings fans last off season thinking so. It's possible.... I guess, maybe you can post a quote. I don't see any posts like that in this thread. Again it's possible I missed it. Maybe you could post a quote. Or more likely you and a couple posters in this thread got over excited over a situation you didn't understand.

What I see is a bunch of Wings fans calling Justin Holl and the other short term contracts place holders. I can post quotes if that's what you some how missed it 10x/page. I don't know if that will help as I can't read for you. But if those signings and the results they gave some how confused you for the direction the Wings are taking that's on you.

Reactions: Crunchy

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad