When does the Yzerplan start getting criticized?

cjeagle

Jul 10, 2016
Chicago
Very good bones on that Wings team. They feel like a reverse-Ottawa to me. Always greater than the sum of their parts, maybe it comes from the team leadership?

Detroit may not be The prime UFA destination, but it's still very close to the top in that department. Building a big strong defence and a not-undersized (though not big) centre depth and then signing some very talented undersized veterans UFA wingers feels like a good plan to me at least

Goaltending is a fickle beast though. My Habs get pretty lucky in that regard as good to great goalies seem to just spawn there regularly
After years of drought, Detroit has finally hit a goldmine with their goaltending prospects in Sebastian Cossa and Trey Augustine.

Yzerman made a controversial draft pick by choosing Sebastian Cossa at 15th overall in the 2021 NHL draft over consensus top goalie Wallstedt.

Cossa started slow last year in the AHL after just 3 games and played most of the season in the ECHL where he dominated but has gone 20-8-9 in 37 games to go with a 2.42 goals-against average and a .913 save percentage for Grand Rapids in the AHL this year.

He went 19 decisions without a regulation loss (13-0-6) from Jan. 19 to April 5, establishing a franchise record. After an up-and-down first part of the season, Cossa has gone 16-2-6 with a 2.01 GAA and a .923 save percentage since Christmas.

Most telling of all he has outdueled other young goalie prospect studs Askarov and Wallstedt in the games he has played against them.

Last edited:
Reactions: TesseractPrice

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
I was looking at Yzerman's draft picks since he became GM of the Redwings 5 years ago and I was impressed at how many prospects are doing well at the NHL, AHL SHL, KHL, OHL and NCAA level and still considered genuine NHL prospects that are mentioned often on the forums

2019 - Moritz Seider, Antti Tuomisto, Albert Johansson, Elmer Soderblom
2020 - Lucas Raymond, William Wallinder
2021 - Simon Edvinsson, Sebastian Cossa, Shai Buium, Carter Mazur
2022 - Marco Kasper, Dmitri Buchelnikov, Amadeus Lombardi
2023 - Nate Danielson, Axel Sandin Pelikka, Trey Augustine, Andrew Gibson

Obviously it is too early to say how the younger players from later draft picks who were not mentioned will do as they are still playing in the juniors but the record has showed that many have or about to make the jump to the AHL and the NHL already.
The first batch of his draftees is 23 this year. So, he's going to need guys to start pushing for an NHL spot sooner rather than later. Who is likely to do that from the 2019 and even 2020 drafts.

Only Evindsson should push from the 2021 class.

cjeagle

Jul 10, 2016
Chicago
The first batch of his draftees is 23 this year. So, he's going to need guys to start pushing for an NHL spot sooner rather than later. Who is likely to do that from the 2019 and even 2020 drafts.

Detroit has a history of being patient with their prospects both under Holland as well as with Yzerman today.

From 2019, Albert Johansson is no longer waiver exempt next year so there is a good chance he will join Edvinsson on defence next year. He played well in Grand Rapids as their top pair defenceman when Edvinsson was promoted to Detroit the past few months.

I doubt the Redwings will add any more rookies to their defence aside from those 2 unless ASP who was voted best defenceman in the World Junior Championship and the SHL this year at only 19 y.o. forces the decision on them during the preseason.

Center Danielson played well in the NHL preseason for the Redwings(late cut) but ultimately at 18 y.o. they felt it would be better to send him back to the juniors (since he wasn't eligible to be sent to the AHL) rather than play him in a limited role with the Redwings.

Carter Mazur and Marko Kasper could probably push for spots at forward because of their overall play but it might be better for them to spend another year in Grand Rapids for another year with the occasional callup instead of playing limited minutes in Detroit.

I think they will probably want to keep stud goalie Cossa another year in Grand Rapids with the occasional callup due to injury unless he forces their hand in the preseason.

I am not sure when Buchelnikov would obtain his release from the KHL where has flourished. He would have to prove himself in the AHL first.

Last edited:

Pavels Dog

Feb 18, 2013
Sweden
The predictions I saw were that Detroit, with the way they were shaping up their roster, would be in no man's land, which is exactly where they ended up being.

Fortunately, there are good pieces coming in and Raymond is turning into a star.
Most predictions had them 7th in the division and in the 80-85 point range. It's easier to find predictions of 8th and <80 points than anything above 6th and above 90 points.

Yzerman seems to be held to the standard that every draft should produce multiple good NHLers, despite no other GM being held to the same bar.

2019 and 2020 are already successes based on Seider and Raymond. Johansson and Wallinder are definitely going to play NHL games, but it remains to be seen if it's with the Wings.

Kasper, Mazur and Danielson will definitely push for NHL spots next season.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
Most predictions had them 7th in the division and in the 80-85 point range. It's easier to find predictions of 8th and <80 points than anything above 6th and above 90 points.

Yzerman seems to be held to the standard that every draft should produce multiple good NHLers, despite no other GM being held to the same bar.

2019 and 2020 are already successes based on Seider and Raymond. Johansson and Wallinder are definitely going to play NHL games, but it remains to be seen if it's with the Wings.

Kasper, Mazur and Danielson will definitely push for NHL spots next season.
For a rebuilding team goal is to obtain extra picks and hopefully hit on a couple of them. 2019-2020 draft they had 4 extra seconds on top of the 2 they had.

WarriorofTime

Jul 3, 2010
Albert Johansson seeing a grand total of 0 NHL callup games in non-Playoff seasons before his Waiver-Exempt years expired was a bit odd. Hard to make a determination on an Yzerman 2nd round pick from his draft if you won't even let him have a cup of coffee. Last season I thought he took too many minor penalties, but I think he cleaned that up well this year. He is pretty good in the AHL but I'm not sure on NHL future given the lack of any time.

Reactions: Voight

BCNate

Apr 3, 2016
I think many will be very critical if the Wings take a step back next year. I have to assume that most Wings fans are generally happy with this season and the overall direction of the team.

Hockeyfan2390

Nov 19, 2010
Kansas City, MO
I cannot believe that he's allowing Derek Lalonde to come back next season. And now, Craig Berube is likely going to an Atlantic Division rival.

I'm sorry, but that's an outright dereliction of duty. He's a HORRIBLE head coach, and the fact that Detroit was routinely so unprepared to play against lesser competition is a major red flag.

Hockeyfan2390

Nov 19, 2010
Kansas City, MO
“I hope we make the playoffs,” Yzerman said. “It’s going to be a challenge. I’m nervous. We as a management group, myself being in charge of management, have to make some good decisions. We’ll be sitting here next year saying, ‘That was a good decision,’ or we’ll be saying, ‘Steve, what were you thinking?’ A lot of decisions we make, the answer is decided by wins and losses, making the playoffs or not making the playoffs. It’s hard to make the playoffs in the NHL.”

No Steve, it's not hard to make the playoffs in the NHL. Half of the teams make it. This is 100% the opposite of Yzerman's attitude as a player - he didn't tolerate losing.

Reactions: Fatass

nbwingsfan

Dec 13, 2009
If you just look at their record, then you can say they came close this season. So it has to be playoffs or bust next season. Lalonde has to be on notice, right?
Lalonde should already be let go, but I doubt Yzerman admits a mistake that quickly. One bad stretch and he’s a goner (I hope).

Reactions: BHD

ricky0034

Jun 8, 2010
Albert Johansson seeing a grand total of 0 NHL callup games in non-Playoff seasons before his Waiver-Exempt years expired was a bit odd. Hard to make a determination on an Yzerman 2nd round pick from his draft if you won't even let him have a cup of coffee. Last season I thought he took too many minor penalties, but I think he cleaned that up well this year. He is pretty good in the AHL but I'm not sure on NHL future given the lack of any time.

the bizarre thing is the Wings usually talk about him pretty positively whenever they do talk about him in interviews too

Kimota

ROY DU NORD!!!
Nov 4, 2005
Les Plaines D'Abraham
“I hope we make the playoffs,” Yzerman said. “It’s going to be a challenge. I’m nervous. We as a management group, myself being in charge of management, have to make some good decisions. We’ll be sitting here next year saying, ‘That was a good decision,’ or we’ll be saying, ‘Steve, what were you thinking?’ A lot of decisions we make, the answer is decided by wins and losses, making the playoffs or not making the playoffs. It’s hard to make the playoffs in the NHL.”

No Steve, it's not hard to make the playoffs in the NHL. Half of the teams make it. This is 100% the opposite of Yzerman's attitude as a player - he didn't tolerate losing.

He used to tolerate it until Bowman transformed him. Maybe he is going back.

Reactions: Voight and Fatass

norrisnick

The best...
Apr 14, 2005
He mentioned at one point during his presser. In his day 16 of 21 teams made it into the playoffs.

11 teams added and no difference to the number of playoff teams. It's never been harder to make the playoffs.

Reactions: SantosHalper

Hockeyfan2390

Nov 19, 2010
Kansas City, MO
He mentioned at one point during his presser. In his day 16 of 21 teams made it into the playoffs.

11 teams added and no difference to the number of playoff teams. It's never been harder to make the playoffs.

Yzerman wasn’t brought back to make excuses. He was brought back here to elevate the Red Wings back to greatness. And the fact that he just ended year 5 on the
job with zero playoff appearances is a MAJOR problem.

• Haha
Reactions: TS Quint and Fatass

saska sault

Jun 5, 2010
Sault Ste. Marie
Yzerman wasn’t brought back to make excuses. He was brought back here to elevate the Red Wings back to greatness. And the fact that he just ended year 5 on the

Major problem for people who don't actually follow the team or have reasonable expectations for what he is trying to build, yes.

Last edited:

Hockeyfan2390

Nov 19, 2010
Kansas City, MO
Fair enough. Guess we need to lose some fans since the Wings don't deserve support. Bye.
Cool story. You’re not the arbiter of fandom. It’s because I’m a fan that I’m not satisfied with this absurdly slow rebuild. But by all means, continue to eat the gruel they’ve given you and pretend that it’s prime rib.
Major problem for people who don't actually follow the team or have reasonable expectations for what he is trying to build, yes.
Trying to build? It’s the end of year 5. Only two of his draft picks from 5 drafts are regular NHL players. The head coach is terrible and just said they may not even be in a playoff chase next year.

The playoffs are the bare minimum expectation for anyone with standards at the end of Year 5 of a tenure as general manager.

But by all means, continue to defend this process that has yet to deliver anything meaningful. You’ll still be saying “Trust the Yzerplan” if Detroit was still not a playoff team by 2026 because you have no standards. I expect more from the team that established the modern standard for excellence and by what following dynasties modeled themselves after.

If you don’t, that’s your right. But it’s time to take Yzerman off the cross and admit he’s not the deity that we thought he was as a GM.

Reactions: Fatass

saska sault

Jun 5, 2010
Sault Ste. Marie
Cool story. You’re not the arbiter of fandom. It’s because I’m a fan that I’m not satisfied with this absurdly slow rebuild. But by all means, continue to eat the gruel they’ve given you and pretend that it’s prime rib.

Trying to build? It’s the end of year 5. Only two of his draft picks from 5 drafts are regular NHL players. The head coach is terrible and just said they may not even be in a playoff chase next year.

The playoffs are the bare minimum expectation for anyone with standards at the end of Year 5 of a tenure as general manager.

But by all means, continue to defend this process that has yet to deliver anything meaningful. You’ll still be saying “Trust the Yzerplan” if Detroit was still not a playoff team by 2026 because you have no standards. I expect more from the team that established the modern standard for excellence and by what following dynasties modeled themselves after.

If you don’t, that’s your right. But it’s time to take Yzerman off the cross and admit he’s not the deity that we thought he was as a GM.

If we are talking in terms of 5 year spans. They have increased in wins every year, not regressed. Raymond and Seider have improved and Larkin is locked up. Bold prediction, they will improve next year.

SoundAndFury

May 28, 2012
You give a severe "old man yelling at the cloud" energy. All these pompous phrases without saying anything constructive. At least tell then where exactly he went wrong so that people can discuss it with you. You can't just employ one guy to magically "elevate your team to greatness", which is what you seem to believe.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad