Management When does SWEENEY decide and let us know

Caper Bruins fan

Dec 4, 2011
Cape Breton
If he has to then its a different game and would be brutal for them, like I said the rumours say their Gm knows their window is 2 years before the next huge contracts and missing their 1st year due to Price injury would be awful for them but not for us.

Right now they are missing their Marchand, then if All in they want to add another top6 winger to that and suddenly their wing group isn't a weakness anymore, + another D-player.
Then it would be really difficult to see team beating them in the Atlantic.

How much will also San Joses pick play into this, if it's looking like a top5-10 pick will it be easier for Sweeney to keep Lou/trade our own 1st for deadline help?

I can't wait to beat the Habs in the playoffs. What do you think BB88, can we do it ?

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002
Does he think we can win the cup ? Is that the goal for him ? Is this team surprising him ? Did he think in his own mind this was a bridge year ? Does he still think that ? These are questions I would like to know. Where do we stand ?

As of right now, I think we are way better then most people thought. And I think even if we stay pat, We are getting better and better and will continue to improve as the D gains familiarity and experience. In my opinion we are a Winger for Krejci and a number 1-2 DMAN away from being a legit cup contender. Beleskey is a fine player. But not a first liner. With CHARA, BERGIE and KREJCI getting up there, we cannot waste a year in my opinion if we are as close as we seem to be getting. Does he trade Loui ?. How can he if we are competing as a top 5 team in the conference ? I know we have Cap space 4 M ??? Plus we have Kelly money. Not sure what the total is. In my opinion Sweeney needs to go for the cup this year. We have many chips to play with, we have draft picks and we have cap space. I see no reason why we are not a win now team. It is not like their are dominant teams out there. It is wide open and Sweeney needs to go for it all. Just my opinion in my first post.

my take is

Sweeney thinks this is a playoff team right now but not one of the handful of Eastern Cup finalists- a lot can happen from now till April

I don't think he is surprised at all- they are on a 103 point pace that probably gets them 5ish spot

what I'm certain he thinks is 'we are bringing in skilled, fast, and character players and that will sooner rather than later pay dividends

my advice is let it evolve....you cant hurry love, and you cant hurry a Cup winning team

It's very competitive Conference- the Red Wings look really good, Washington and the Rangers are strong, the Penguins just made a great move in getting Mike Sullivan- he'll put the fun into dysfunctional with them. Tampa Bay is very good- the Canadiens if they can get Price back he will be in the hunt

I see Boston somewhere around 6-10 and around 100 points if they remain healthy

BB88

Jan 19, 2015
I can't wait to beat the Habs in the playoffs. What do you think BB88, can we do it ?

It would demand a top pairing D but how do you get that without killing the quality of top6?

With the way Julien plays Chara and what we have in the defense it doesn't look good, I'm afraid Chara's tank is empty after regular season, and McQuaid/Seids/Krug can't be all logging +20 min nights in the playoffs.

But our top12 with Pasta can be fun to watch, if they don't send Vatrano down.

Ten Thousand Hours

Aug 17, 2010
Boston
It makes me laugh to hear people demand this kind of information. Why on earth would any GM give out anything more than generalities on organizational plans? Sure there are some GMs that love to hear their voice played back by the media. But none of those have any long term success either.

"You will get nothing and like it!"

I assumed the post meant he will let us know through his actions.

I don't think we necessarily have to pick a direction, but I would like to add a young defenseman, even if it's at the expense of current talent up front.

jdz

May 22, 2013
If Montreal truly goes All in like the rumours suggest can't see a team in the Atlantic that could beat them.
Their window is the next 2 years and they want a Cup.

Montreal don't have enough offensive creativity to win Stanley as constructed, and they have very little cap to remedy that. The spurt of goals early on this year was an aberration.

Honestly I don't even think they're good enough to get out of the east.

shackattack

Dec 9, 2015
Washington and New York are the clear favorites BUT one of them has to be knocked out in the second round. The Atlantic is a free for all right now. A healthy Montreal is dangerous, Tampa Bay may finally wake up. Detroit is playing far better than expected.

Ottawa may have been exposed as frauds last night. The Bruins :dunno:

There are only 2 teams that scare me in a 7 game series - Montreal for all the usual drama and Washington - any other team I like the Bruins chances to advance.

The Rangers are no better then Boston.Montreal hammered them twice this year too.Washington to me is cut above the rest but if Boston added a bit of help never know.Without Sweeney saying anything I think his moves or decisions will let everyone know his thoughts come March.Just my opinions.:)

shackattack

Dec 9, 2015
see i think we try and deal loui at or before the deadline for a top 3 dman.

Better be careful here not to get ripped again.One good thing is Sweeney played defence at NHL level.I do not want no Yandle type.lol Invisable too many nites .

CharasLazyWrister

Sep 8, 2008
Northborough, MA
So who is your favorite in the east ? I have not seen anyone that I think is so much better then the Bruins. I would like to see us beat the Habs with Price, But other then that nobody scares me.

Again, I don't know our cap space but seems to me we could fit two quality players pro rated for the final 1/3rd of the season. I guess my hope is that Sweeney realizes we can win this because we can if he goes for it.

I think we can afford to trade our number one. KOKO, SUBBAN.....That would be an attractive package or for someone I believe. And it would not hurt Boston at all.

"Nobody scares me".

I've really come to accept that phrase, in relation to opponents of a team you root for, to be a real throw away.

No one "scares you" because you're talking from a point of pride of being a fan, not one where you have to take action and execute a game plan to win. This implication that there is some sort of huge difference between the best and the worst in the NHL is silly. It's not a beer league where there is one team way better than all the others.

I guess what I'm saying is, there are 29 teams that should "scare you".

And realistically speaking, how the **** can you say the Capitals don't scare you based on this year's play and their recent run against us? And you know...maybe the best player in the world being on their team. Please explain the logic there.

bigdukesix

Jul 12, 2015
Did he think in his own mind this was a bridge year ?

This isn't a bridge year because right now there is really no reason to expect Boston to be better next year than this year. None of their prospects are close, and Pastrnak is really the only high-upside young player on the team.

There is no bridging going on.

How much will also San Joses pick play into this, if it's looking like a top5-10 pick will it be easier for Sweeney to keep Lou/trade our own 1st for deadline help?

Sweeney would need to be fired on the spot if he keeps Loui and trades the Bruins first at the deadline for anything other than long-term help. There is no way this team is good enough to justify that kind of short-term mentality.

radmcfad

Apr 19, 2006
Great thread. New posters often add interesting perspective. I've been wondering the same damn thing for weeks with regard to Sweeney. Where does he see this team and what's his next move?

Last edited:

shackattack

Dec 9, 2015
I'd like to think a top dman in the draft is Sweeney's target once again. Landing chychurn would be amazing.

It would be awesome to land him.He was cut from Team Canada today and was so upset that he could not even talk to media.I love the fact he lets this type of thing bother him.It shows me he has heart and hates not succeeding.On other hand it could be taken as he is still immature.If that is case I understand that too being with his age and probably never been cut in hockey before.
The thing here that concerns me is Boston is building in a way now through the draft yet they still have alot of great players in their prime.Its a sketchy area to sit in.I am not sure the answer either but know it will cost to add the pieces needed to be considered a legit Cup threat by many.And that is not saying as is now that they could not go on a run like Oilers or Canes or Flames did before as example of past cinderella teams.This team is close too.Two good pickups could change everything but at what cost.:banghead::headache::huh: lol

Last edited:

BB88

Jan 19, 2015
Montreal don't have enough offensive creativity to win Stanley as constructed, and they have very little cap to remedy that. The spurt of goals early on this year was an aberration.

Honestly I don't even think they're good enough to get out of the east.

Don't underestimate them, if they do decide to go all in our chances against them are very weak.
I'm hoping they don't have enough to win the Cup, would be perfect for us, to go All in for 2years and get nothing for it.
But then they would be the top team in the Atlantic.

This isn't a bridge year because right now there is really no reason to expect Boston to be better next year than this year. None of their prospects are close, and Pastrnak is really the only high-upside young player on the team.

There is no bridging going on.

Sweeney would need to be fired on the spot if he keeps Loui and trades the Bruins first at the deadline for anything other than long-term help. There is no way this team is good enough to justify that kind of short-term mentality.

Agree completely and I've been saying that all season long.

jdz

May 22, 2013
Don't underestimate them, if they do decide to go all in our chances against them are very weak.
I'm hoping they don't have enough to win the Cup, would be perfect for us, to go All in for 2years and get nothing for it.
But then they would be the top team in the Atlantic.

Noones really talking about us vs them. I dont believe they have the horses to get out of the east, whether they're playing us or not. There are a couple of clubs in the metro that will give them a lot of trouble over a 7 game series.

Montreal are certainly all-in and have been for a while. Noone is just going to pony up a couple of quality wingers at the deadline for them without them giving up significant guys in return is what im saying.

jdz

May 22, 2013

Trading a point per game player for an inferior return just for the sake of trading them because we're 'looking long term' is also terrible management.

I dont think anyone should worry about Don Sweeney and trading veteran wingers for a decent package if it comes along anyway. See Lucic, Milan.

Tampbear

Apr 10, 2015
Tampa
I hope the focus is more on getting experience for our young team and not as much on going all in. Spooner, Vatrano, Pasta, Connolly all need another year to get comfortable in the NHL, all have shown improvement in their short time here but all are still finding their game in the NHL. The D has a similar situation with C. Miller, Morrow, and Trotman all trying to establish themselves as NHL defenseman. We have another set of first year 4th liners in Ferraro, Kemppainnen, and Randell. The fact that all these kids are stepping up their games is very encouraging, but they need more time in the NHL before we really compete. I'd be surprised if even with a couple of big additions this young team could handle a long playoff run.

PsychoDad

Apr 20, 2007
Berlin
I think it's safe to assume that we are not contending and no late trade deadline deal is going to change that. We don't have enough substance right now and by the time we have Chara unfortunately will be gone. But we can still use him to help our young guys making the next step and shouldering the weight when the time is right.

ODAAT

Oct 17, 2006
Victoria BC
Sweeney is not going to let "us" know anything I would imagine.

I don't think the B's have enough Cap space to add a Top 6 wing AND a 1-2 D-man to this roster? You are welcome to your opinion, but I don't think the B's are a legit Cup contender without adding a top pair D, and even with one, not sure I would consider them a favorite.

Maybe that's just me?

Not just you GD, 2-3 pieces away IMO, D has 3 playing who, IMO have shown get eaten alive vs fast teams on more nights than not but I have to say, love this teams energy for the most part, never feel ripped off nor shut the TV off after 1 period like I did far too often last year

There`s no way Sweeney can`t see what many of us see or is fooled to believe this team has all the necessary pieces. If they were to start the playoff today, I think the B`s would be one of those teams who`ll give whomever their opponent is all they can handle, "maybe" pull a 1st round upset but that`s about it.

77bestever*

"Nobody scares me".

I've really come to accept that phrase, in relation to opponents of a team you root for, to be a real throw away.

No one "scares you" because you're talking from a point of pride of being a fan, not one where you have to take action and execute a game plan to win. This implication that there is some sort of huge difference between the best and the worst in the NHL is silly. It's not a beer league where there is one team way better than all the others.

I guess what I'm saying is, there are 29 teams that should "scare you".

And realistically speaking, how the **** can you say the Capitals don't scare you based on this year's play and their recent run against us? And you know...maybe the best player in the world being on their team. Please explain the logic there.

Well the Caps recent run against us means nothing as we are a completely different team then were were the last few years going back to 2012......What teams do in the past means nothing.....The fact that nobody scares me is a reality, We just beat Tampa, NYR, Montreal, Islanders, Detroit the last couple weeks and even had we lost, those teams showed me nothing that would stand out as me the fan saying wow, we can never beat that team in seven,,,,Quite the opposite honestly....PRICE led HABS are a different story as the Bruins need to get past the mental aspect in order to beat them on the ice..........As for the Caps....I am going to have to see with them. They have been here before and never get it done.....And OV also needs to show up in the big games before I anoint them the beast of the east......Nope, Like I said, nobody in the east scares me that much that I don't think if Sweeney gats us a solid 1-2-3 Dman and a guy who can play with Krejci.......That we cant be playing in June.....

DominicT

Sep 6, 2009
Stratford Ontario
dom.hockey
It would be awesome to land him.He was cut from Team Canada today and was so upset that he could not even talk to media.I love the fact he lets this type of thing bother him.It shows me he has heart and hates not succeeding.On other hand it could be taken as he is still immature.If that is case I understand that too being with his age and probably never been cut in hockey before.
The thing here that concerns me is Boston is building in a way now through the draft yet they still have alot of great players in their prime.Its a sketchy area to sit in.I am not sure the answer either but know it will cost to add the pieces needed to be considered a legit Cup threat by many.And that is not saying as is now that they could not go on a run like Oilers or Canes or Flames did before as example of past cinderella teams.This team is close too.Two good pickups could change everything but at what cost.:banghead::headache::huh: lol

Chychrun didn't shy away from talking to the media. He's always open to talking to them.

Hockey Canada kept him from talking to the media for obvious reasons. Totally their decision.

77bestever*

Ding, Ding, Ding.....We have a winner. Best response to my original post. Exactly, Bergie, Krejci, Chara and a few others just don't have time for bridge years or rebuild years. They are a cup winning nucleus still playing at a high level. And that's why Sweeney owes it to us as fans and these players to go all out this season to win the cup. There is no excuse not to. He has many many chips. KOKO,SUBBAN, SPOONER, SEIDS, two number ones, a few prospects with bottom six potential, a few solid college players with NHL potential.......As long as this team is top 8 in the conference, then with a couple slight changes that can make a run. That's all I ask for is a hard kick at the can from management.

Burt Reynolds

Feb 21, 2010
Mansfield, MA
Well the Caps recent run against us means nothing as we are a completely different team then were were the last few years going back to 2012......What teams do in the past means nothing.....The fact that nobody scares me is a reality, We just beat Tampa, NYR, Montreal, Islanders, Detroit the last couple weeks and even had we lost, those teams showed me nothing that would stand out as me the fan saying wow, we can never beat that team in seven,,,,Quite the opposite honestly....PRICE led HABS are a different story as the Bruins need to get past the mental aspect in order to beat them on the ice..........As for the Caps....I am going to have to see with them. They have been here before and never get it done.....And OV also needs to show up in the big games before I anoint them the beast of the east......Nope, Like I said, nobody in the east scares me that much that I don't think if Sweeney gats us a solid 1-2-3 Dman and a guy who can play with Krejci.......That we cant be playing in June.....

Are you forgetting that this team has almost 0 ability to score on Braden Holtby? The guy lives in the head of this Bruins team regardless. Also saying the past means nothing is foolish. Do we just ignore how good Chicago has been the last 5+ years? Do we just discredit the fact that they have a championship pedigree and the talent, leadership and experience to whoop anyone? I get what you mean, but come on.

CharasLazyWrister

Sep 8, 2008
Northborough, MA

Your overall mindset is pretty insane.

Winning a playoff round will be a huge challenge, as it is every year. Sweeney could make trades for Crosby and Ovechkin; the playoffs would still be challenging, trust me.

It's not nearly as simple as you make it out to be. I understand we're flying pretty high right now due to beating the Habs, and just generally looking like a respectable team (which is great considering what we looked like after the first three games of the season), but the playoffs and the rest of the RS is nothing but a ****ing grind. Saying another team doesn't "scare you" and there's no way we shouldn't be playing in June with some moves is nuts.

On top of that, you're somehow expecting Sweeney to land a top pairing D-man and a first line player for Krejci apparently without hurting the rest of the team.

I'm really not trying to be a jerk, but your whole mindset seems rather rudimentary and preposterous.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad