TSN Radio when does the Leafs window open?

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
so they posed a question on Naylor and Landsberg this morning, where they asked when the Leafs window to a win a championship will open they seemed to think The Leafs could be a contender as early as next season and you know what? I agree.

some of you will laugh at that but I do not see why the team has it's core in place in Matthews Marner Nylander Andersen Reilly and Gardinr

it's like it was said on the radio, this team has a great forward group but they have a hole on the back end

the good thing is you have guys like Matthews and Marner on their ELC contracts and they already look like stars so you have the money to bring in a couple big pieces and fill a hole

I think if you can bring in a Shattenkirk or a Fowler or an Alzner someone of that caliber then the window opens

I also think if we can bring in a backup goalie like a Scott Darling or even though he's having a bad year a brian Elliott then you have a team that can compete

I do not think they are far off

I think with the right moves the window could open next year

Paladin2799

Jul 15, 2009
I think our offense is close to being ready to playoff ready, the problem is our defense.

Our window is dependant on what is available in the market. We have 2 maybe 3 top4 defensemen on our team (Reilly, Gardiner, maybe zeitsev), and how quickly we can be cup contenders depends very much on how quickly we can get top end defense.

If we have to draft/develop it, look for a few years down the line.

If we can acquire it cheaply or through FA, itll be rapid. I think if we got shattenkirk we would be a contender IMHO.

Damisoph

Jun 29, 2010
In my opinion we've already cracked it open to let the stink of the previous owners out...it won't be wide open for another year or two.

Joey Hoser

Jan 8, 2008
Guelph
There's a big window open in the next two seasons, while our best young players are all on ELC's.

After that there should be a 6-?? year period where it becomes a bit more difficult due to the salary cap, but should still be able to contend.

TheDoldrums

May 3, 2016
Kanada
It's already open.

This isn't the NBA where you know the Cavs and Warriors are going to roll through. There is a ton of luck and variance in the NHL playoffs. It's not implausible that Freddy gets hot and we go on a run this year.

Barilko14

Jul 5, 2006
Renfrew, ON
I think we'll see how quick mgmt thinks we will be ready by what happens with JVR this summer. Contending teams keep their 28 yo 60+ pt wingers.

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
Our D is putrid. We have a very young core. We have a few more years to go.

nope can't be sitting on your ass while your top players are on their ELC

can't take a "few more years|"

because by that time guys are going to start getting paid

fill the holes now while everybody is cheap

al secord

Mustard Tiger
Jun 26, 2013
Toronto
nope can't be sitting on your ass while your top players are on their ELC

can't take a "few more years|"

because by that time guysr are going to start getting paid

fill the holes now while everybody is cheap

So you think our window is while our 3 best offensive players are in year one of their ELC? I don't know what else to say to you lol.

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
So you think our window is while our 3 best offensive players are in year one of their ELC? I don't know what else to say to you lol.

I say to you look at Chicago

did they wait until the ELC contracts of Kane and Towes ran out?

no because that would have been stupid they filled holes while their stars were cheap

why shouldn't we do the same?

Joey Hoser

Jan 8, 2008
Guelph

Unless Matthews, Nylander, or Marner start trending in the opposite direction, they're going to go from a couple million combined caphit to well over 20.

Until then they can add.

Diatomic

Mitch Matthewlander
Mar 12, 2013
Air Canada Centre
Our windows open as soon as we make the playoffs with this new core but I don't see us being true contenders till a little while. Need to upgrade D and let the young players gain maturity and consistency to become a true contender.

REGGIE DUNLOP77

Jun 16, 2014
Southern GeorgianBay
Drafting and developing a Dman takes years to hit a top paring if ever,,

This young core could use a Dman that has 3-5 good first paring mins left,gives time to draft and develop one from draft and opens that window now,,,

Doubt you find that player in FA,going to have to pay for it threw trade,prolly have to have a couple bad years of contract at end,management has to budge for that,when the leafs start to hit on there draft picks than they can get cost effective players by growing there own

Other teams are read to bust out too,no sense cheaping out and get a 3 or 4 D when need a top paring or getting the wrong guy,, i dont think Shatt is a good fit for the team,,sure he would make the leafs better,,,but we just not want them to be better we want a stanley cup winner and thats going to cost,,,

I think the expansion draft is holding alot of things up

Be nice to get some play off experience this year....

Bomber0104

Apr 8, 2007
Burlington
Our window is still years away from being considered "open".

Windows of opportunity have more to with a team's salary cap structure relative to their age and talent level. When this team starts signing free agents and our ELC's turn into bridge or long-term contracts, we will revisit this topic.

This team is such a radical departure from that crap we were force-fed from Burke. There's almost zero expectations for them.

Razz

Jan 23, 2011
Mississauga
Next year. Our best players are on ELCs and the cap space is about to open up big time. The trick will be keeping that window open once the ELCs end.

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
Our window is still years away from being considered "open".

Windows of opportunity have more to with a team's salary cap structure relative to their age and talent level. When this team starts signing free agents and our ELC's turn into bridge or long-term contracts, we will revisit this topic.

This team is such a radical departure from that crap we were force-fed from Burke. There's almost zero expectations for them.

that is the thing though it is not "years" away from being open yo can see that

if this team can add a backup goalie that will be around more then half a season and shattenkirk level D man then this team will be very very good

very very fast

thewave

Jun 17, 2011
that is the thing though it is not "years" away from being open yo can see that

if this team can add a backup goalie that will be around more then half a season and shattenkirk level D man then this team will be very very good

very very fast

We have a good backup. We just need a more stable D like Shatty and then I think we can do some damage.

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
We have a good backup. We just need a more stable D like Shatty and then I think we can do some damage.

our backup does not have a contract after this season and I do not think he will be back

unless he starts winning games he has been good but at this point I think Babcock wants wins from the backup not just solid play

it would be different if Enroth did not cost this team valuable points but he did.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad