TSN Radio when does the Leafs window open?

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
Vegas would be way further ahead if they avoid side deals and loaded up a Dmen at the X draft.

Dmen are the top trade currency right now.

Not sure why Vegas would take the we'll take a 4th not to pick Brodin path just because it's happened that way in the past. Doubt they want to be garbage for 5+ years.

This is how I see things. I predict they'll take a surplus of D men and then Immediately flip them for assets of other areas of need.

From a marketing POv it will be an imperative for a southern team to find success earlier than it would in a traditional hockey market - which means no drawn out build process

Barilko14

Jul 5, 2006
Renfrew, ON
This is how I see things. I predict they'll take a surplus of D men and then Immediately flip them for assets of other areas of need.

From a marketing POv it will be an imperative for a southern team to find success earlier than it would in a traditional hockey market - which means no drawn out build process

Agreed. This will also be a good opportunity for Leafs as we will have JVR and Bozie to shop if they want immediate help up front. And we obviously have a surplus of prospects if they prefer that.

All of this under the assumption they take a couple high calibre dmen.

LeafsFan89

Jan 2, 2011
I would much rather develop defensemen, than trade for some. There is no rush to be "good" this year, or even next year. Last year we finished last place, and this year people are expecting us to "do damage" in the playoffs?

What happens when we use our cap space to take on two good defensemen, and then we get slammed with the second upcoming expansion draft? There are three posters (including myself) who is concerned about the second expansion draft because many of our players will not automatically be protected like this one.

TL;DR: Give it time, develop our own players for once, reap the rewards in a few of seasons.

PuckMagi

Apr 13, 2013
Toronto
While we have a chance this year... I think the real push will be probably the year after next (maybe next year if we do well in the playoffs this year).

We get a lot of cap space next year with our big 3 still on their ELC.

However, when we go for our true push, that includes trading our 1st round pick at the deadline and maybe even a good young player for the temporary upgrade to push us over the top. No way are we doing that this year, and we may not want to do it next year. But the year after, we might be big buyers at the deadline.

The Horton contract does screw us pretty bad though... because we can't bank up cap room during the year very well and then go out and sign an expensive player at the deadline. When you do that, you can build a team that is way over the cap and get a huge advantage... so we are a bit limited in that respect. oh well. still better than having clarkson.

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
While we have a chance this year... I think the real push will be probably the year after next (maybe next year if we do well in the playoffs this year).

We get a lot of cap space next year with our big 3 still on their ELC.

However, when we go for our true push, that includes trading our 1st round pick at the deadline and maybe even a good young player for the temporary upgrade to push us over the top. No way are we doing that this year, and we may not want to do it next year. But the year after, we might be big buyers at the deadline.

The Horton contract does screw us pretty bad though... because we can't bank up cap room during the year very well and then go out and sign an expensive player at the deadline. When you do that, you can build a team that is way over the cap and get a huge advantage... so we are a bit limited in that respect. oh well. still better than having clarkson.

Put the Horton contract on LTIR problem solved

moon111

Oct 18, 2014
Went searching for D-man not in NHL and find this old list:
#5 Nikita Zaitsev
#3 William Nylander
#1 Austin Matthews.
At the time, Nylander was the only one in the system.

Confucius

There is no try, Just do
Feb 8, 2009
Toronto
nope can't be sitting on your ass while your top players are on their ELC

can't take a "few more years|"

because by that time guys are going to start getting paid

fill the holes now while everybody is cheap

If you can fill the holes without giving up the big 3 rookies or giving up a 1st. Giddy up and fill your boots.

Darcy Tucker

My Name is Bob
Mar 23, 2008
Vaughan, Ontario
Making the playoffs this year would be a huge accomplishment for Babcock and the team. After that, the sky's the limit. Gotta love it , we spent a long time down in the dumps.

LondonKendrick

Jun 18, 2016
I know the Chicago comparison is beaten to death put the stars continue to align with Shattenkirk potentially being our Brian Campbell.

HoweHullOrr

Oct 3, 2013
I say to you look at Chicago

did they wait until the ELC contracts of Kane and Towes ran out?

no because that would have been stupid they filled holes while their stars were cheap

why shouldn't we do the same?

I see what your saying, but isn't that a little simplistic? Didn't have the Hawks have several well above average defenders as well? Was that not a necessary component for their success?

Bomber0104

Apr 8, 2007
Burlington
I see what your saying, but isn't that a little simplistic? Didn't have the Hawks have several well above average defenders as well? Was that not a necessary component for their success?

Keith, Seabrook, Buff (for two playoff runs), Hjalmarsson....

We have no where near that quality.

We're much closer to the Stars than the Blackhawks.

Jack Bauer

May 30, 2007
Cape Breton

They also were able to benefit from the CBA allowing back diving long term contracts to lock up players like Hossa and Keith.

And had already developed a Cup worthy 1st pairing in Keith and Seabrook.

We're not on the Chicago level yet.

Jack Bauer

May 30, 2007
Cape Breton

This is a fair comparison I think.

Hard to compare any team to Chicago when hindsight really shows how deep they were when they won the first time. And that was still with a bust or 2 along the way like Skille.

zeke

The Dube Abides
Mar 14, 2005

Buff wasn't a dman for them, and yes Rielly/Gardiner/Zaitsev is near that quality.

Jack Bauer

May 30, 2007
Cape Breton
Buff wasn't a dman for them, and yes Rielly/Gardiner/Zaitsev is near that quality.

I don't think any of our guys are near that quality yet.

It's also easy to forget how much our depth drops off after those 3.

If they're say our 2, 4, and 5 defencemen then we're fine. If they're 1, 2, and 3 then we're in trouble.

You can get away with a veteran like Polak as a #6 or even a kid breaking in over the next 2 or 3 years like Dermott or Neilsen.

But we still need what we have to show more progression and at least 1 top pairing vet added to the mix.

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
I don't think any of our guys are near that quality yet.

It's also easy to forget how much our depth drops off after those 3.

If they're say our 2, 4, and 5 defencemen then we're fine. If they're 1, 2, and 3 then we're in trouble.

You can get away with a veteran like Polak as a #6 or even a kid breaking in over the next 2 or 3 years like Dermott or Neilsen.

But we still need what we have to show more progression and at least 1 top pairing vet added to the mix.

We'd be more than fine, we'd have the best D in the NHL.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad