When does the Yzerplan start getting criticized?

SantosHalper

Get off my lawn
Mar 21, 2012
somewhere around nothing
The "Yzerplan" was never, and I repeat, NEVER supposed to take this long just to get back into the playoffs.
How long it was supposed to take?

2019-20 tank year
2020-21 tank year
2021-22 tank year
2022-23 1st attempt to reach playoffs, failed
2023-24 2nd attempt to reach playoffs, leaning towards failure

I suggest you circle back to the 1st press conference in 2019, Yzerman said six times that "this is going to take time". And to this take from the the 1st interview.

Reactions: shello and Crunchy

Roomba With a Bauer

Sep 11, 2007
Yzerman is operating as though he has infinite time and is getting decent results from most of his first round picks.

Even after year 3 he was saying "this is going to take a long time".

I don't like it but I think the "Yzerplan" was always like an 8-10 year deal.

kook10

Jun 27, 2011
I don't think it was in the Yzerplan to completely shit the bed right after the trade deadline. Now he has to sell low(er). I get it that even a short playoff run might polish up a couple of turds and increase his total asset value (and give him a longer leash), but I think we all know that we have a lot of turds that need moving regardless of how the season ends. Now it is tougher and he'd do it differently in retrospect.

(this message brought to you by ExLax)

Reactions: Luc Labelle

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
I dont know. How about when he approaches the track record Shanahan has .... win one round in ten years.

When a guy is life and death to just make the playoffs, it's not the best time to take cheap shots at others.

izlez

We need more toe-drags/60
Feb 28, 2012
But at least Shanahan has made the playoffs. It only took him 3 or 4 years to do so. As much flack as the Leafs get...atleast they're getting there every year.
If you're firing a guy because the team fell a few games short of expectations for a year or two, you are probably being shortsighted.

Reactions: Beukeboom Fan

george14

Mar 9, 2014
Detroit, MI
Yzerman has made some great moves but the reality is, it's year 5 and the Wings probably aren't making the playoffs in a league where 50% of the league qualifies. There has been consistent improvement, but it's difficult to make excuses.

PaulD

Time for a new GM !
Feb 4, 2016
Dundas
When a guy is life and death to just make the playoffs, it's not the best time to take cheap shots at others.
Shannys leafs have 5 more wins than Stevie Ys wings.
I don't know if Shanny would brag or complain about that one.

But at least Shanahan has made the playoffs. It only took him 3 or 4 years to do so. As much flack as the Leafs get...atleast they're getting there every year.
Yea and I like Stevie Ys track record as a GM. This aint this first rodeo.

PaulD

Time for a new GM !
Feb 4, 2016
Dundas
Thread about Yzerman. Let me make a post completely about the leafs 👍

On brand for you
nope. it's about the question in the thread
Yzerman hire by Wings 4 years ago next month.
Ide say he gets alot more time for the rebuild. As NHL counter parts Shanny, Treviling in Calgary. Blake in LA have been given. Bergevin took 10 years in Montreal to bury the Habs.
Stevie Y is just getting started compared to these other winless wonders.

Last edited:

19 for president

Apr 28, 2002
But at least Shanahan has made the playoffs. It only took him 3 or 4 years to do so. As much flack as the Leafs get atleast they're getting there every year.

Having the #1 overall pick and borderline generational center in Mathews certainly helped a lot. Wings haven't even come close to being able to draft a guy that level since Yzerman has been here.

Since the Wings haven't had a chance at a franchise forward they are building from the back end. Its an effective strategy but it often take longer to develop so that turnaround is not going to be as quick.

With that said, I definitely think Yzerman deserves some blame. I hated the Copp, Holl and Chiarot (has at least looked better this year) signings. Didn't love the Petry trade either since we had already signed Holl. I feel he should have figured out a way to get Ed up by mid season since he was clearly ready for that next step. I don't love him burying Berggy either. Either deal him for someone that can help the team or get him a spot. I also didn't love him not making any moves in what was easily a buyers market at the deadline. I'm not saying blow a first or a 2nd but there were some good forwards for 3rd and 4th rounders. I think buying even a 4th line guy would have helped boost moral quite a bit and said management believes in giving this team a shot. With our lack of center depth, it would have been nice to snag a 4th line center.

This year I am willing to give a pass to if we miss the playoffs. But I do 100% we need to make the playoffs next year.

GreytWun

Sep 29, 2017
Ontario

Let’s see what he had before he came and after compared to Yzerman.

Leafs (Burke / Nonis)

2008 - 5th overall (Schenn)
2009 - 7th overall (Kadri)
2010-2011 lost draft picks in Kessel deal
2012 - 5th overall (Reilly)

Shannan came in

2013 - No draft pick
2014 - 7th overall (Nylander)
2015 - 4th overall (Marner)
2016 - 1st overall (Matthews)

Detroit (Holland)

2015 - 15th overall (Larkin)
2016 - 20th overall (Dennis Cholowski)
2017 - 7th overall (Michael Rasmussen)
2018 - 6th overall (Filip Zadina)

Yzerman comes in

2019 - 6th overall (Seider)
2020 - 4th overall (Raymond)
2021 - 6th overall (Edvinsson)
2022 - 8th overall (Kasper)

I don’t think people understand what mess Holland made of Detroit. Detroit also didn’t have a 1st overall generational center.

raymond23

:o
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2017
Grand Rapids, MI
Since the 2013-2014 season, only Buffalo (674 points) and Arizona (704 points) have been worse than Detroit (753 points)

That's a NINE year span where Detroit was the third worst team in the league

Thanks to the lottery system, Detroit earned ONE top five pick in those nine years (Lucas Raymond at 4th overall)

Go ahead and build a perennial stanley cup contender. It shouldn't take too long right?

KingsFan7824

Dec 4, 2003
Visit site
How long it was supposed to take?

2019-20 tank year
2020-21 tank year
2021-22 tank year
2022-23 1st attempt to reach playoffs, failed
2023-24 2nd attempt to reach playoffs, leaning towards failure

a415f8e5-0298-440d-89e8-ce05ddd1fcb7_text.gif

Bank Shot

Jan 18, 2006
I mean most people seem to prefer the Buffalo rebuild and that’s coming up on 15+ years..

Problem for these arguments is similar things go for Sabres, Sens, Devils etc. as well. All of whom people thought would be way ahead Detroit this season. I’d argue Detroit’s actually where they SHOULD be, fighting for a wildcard. Even as they likely end up missing they’re playing meaningful games at this point of the season which was the realistic goal all along. No one, and I mean literally not a single soul, had them in a playoff spot going into this season and the majority didn’t have them anywhere near this close.
They have the second highest 5v5 shooting % in the league. They are lucky to be where they are in the standings.

One of the worst possession teams in the NHL.

Czechboy

Easy schedules rule!
Apr 15, 2018
I don't feel he's there yet personally... Lots of decisions I didn't like myself. Hill, Petry, chariot all come to mind. Surprised some posters are fine to give him 8 to 10 years.

WF19

Nov 18, 2009
Yzerman never once said it was playoffs or bust this year. I think next year will probably be the year where the needle moves( although I did think we turned the corner) as far as prospects go, we have 2 very solid prospects in Cossa and Augustine, Edvinsson is finally playing, ASP is an unreal prospect right now and we still have quite a few more that are bare minimum NHL players. I kinda expect something big out of the draft or free agency this year. The core group should be locked up.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad