TSN Radio when does the Leafs window open?

jcfogerty

Aug 21, 2014
Ask me this time next year. Rookies have been prone to sophomore slumps and, we have a few of those. We're on the right track though !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:popcorn:

HoweHullOrr

Oct 3, 2013
Leafs '17 v Hawks '08

(xGF% = zone/score/venue-adjusted Expected Goals For percentage (from Corsica.Hockey)

Expected Goals = All Unblocked Shot Attempts adjusted for shot distance, quality, etc.

Number in brackets = xGF% Relative to Team
)

C Matthews (19): 47gms, 23gls, 39pts, 17:40 (40gls/68pts), 53.1xgf% (+0.3)
C Toews (19): 64gms, 24gls, 54pts, 18:40 (31gls/69pts), 49.3xgf% (+1.1)

W Marner (19): 47gms, 11gls, 39pts, 17:00 (19gls/68pts), 50.6cf% (-3.5)
W Kane (19): 82gms, 21gls, 72pts, 18:22 (21gls/72pts), 49.5xgf% (+1.4)

Do we still have to play the games then as you have proven we are better on paper? :naughty: ;)

PuckMagi

Apr 13, 2013
Toronto
If I'm understanding this correctly, I don't think it's a big deal. If we spend let's say 2m under the cap up to the trade deadline, we can still add a 7m salary or something because that salary only counts for that pre-rated portion of the season.

No, you're not understanding it correctly.

If we ice a team that is $2 million under the cap. With Horton's contract, that brings us to $3 million over the cap. Now that's fine, we're allowed to be over the cap. However, we do not bank up any cap space during the year because we are still technically $3 million over the cap. So at the deadline, all we can afford is a $2 million player.

If another team ices a team that is $2 million under the cap, they will start to bank up cap space during the year. Therefore, when it's trade deadline time, they can sign a player for about $8 million because of all their banked cap space.

So by having Horton's contract, it really hurts our ability to sign expensive players at the deadline. It makes it tough for us to ice a team in the playoffs that would otherwise be way over the cap if you just add up everyone's salary.

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
No, you're not understanding it correctly.

If we ice a team that is $2 million under the cap. With Horton's contract, that brings us to $3 million over the cap. Now that's fine, we're allowed to be over the cap. However, we do not bank up any cap space during the year because we are still technically $3 million over the cap. So at the deadline, all we can afford is a $2 million player.

If another team ices a team that is $2 million under the cap, they will start to bank up cap space during the year. Therefore, when it's trade deadline time, they can sign a player for about $8 million because of all their banked cap space.

So by having Horton's contract, it really hurts our ability to sign expensive players at the deadline. It makes it tough for us to ice a team in the playoffs that would otherwise be way over the cap if you just add up everyone's salary.

OK I get it now, thanks for the explanation. So it's like you said before, may as well spend to limit from the start. Unless of course it's realistic to be under the cap by more than just Horton's salary which it probably won't be a couple of years from now (if not before).

PuckMagi

Apr 13, 2013
Toronto
OK I get it now, thanks for the explanation. So it's like you said before, may as well spend to limit from the start. Unless of course it's realistic to be under the cap by more than just Horton's salary which it probably won't be a couple of years from now (if not before).

Yep! That's my understanding of it.

Barilko14

Jul 5, 2006
Renfrew, ON

Yep! That's my understanding of it.

Only problem with that plan is rookie bonuses would be carried forward, because we have spent to the cap.

That could be a real issue in 2018/2019, the last year of Matthews/Marner ELCs.

If we spent to the cap that season, bonuses would carry forward to 19/20 the year we have to give out big raises to those 2.

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
Only problem with that plan is rookie bonuses would be carried forward, because we have spent to the cap.

That could be a real issue in 2018/2019, the last year of Matthews/Marner ELCs.

If we spent to the cap that season, bonuses would carry forward to 19/20 the year we have to give out big raises to those 2.

I don't think any of this will matter for the next couple of years. For now we're still well under the cap and we have to save cap space for our core guys we need to sign long term in a few years. I don't see us spending to the cap until that time so unless we want to trade for something absurd like 10m in players at the deadline we're fine.

Vexed

Magic Marner
Feb 4, 2011
Barrie
I don't think any of this will matter for the next couple of years. For now we're still well under the cap and we have to save cap space for our core guys we need to sign long term in a few years. I don't see us spending to the cap until that time so unless we want to trade for something absurd like 10m in players at the deadline we're fine.

I'm not sure you need to save the cap per se as much as you need to be in a position where you can make it available when you need it.

hullsy47

Dec 7, 2005
so they posed a question on Naylor and Landsberg this morning, where they asked when the Leafs window to a win a championship will open they seemed to think The Leafs could be a contender as early as next season and you know what? I agree.

some of you will laugh at that but I do not see why the team has it's core in place in Matthews Marner Nylander Andersen Reilly and Gardinr

it's like it was said on the radio, this team has a great forward group but they have a hole on the back end

the good thing is you have guys like Matthews and Marner on their ELC contracts and they already look like stars so you have the money to bring in a couple big pieces and fill a hole

I think if you can bring in a Shattenkirk or a Fowler or an Alzner someone of that caliber then the window opens

I also think if we can bring in a backup goalie like a Scott Darling or even though he's having a bad year a brian Elliott then you have a team that can compete

I do not think they are far off

I think with the right moves the window could open next year
next year if they can add a good 20 plus minute defenseman ,and get the right veteran leadership ,right now ,other than kadri and uncle leo ,the vets are being carried ,marner 19 yerars old carrying a line doesn't bode well .in 2 years these kids will own this division ,but I say 5-7 new faces away

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
I'm not sure you need to save the cap per se as much as you need to be in a position where you can make it available when you need it.

The way I'm looking at it, that amounts to the same thing. First you save, then you can spend if and when you need to.

next year if they can add a good 20 plus minute defenseman ,and get the right veteran leadership ,right now ,other than kadri and uncle leo ,the vets are being carried ,marner 19 yerars old carrying a line doesn't bode well .in 2 years these kids will own this division ,but I say 5-7 new faces away

It might be fine if only the veterans were a bit easier to carry. ;)

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad