When does the Yzerplan start getting criticized?

Djp

Jul 28, 2012
Alexandria, VA
they hit all their early picks out of the park. sounds simple but it's not. they had a very good rebuild.

that duchene trade solidified their future.

when you drop top 5 it’s hard to miss. It’s not like they reached on a player because of need. The players they picked coincided with most projections/ rankings.

they got a very good player at 10 In rant at an . They have also drafted poorly in the 10-20 range.

ROR trade got thrm Compher and Zadorov. Thry traded Zadorov.
Duchene got them a top 5 pick and Girard
I'm sure Yzerman will do some prospect/picks for players trades. He already has to some extent (Husso/Nedeljkovic trades, Leddy trade). Wings are not in the same situation as LA who are still building around Kopitar and Doughty.

Except you have completely failed to provide any examples of this except a handful of picks dating back to 2011. And you mainly used Tampa as an example, i.e. giving your vote of confidence to Yzerman over any other GM in the NHL.

LA drafted well after the top 20. Muzzin and marines along with some other forwards they traded.

Chicago got some players later in the draft that were part of their first cup that they had to trade away.

many many teams have done better in drafting outside the top 20.

im not saying yzerman cant. That is the true measuring stick. Not who you picked in the top 20. Even some of the better drafting teams have missed on a top 20 pick.

my team is buffalo and if you look at their draft history tells a story.

the 2004-2007 drafts they got some players later but missed on 1st/ high 2nd. One of them had to do with a bad knee injury in minors that killed his career.

2008-2011 had bad drafts outside the 1st round.

Part of the reason for this was in significant scouting cuts

when they started the rebuilt in 2012-2015 they didn’t have much from previously and what they did have they gave up in trades.

2016-2019. They drafted decent players early but also go players later in the draft who could play creating a better starting point for what they are doing in 2020-2023 drafts where they traded players from 13-15 drafts to restock The prospect pool.

they had an excess of picks from trades they did of team vets thst fed the 2012-15 drafts. When Eichel got drafted they made a bunch of trades to try and improbpve the club. It’s hard to rebuild that way when you don’t have much on the team in depth from earlier drafts who take longer.

Pavels Dog

Feb 18, 2013
Sweden
many many teams have done better in drafting outside the top 20.
Wings are maybe the best all-time at it.
You’ll need to define a timeframe, because if you’re going all the way back to players that were part of the Blackhawks cups we’re also including Datsyuk, Zetterberg, Franzen, Kronwall etc.

newfy

Jul 28, 2010
They're trending upwards, but the answer is next year. The must at least be in Buffalo or Ottawa's situation of near missing the playoffs, and even that isn't a lot to ask. I personally believe in Yzerman. Wings were so good for so long it's hard to turn the page, remake the team from the ground up.

Uhhhhh

They got eliminated from the playoffs 2 games ago, the same day that Ottawa did and Ottawa has 3 more points with one more game played right now.

dirtydanglez

Oct 30, 2022
when you drop top 5 it’s hard to miss. It’s not like they reached on a player because of need. The players they picked coincided with most projections/ rankings.

they got a very good player at 10 In rant at an . They have also drafted poorly in the 10-20 range.

ROR trade got thrm Compher and Zadorov. Thry traded Zadorov.
Duchene got them a top 5 pick and Girard
that's not true at all. top 5 isn't a lock. besides they avs pretty much picked the best player every time.

avs aren't very good in the later rounds but because they were spot on with the top picks they didn't have to be.

duchene trade got them cap space, byram, girard, and annunen. home run trade.

FiveHoleo

Jul 31, 2021
How about now? ;)
I like Christian Fischer, but the rest of it is a dog's breakfast. I think his plan was to add through free agency this year and make a push for the playoffs, however the flat cap and the resulting poor free agent market led to him spending on less than ideal options. There were no John Tavares or Alex Pietrangelo's floating around out there, so you get yourself a Compher and Holl I guess.

• Haha
Reactions: kanucks25

Nemesis Prime

Jun 29, 2010
London, ON
Five years of Compher for 5 million... it's like Weiss/Abdelkader/Nielsen all over again.

Did anyone make sure that it was Steve Yzerman who signed off on these contracts and not Steve Tambellini?

Reactions: Conbon

WarriorofTime

Jul 3, 2010
The Red Wings rebuild has been a case of “anything that can go wrong has gone wrong”

Lost lottery balls

Gearing up for free agents the past two classes which both ended up being poor classes in a flat cap

They are looking pretty aimless at this point and like a mid-tier team unless they pull some total miracles out of the forward prospect pool.

Cursed Lemon

Registered Bruiser
Nov 10, 2011
Dey-Twah, MI
Would anyone like to guess for the class the year that Ken Holland and Steve Yzerman switched places

1688436384297.png

Dirty Dog

Wooftastic
Sponsor
Jul 11, 2013
The doghouse
The lack of high end talent on the team has to be concerning for Detroit fans. The amount elite players, especially forwards, are extremely low compared to other rebuilding teams. And with their focus on mid level free agents, I don’t think they are going to be getting 5 picks to get those players.

They seem to be building an extremely mediocre team with a low ceiling. I just don’t see a core that could develop into a serious contender. You can’t be this bad for that long and have so little to show for it.

Not good. But I don’t know how much you blame the front office, just awful lottery luck. They need to find a way to add some high level forwards, as they have a lot of interesting pieces elsewhere. But the path to doing that is tough now that they are on the rise

Last edited:

TKB

Jun 12, 2010
Chicago
I think it is hilarious and telling that most of the people that have concerns about Yzerman, are not Red Wing fans.

If you have paid attention to what he has said from day one, none of what he is doing is surprising or alarming. He is not looking for quick fixes.

But its obvious that the critics haven't paid attention to what he has been saying, and don't understand how little he had to start with, and what he has put together so far in terms of prospects.

They just check the calendar, and say well its been 4 seasons with him and they are still not in the playoffs, then give us a drive-by analysis that he must suck, or has lost it.

Cursed Lemon

Registered Bruiser
Nov 10, 2011
Dey-Twah, MI
Well, I hope that information is enough for them to make the playoffs.

Hey remember when the Wings limped out of the playoffs in the first round with barely a whimper for five years in a row or whatever

That's basically winning the Cup, right? Like that's the ultimate goal of hockey

Realgud

Jersey ads are a disgrace
Nov 4, 2013
realguddraftsimulator.com
I think it is hilarious and telling that most of the people that have concerns about Yzerman, are not Red Wing fans.

If you have paid attention to what he has said from day one, none of what he is doing is surprising or alarming. He is not looking for quick fixes.

But its obvious that the critics haven't paid attention to what he has been saying, and don't understand how little he had to start with, and what he has put together so far in terms of prospects.

They just check the calendar, and say well its been 4 seasons with him and they are still not in the playoffs, then give us a drive-by analysis that he must suck, or has lost it.
Exactly this. This echoes what I said on the first page. He started with almost nothing. Ofc it's gonna take a while.

That said, this is the first time I see myself questioning his draft and free agency, but even then, I don't want to judge until I see the result of his decisions. He still has the benefit of the doubt and I see no reason for us fans to think we know better until his moves prove to be bad. His only real actual mistake right now is Chiarot imo. Smaller mistakes would be Zadina's contract and Nedeljkovic's trade, and maybe Perlini but all these were buy-low and hope kind of moves, so I won't fault him for these since he has hit on a few of those already.

Reactions: norrisnick

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad